Chine Hotel Bournemouth

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Chine Hotel Bournemouth

Fantastic Food!

by TripAdvisor Member daisychain28

We have just returned from this lovely hotel, and I can say quite honestly I would be happy to return. The hotel is an older hotel, and as such is quiet, dark and lots of antique mirrors and full of atmosphere, not a chrome minimilistic place.
Our rooms were in the West wing annexe, and had been newly refurbished and were very clean and comfortable, however as a last minute booking for half term they had no view as such, but I did ask for adjoining or rooms opposite for our older children so I am sure this restricted the allocation. Can't fault the room, and the en suite was like new also and spotless, and cleaned daily to a high standard.
We stayed on a half board basis, and the dining room was quite formal, no jeans on an evening, and the food was very good. The restaurant has won 2 rosettes for fine dining and it is deserved.
The leisure club was very nice, the indoor pool is smallish, and we timed our visits to the other childrens special tea time or kids club times so as to avoid the rush of young children:-} Obviously we were out of season for the outdoor pool, but the gardens are well cared for and very pretty. I'm sure they would be very enjoyable in spring/summer.We found the staff friendly and polite and helpful at all times. Many were young and foreign, but we found this to be no problem and I do believe if you are nice to people they are nice to you. We did see one guest who was quite rude to the staff, barking out orders, and generally being diffficult,and it served only to reflect poorly on him and his family, not the staff who pleasantly carried out their duties.
A very nice break, and we will return. We got a great rate through the Best Western offer in the Daily Mail, it was half price and we will look out for this offer in future.

Expensive with a duff room

by TripAdvisor Member John-from-Woodham

We booked to stay at this hotel for 3 nights but only stayed one!

The hotel is an imposing pile overlooking the chine and sea to the east of Bournemouth. The surrounding area is best described as financially challenged.

We where allocated "one of the best rooms" - wouldn't much fancy an ordinary room on htis basis - which was located in a large house next to the hotel, they had obviously bought the street by way of expansion. It was rather like entering a student bedsit. The room was on the ground floor, first on the left through the front door. The outlook was a tad dissapointing, no sea view here, just a garage wall, a dilapidated fence and a pile of old junk.

The en-suite bathroom resembled a converted wardrobe, very tight with a shower and a loo but no bath!

The TV was a flat screen of dubious quality.

Over to the bar, we were pleased to note that Ringwood bitter was on offer but this turned out to be a big mistake. The boy, there is no other way of describing same, had no idea how to pul a pint. Not only that, the beer would make a fine condiment for chips - it was very rough and past it's best. The beer was duly rejected but the poor lad had to fetch the front of desk staff, a very snooty woman who thought all this nonsense was far below her, who pulled a further pint though, added some to a small glass, tasted it and past it fit for human consumption. The new, invigorated pint arrived - it was just about as bad as the first. I gave up at this point and settled for bottled lager.

We did eat in that night and the food was very good, as was the choice of wine. The service was what you'de expect in a hotel such as this.

We left Bournemouth next morning and headed for the Crown at Blandford Forum - an altogether better experience.

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member BinAllOver

I stayed at The Chine for 2 nights whilst working in Poole. I booked this hotel mainly for the Leisure Facilities. Both the indoor pool and gym are small but were very quiet so this wasn't a problem - I had the pool to myself on both nights! My only suggestion (and definitely not a criticism) would be to provide a spin dryer in the changing rooms for swimwear.

I paid a little extra for a room with a sea view and wasn't disappointed! The room was huge with an enormous window looking out to the sea (room 201 - above the restaurant). In fact, the usual portable TV looked a little lost and could have done with being full size! The bathroom was also huge and the entire room was spotlessly clean.

I found the reception staff extremely helpful and friendly. I ate in the restaurant on the first night and found the service very slow but the food was delicious and I had my dessert delivered to my room. The second night I had room service and, again, the food was delicious and was delivered very quickly - much quicker than going into the restaurant! Breakfast on both morning was more than adequate.

A few days after my stay, I noticed I had been double-charged for dinner on the first night (my own fault really for not checking the bill properly) so I rang the hotel. They couldn't apologise enough and refunded the over-charge immediately.

I was hoping to go back to The Chine in September with my Fiance but unfortuantely, they are fully booked for the weekend we want. However, I shall defintely stay there again when my work takes me back to either Poole or Bournemouth.

Great Last Minute break

by TripAdvisor Member CyclingManBeds

Just returned from a great break at the hotel.
Room large (in the West Wing) for the 5 of us with excellent views over the Chine and to the sea.
Kids loved the indoor pool.
Great breakfast
Only gripe was the parking, bit tight when the hotel is full, but do not let this put you off.
Kids now badgering us to go again

Amazing Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LynnMiddlesex

We stayed from 18th-21st May after reading reviews on this website and what a fantastic hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, polite, efficient and seemedly genuinely happy in their roles. The room was very spacious and spotlessly cleaned every day. We had a seaview and partial garden view room and the grounds were stunning.

The other guest areas including the bar and restaurant were very well maintained and the food in the restaurant was fantastic and worthy of more than the 2 AA rosettes it currently holds.

The leisure facilities, although we didn't use them, also looked very nice.

We visited two of the other hotels in the FJB chain (this hotel is partially owned by Best Western and FJB) and it more than stood up for itself against The Sandbanks and The Haven.

Would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay there and would go back again ourselves.

