Best Western Hotel Royal Bournemouth

16 Gervis Road, East Cliff, (formerly Anglo Swiss) Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 3EQ, United Kingdom

BEST WESTERN Hotel Royale
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Wow!

Fantastic value at newly upgraded hotel. I got a ?40 per night bed and breakfast deal on the internet and had a double room to mysefl.

Unique Quality: All refurbished with great public areas and a very helpful young staff. There`s a large indoor pool with a spa bath and sauna with outdoor seating for the summer.

The restaurant is well run and whilst I didnt eat there at night the breakfast was fine.

The location is a few minutes walk from most things you`d want to do, though Bournemouth is rather hilly!

I`d definitely use this hotel again.

Directions: one block back from the seafront on the east cliff. Almost opposite the east cliff lift.

More about Best Western Hotel Royal Bournemouth

Anglo Swiss came to our rescue

My husband and I have just returned home from a two night break at the Anglo Swiss Hotel. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and called at the hotel on spec after we had to check ourselves out of the original three star hotel we had booked due to it being shabby, dirty and nothing like the photographs on their web page.

Anyway getting back to the Anglo Swiss we cannot fault this hotel at all and I don't think we had one of the best rooms in the hotel. Our room was at the side of the hotel and was not double glazed like the front of the hotel. However, we realised the refurbishment programme was ongoing and that soon all of the rooms would be double glazed.

On checking into the hotel we were asked if we would like to see our room before accepting it. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. All of the downstairs rooms - dining room, bar, reception and conference rooms have been refurbished and are very pleasant. The staff in the dining room are helpful and friendly and also the bar staff.

Our room was very clean except for net curtains which we put down to the dust from the workmen doing the double glazing. Our bed was comfortable and clean. There was a trouser press, hair dryer, kettle and a complimentary tea, coffee basket. The towels were changed if you put them in the bath and the room serviced every day.

We cannot understand the bad reviews about this hotel and can only thank the Anglo Swiss for coming to the rescue for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
We love Bournemouth and will certainly add this hotel to our list of places to stay.

Sorry But I Disagree

by TripAdvisor Member Reivers

Sorry but I have found the standards and service at this hotel to be consistently poor. For the price I paid I would expect to have a clean room and good service.

Generally the staff are friendly enough but they seem to be poorly managed and trained.

I explained to a Manager that I was going to write to his head office to complain but he abruptly told me not to waste my time as the letter would just be forwarded to him to reply to.

When I was told that "if I didnt like it to try somewhere else next time" I was shocked.

The bar service was appauling and the room had not been cleaned properly.

Next time I will take the Manager's advice and "try somewhere else"

finish what you started...

The hotel was very nice, clean & stylishly furnished & decorated downstairs. The receptionist was polite, but our room was awful. It was in need of a serious makeover job - the furnishings poor, the decor really dated and the bed was simply awful. After an night with hardly any sleep in a lumpy bed, with terrible pillows, we decided not to complete our stay in this hotel. The member of staff who we complained to obviously had no sense of feeling as he said he couldn't see the problem with the bed!?! It is a shame as the rest of the hotel looked so nice, so when the hotel invest in new beds and complete the renovations, then please stay in this hotel - until this time - I wouldn't advise it! Of course this was only one room - they didn't have another available for us to try. And I didn't even get to see or try out the pool, which from the picts looked great!

There must be better.....

Hi, my girlfreind and i stayed here for one night and from looking at the website and reading reviews it sounded good.

On arrival the staff were very poilte and attentive and the reception area lovely- although i think they have spent their money on doing up the public areas of the hotel for weddings/parties etc as the rooms certianley were not on par.

Our room was tiny. You had to walk side ways round the bed and as for the bathroom- i am not a tall man- but i could literay only just sit on the toilet without banging my legs on the sink. The radiator also did not work and ehnce the room was cold all the time.

What we also discovered during the night was how thin the walls were between rooms. We could hear a woman next door on one side being sick all night and flushing the toilet constanley and on the other side a couple arguing till the early hours..

We thought we would try the pools and spa the next day to get over a restless night, it was actually very nice, except that you have to go outside of the hotel and walk through the carpark and past the Grundon bins to get to it, and this seemed to be a permanent arrangement.

The breakfast was very good- lots on offer- but really didn't make up poor quality of the rooms.

I think there must be better in Bournemouth...

best Christmas ever thank you so much

It was definitely the best Christmas we have ever had away from home. The rooms we had were all wanderful, the service was friendly and most helpful and the food superb all the time. The othe rguests staying were very nice and we really did have a great stay. Altogether had 8 rooms with old and young and have rebooked for this year! Thank you to all cocerned for making it si special.

Terrible rooms

Myself and my husband rarely get away for the weekend without the children and were really looking forward to our trip. But the state of our room ruined our weekend. The room depicted in the internet photographs was nothing like the actual room. The hotel reception had been refurbished and looked modern and welcoming. Howeveronce upstairs the corridors were scruffy with patched and peeling, dirty, wallpaper. On reaching our room I could have cried there was peeling wallpaper revealing damp patches, the ceiling in our third floor room looked about to fall in, formica was peeling from the cupboards, there was a large ciggarette burn in the net curtains, the bed was lumpy with ancient faded covers and the whole room looked like a cheap B&B. Unfortunately we could not cancel without incurring a large penalty from the internet booking travel company, so we were stuck with it. Please dont make the same mistake as we did.

A hotel to be recommended!

We booked into the Anglo Swiss Hotel at the last minute and were not disappointed. We had a most enjoyable stay and found that the ground floor had been upgraded to a high specification and understand that they are now refurbishing some of the bedrooms. Our room was excellent and so were the other facilities. Staff were polite and welcoming, and also very helpful with information about the local amenities. The hotel is situated very close to the town centre, just a short walk away. We were not disappointed with our choice, in fact it exceeded our expectations.

ok

by TripAdvisor Member mick44k

reception & bar were lovely,the bedroom was small but adequate for a weekend,which we were taking.
the staff were friendly & helpful,bar prices the same as outside,i recommend the sandwiches on the bar menu.
best of all was the breakfast unbelievable,we didnt need lunch

Friendly, Comfortable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jerseyscrubber

My two sisters and I spent a lovely weekend at the Anglo Swiss Hotel. At booking in the staff were really helpful and pleasant, and very concerned that the renovations in progress would disturb us in any way.Which they didn't. The smell of fresh paint didn't bother us and the workmen, when we came across them were cheerful and polite. The rooms were clean and serviced every day. The lounge areas were spacious and comfortable. Each member of staff was so happy to please-nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this hotel to any one visiting Bournemouth.

Comments