Durley Hall And Spa

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Durley Hall And Spa

Nice Hotel, Good Food & Lovely Spa!

by TripAdvisor Member DeeLiteLondon

Stayed here for the bank holiday weekend with my husband on the travelzoo offer. When we first arrived I wasn't overly impressed as it just seemd a lot smaller than I had expected, but once we got to our room I was pleasantly surprised, the room was quite spacious, clean and well equipped, lcd tv, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer and iron and ironing board and the bed was very comfortable!

We ate in the Merlot restaurant and really enjoyed our meals in there. The menu is not extensive which is probably why the food is good and maybe because it was the weekend they also provided entertainment in the form of a very competent singer.

The hotel itself is located very close the town centre and beach and pier, roughly 10 minute walk.

We also had a few spa treatments, facial and massage and I can definitely recommend Lisa (therapist) who works in there. She was very professional and definitely knew what she was doing.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're thinking of going to Bournemouth.

Good, but still issues with service

by TripAdvisor Member NZGirl41

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend. We had a lovely break, weather fab, location fab, and I don't want this review to be all negative. But we didn't get the room upgrade that was promised during booking (problem with Hallmark not contacting us to confirm booking, and hence required rooms not available). Manager was meant to contact me during our stay to sort out, but never heard from the manager - customer service disappointing. Food and drink service was slow most of the time. Food when it arrived as very good, well presented. Enjoyed the entertainment provided during the evening meals, this was a nice touch.

Wi Fi connection at times was problematic, but once sorted was good.

Beach only 5 minute walk away, town 10 to 15 mins- location good. Would probably stay again, but would make sure that booking was confirmed faster.

Great Hotel First Class food Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Rodders2

Its hard to fault this hotel.
We are always a bit nervous going to a new place as some of the Hotels we have stayed at in the uk are terrible.
But what a pleasent supprise. The food was first class, Best we have had in a long time. The chief has borowed some ideas from the top guys and done a splendid job.
Staff were very good and did that little bit above what was expected.
Health Spa, Gym and swiming pool were very clean and well put together.
Slight downers were the creaking floor boards in our executive room, and whilst a wedding party below was not to loud, the constand escaping of smokers through the fire exit was a slight distraction. The Car park is also quite small so beware if you go out when a function is on.
Food 9/10
Facilities 8/10
Staff 9/10
Cleanliness 8/10
Room 7/10

Some good points but....

by TripAdvisor Member touristWarwickshire

Stayed here about 3 years ago when it was privately run and enjoyable so recommended this hotel to our family who were travelling with us. Hotel takeover seems to have resulted in certain issues. Staff do not seem to be working as a team in some areas, took 2 hours on Sunday evening to serve us when there were only about 8-10 other people in the restaurant. Also there was limited choice on the menu as they had run out of things. Food when served was very good. Rooms were clean and not bad but not sure they are worth £175 for an executive room,not convinced executive standard, staircase wasn't hoovered from the time we arrived to departure(4 days). The new mission seems to be to get in as many parties and events as possible regardless of the hotel residents, Saturday day a barbecue had been organised for outside paying customers so all tables and sunbeds dominated by this, hotel guests you will have to please yourselves. Friday evening because of 2 functions hotel guests had to book what time they wanted dinner preferably before 8pm as they were going to be busy with the food for the functions!!! Compared prices of other hotels in the area with similar facilities, Durley quite expensive. Organisation need to invest in a training programme for all staff from the top down. Praise must go to Marie a member of waiting staff who was such a bright light and so helpful, she's the example of how the staff ought to be. The different age groups in the family all agreed about service and standards. Check bill as ours had supplements for dinner which we had already paid for in the room rate. Wouldn't go again.