Never a 3 star hotel, more like a low grade B&B

by TripAdvisor Member holidaywebb

This hotel is absolutely terrible! From the moment I arrived it came across as a cowboy operation. When I checked in the staff were playing around with each other behind the reception desk and it took then around 4 minutes (and about three sexual jokes to each other) to even realise I was standing there! When I got to my so called superior room the heating was off, it smelt strongly of cigarette smoke, the tv didnt work and the toilet was dirty. I called down to reception and was told someone would deal with it straight away. 3 hours later I came back to my room and nothing had been done. I wanted to speak with the manager only to be told he was busy with meetings and the late duty manager would be here shortly. Later I was greated by a gentleman who claimed to be the duty manager but was wearing a tracksuit! The guy was apparently the leisure club manager and was very little help. I went to have a drink in the bar later only to find the bar man reading the paper behind the bar, then I went into the restaurant to be greated by possibly the most unfriendly individual I have ever met and she is apparently the restaurant manager, a little advise dear, it helps to smile once in a while! The service was rushed and the food little more than what you would find in a low grade pub. The breakfast in the morning was alot better as it was an all you could eat buffet and the leisure club was very relaxing but other than that probably the worst experience of my life! I asked to speak with the manager again in the morning who must be very busy dealing with compaints as yet again he was still unavailable due to meetings! For the price I paid I would expect alot more than what I recieved and will most definately not be going back.

Overall my best experience of this hotel was leaving!

Ridiculous

by TripAdvisor Member tbarYork

All I can say is terrible all round. We booked a few days before and paid for a double room, when we got to the hotel and checked in we were taken to an average room which has 2 single beds in! When we questioned why we had no double we were told that the hotel was full and that they couldnt give us a double room! We went to have a drink in the bar but it was closed for a private function, we checked at reception and was told to sit in the residents lounge and someone will come and take our order, 20 minutes later still no one! Eventually we just got in a taxi and went into town. There seemed to be a very poor attitude from the staff like they couldnt be bothered and if someone asked for something they acted like they were being put out! Quite frankly their attitude was awful. I spoke with a lady who had food and beverage manager on her badge, well from the cocky attitude from this lady im suprised that anyone would employ her (I can see where the rest of the staff got their attitude from!) We even had problems originally booking at this hotel as the girl who took the booking was constantly trying to get us to book at one of their other hotels in Poole, however we were visiting friends in Bournemouth so that option wasnt good for us!

I definately would not return and I would recommend that anyone who did consider booking at the hotel change their minds, very expensive for VERY poor service!

taking advantage of the fact that there are not many so called child friendly h

by TripAdvisor Member themk80

We booked three nights in the chine hotel before arriving there after viewing ther web site. It claimed to be a child friendly hotel. The hotel was in an average street in boscombe, bournemouth. When entering are hotel room we were was greeted with a very shabby cot for ou rbaby girl which seemed to date back about thirty years. The decor in the room was drap and dismal. For a child friendly hotel i was shocked to discover that there was no fridge in the hotel room (I THEREFORE HAD NO WERE TO STORE HER BABY FOOD.) We immediately set out to find ourselves another hotel. Dinner at the hotel was nice and we were pleased to find other families there with young children at dinner.... The outdoor pool looked lovely although we were unable to use it due to weather conditions.... On check out when given our receipt for our night stay we were rather taken a back to find that a pint of beer at the hotel had cost us a whooping £5.10 I really cannot understand what makes this hotel "child friendly" and needless to say will not be using it again

Pleasantly Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member 1987carl

The hotel can certainly brag about its large gardens, to my surprise, being located right on top of sandy beaches it holds nearly 3 acres gardens (after speaking to a waiter)! The room I Stayed in, I have to say was trendier than some 4star hotels I have stayed in, including a 32” LCD, if only it had the full sky package to compliment! The food was exceptional also, I had Pork scallops. Cheerful & helpful staff complimented my stay.

Faultless

by TripAdvisor Member lolly2007

Having read through some other recent reviews of The Chine Hotel, either they were very unlucky or we were very lucky!!

We have just returned from a weekend overnight stay and honestly can't fault it. The location is stunning, with a walk to the beach taking less than 5 minutes through the hotel's beautiful gardens. We had a double room overlooking the garden, which turned out to be a spacious family room that had a sea view and a huge balcony which was gorgeous. We had asked for one of their best garden view rooms and they certainly didn't disappoint.

Upon arriving at the hotel, a wedding party was arriving and the car park was pretty much full up - but they had a porter waiting outside showing people where to park, which made our lives a lot easier. The wedding didn't intrude on our stay at all, as it was all contained in the function room with private garden area.

The food in the restaurant is fantastic, along with the service - efficient without being intrusive. My partner had also requested the best table in the restaurant (he went on to propose!), so they gave us a lovely window table overlooking the sea.

After a few too many drinks that evening, the huge array of breakfast choices the next morning was a welcome sight! We had fresh fruit followed by a delicious cooked breakfast which was buffet style, so you could simply help yourself. It was all hot, well stocked and well cooked, even though the breakfast room was nearly full. We asked for poached eggs, which have to be cooked to order, and they came out hot with a runny yolk, just as we asked. So often they arrive overcooked!

Everything about The Chine is well kept and clean, from the gardens and swimming pool to the bedrooms.

During our stay, each member of staff went out of their way to do as much as they could for us - they were very friendly and extremely accommodating. I have already recommended The Chine to friends and family, and we wouldn't hesitate in going back.

Comments