Honesty is the Best Policy

by TripAdvisor Member LymingtonRadman

My wife booked an executive suite a week prior to going to this hotel and according to the website it looked great so we were really looking forward to it.
She booked treatments for me at 1415 and for herself at 1530.
We arrived at 1330 and was told by the receptionist that the room may not be ready - we then told her we had treatments booked and so it would be nice if she would check - she did and lo and behold it was ready.
We went up in the lift (not for the claustrophics among you) and entered the room ...........my wife nearly burst into tears - it was tiny and dark and not what we expected. Anyway, we went down to the spa hoping to cheer ourselves up - not the best I' ve used by any means but the treatments were excellent and very good value - I'd recommend the treatments!!!. While my wife was getting pampered I wandered back to reception to enquire if our room was an executive suite and guess what - it wasn't - but it has executive extras! - a couple of robes and two bottles of water! - which I pointed out it didn't have!! Any more executive rooms available? - "no I'm afraid not" came the reply.
Anyway, after her treatment my wife took the matter into her own hands and asked to see the manager (as we had booked an executive suite) to see what he could do and guess what - a room was available - not what I would call executive but infinitely better than what we had - so we took it. From here on in the stay was delightful - breakfast was very good, the evening meal we had was superb and the staff (not reception) very friendly. OK, the hotel is not brand new but they've done a reasonable job with the room decor and the bar/lounge/dining area is very chic. The indoor pool and the gym was very good and the garden area (sun loungers) cosy. Don't expect too much from the rooms - all said though we would go back again but only if there were deals on.

Nice Hotel in nice location - but check your bill!

by TripAdvisor Member Fireytam

Just got back from a 4 day stay at the Hallmark in Bournemouth, and generally, our stay was good.

When we first arrived, we were put in room 23. This was small, dark, overlooked a flat roof and the bathroom didn't have a window, or extractor! But the ceiling fan didn't work, and having reported it, we were moved to room 50. This was much nicer, a bit bigger with a bay window and window to the bathroom as well.

Beds were really comfy, but have a sheet, fleece blanket, and chenille throw, so no duvets. But there were spare pillows in the wardrobe.

Location of the hotel is perfect if you want a mixture of both going into town and to the beach. Although, there are a lot of hills, so to get down to the beach from the hotel you need to be prepared for a bit of an uphill trek on the way back (only about 5mins walk though) - there is a cliff lift (80p) that is handy, but it's not open all the time.

Spa was nice downstairs - we didn't have any treatments but spent some time in the pool / hot tub / jacuzzi / steam room and sauna. Generally clean and nice, but look a bit tired now.

Didn't go for a meal or have breakfast (costed a fortune) in the hotel and the room service isn't up to anything unless you want wine (there's a £1.50 tray charge for the service too). There's no mini-bar in the room, and the water from the tap doesn't come out cold, so make sure you bring drink into the room or go out!

Internet available for free wirelessly throughout the hotel, but when we couldn't connect and queried this with the staff, we were told it wouldn't be available for five days - but weren't able to give any further explanation!

Only problem we had was when we came to check out and they'd added a bottle of wine, morning papers, and a dinner in the restaurant to our bill which weren't ours! Firstly, we weren't told when we checked in that there would be a charge for a Newspaper, and were simply asked "which paper would you like?", but for two out of three of the mornings, the paper wasn't delivered to our room. It was quite easy to rectify this issue with the staff, who instantly took them off the bill, but I will be checking my credit card bill!

Bit of a let down

by TripAdvisor Member TheLeisureLady

Booked this hotel as it was described as a 4* spa hotel that had under gone major refurbishment. The outside decor was rather shoddy as was the reception welcome, first impressions do count and I was feeling a little down hearted. We were told where are room was and that was it. Opened the door to our "executive room" to find an oppressive, small and dingy room. I had a treatment booked straight away at the spa so hoped this would chill me out and make up for the lack of hospitality.

The spa staff were very friendly but first impressions of the spa was "shock", again I had expected a 4* facility as described so my expectations were high. The spa area was run down and needs a major refurbishment, the tiles are dirty and need replacing. To opereate the spa we had to stand on the edge and pull a cord, we had to laugh as opposed to crying. I went into the treatment area and I was greated very professionally by my therapist, I have to say the massage was top quality and very very good value, if the surroundings had been different this was indeed 4*, but looking up at the tiled ceiling which had large holes in it and using the changing rooms which had metal corroded lockers the benefit of the wonderful massage was soon lost. I can see that an effort has been made, there is a relaxing room and an armotherapy room, both of which were very nice and if the rest of the spa area was up to this standard it would be great.

A word with reception and we were told there were no more rooms, a word with the manager and our room was changed to a larger one, much nicer, had I had this one in the first place I would have been happy,clean, modern TV, large window and good decor.

We used the pool area, this was great and there were sun beds. this area is very different to the spa area.
We ate in the restaurant, the service was top class as was the food, the decor and ambience was excellant. Breakfast was good to, plenty of choice.

This hotel is a mish mash, parts are top quality and other parts are in a state of major repair. Again the quality of staff is also a mish mash, some are top quality and others need major manners restoration.

Definitely not a 4 Star Hotel as described.

by TripAdvisor Member KentLassKent

Just got back from spending two nights at this hotel. Supposed to be 4 star but on arrival there was no soap in the bathroom to wash our hands with after just arriving following a 4 hour car journey. Went down to reception and was told it would be brought up immediately. 2 hours later it still hadn't arrived so had to go back down to ask again. The ceiling fan didn't work and the water from the cold tap in the sink was very warm, certainly not drinkable. On the second day the housemaid didn't leave us any teabags or milk or biscuits so had to go down to reception and ask the rather surly receptionist who dug around in a cupboard behind her and came up with teabags and milk. The room was small and very hot so we asked for the ceiling fan to be fixed and when we came back they had provided a desktop fan. The food at breakfast was average (a bit cold, but not bad). The one dinner we had there was excellent, couldn't fault it and the staff were a pleasant bunch on the whole, with one or two exceptions. There was no first aider available when there was a crisis in the gym when someone collapsed which I found very disturbing. Overall despite the so-called huge refurbishment it was a bit tatty in places and certainly didn't appear to have undergone a top-notch refurb. The T.V. was a nice model....shame about the lack of channels due to most of them continually breaking up, probably due to poor aerial connections. Several people were complaining about a strange noise in the middle of the night and I've seen that in other reviews. I would stay again purely for the convenience of location....but not at the price they charge.

Faulty Towers - 'Management dont care'

by TripAdvisor Member spaDorset

Went with a group of friends for a special spa day. Which had been booked well in advance. When we arrived not all the facilities were working - Sauna and Jacuzzi. Which we later found out did have quite a huge effect on the overall spa facilities. Would have been nice to at least have had a courtesy call before we turned up, warning us of this. A club member who we spoke to said it had been broken for a few weeks.
We were told by staff that this was why the overall temperature was freezing in the pool and room temperature within the spa area. Also did not have enough robes for all our party. There were only 5 of us and we were the only group booking all day and we arrived at 8 am in the morning.
Had to order our lunch when we arrived at 8am and then when we came to have our lunch they didn't have all the meals ready. Further problems with lunch ordering although when the food finally arrived it was very good.
We were told to complain to the gym manager about problems in spa but they were not in that day. When we asked to speak with the manager of the hotel we were told 'they won't care'.
Seems that this hotel was better when it was privately run as one of our party had been before it was Hallmark and said it was very different.

Disappointing...dont be fooled by the website

by TripAdvisor Member RXT_IAN

When we arrived we were rather surprised at the outside appearance of the hotel, the building looked much older than the website would lead you to believe. Checking in we were rather relieved at the pleasant interior and friendly staff, the room was ready despite arriving before the stated 2pm.

We had an executive room, actually the one shown on the website, it was a good size with a ceiling fan, large flat screen tv, and nice decor. However after the initial look there were gradually more disappointments:
The fire alarm was hanging from its wires out of the ceiling
No fridge/minibar and taps are only able to supply warm water (even set to cold)
Bath had spa jets, but they were broken
No shower curtain so showering flooded the bathroom
View from the window was a disgusting roof
"Double" bed was actually 2 singles pushed together
Bed sheets were very rough
Sauna was broken, as was jacuzzi and other spa features, speaking to a member of the leisure club the spa seemed to be in a perpetual state of dis-repair.
Maid repeatedly knocked on our door at approximately 9AM even though checkout was not until 11AM

To top this all off on checkout there were many charges on our bill that were not ours! These were however quickly reversed.

Comments