26 Derby Road, East Cliff, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 3QB, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Official Site

• The Historic Country House Hotel in Bournemouth

I stayed at this hotel two weeks ago for my anniversary. My Husband Jon booked it as surprise for our first anniversary I had the most fantastic weekend. I have lived in Bournemouth all my life and have driven past the Langtry Manor on numerous occasions and never realized what a hidden gem it is!

It was built by King Edward VII for his mistress Lillie Langtry in 1877. Jon had booked us to stay for a special celebration weekend and he had even booked us into Lillie Langtry’s original suite which had a four poster bed and heart shaped Jacuzzi bath in the room- it was so romantic! When I arrived in my room there was a massive bouquet of flowers on the bed and chocolates by my bedside and champagne on ice- which I am sure you will all agree was a very good start to the weekend!

That evening we had a candlelit dinner in the Restaurant which was stunning ( I had my steak flambéed at the table) and we even got a special surprise with our meal as we were celebrating. The next day we had breakfast in bed then made use of the complimentary passes to Bournemouth’s David Lloyd health club which was lovely as I have always wanted to be a member but the monthly fees are too steep!) We then went for a long walk in the new forest (just a 10 minute drive) which was lovely.

Saturday night was the highlight of the weekend. Jon had arranged for 4 of our very close friends to attend the 6 course Edwardian Banquet. The 6 courses were brought round by staff in Edwardian Tails and the upstairs downstairs uniform and an actress came in and told the Life Story of Edward and Lillie. It was certainly a lively evening and we finally retired to bed at 12.30 extremely full.

I couldn’t fault our stay but next time I want to stay in The Kings room which is absolutely stunning! Jon better start saving!

More about Langtry Manor Hotel

Langtry Manor Hotel Over rated

Date: 11th July 2006
Reveiwer: Middle Aged couple celebrating wedding anniversary.

We have just returned from the Liily Langtry Manor un-impressed. First of all the we were sent over to the lodge away from the main Hotel. Our room carpets and walls were dirty from spilt drink marks, the hallway upstairs lighting did not work so when we returned from a night out we were going upstairs in darkness. There was a lack of tourist information in the lobby as one would normally expect to find.To be honest the place seems to lack atmosphere and could definetley do with some interior decorating.

New Years EVe with a Bang!

by TripAdvisor Member Kettlefish

We stayed at the Langtry Manor during Christmas and New Year. I have nothing at all negative to say about this place. Everything from the service and the food was first class.

The beds were comfortable and being the Christmas season the charm of the hotel was enhanced by the decoration and the friendliness from the staff.

The New Year party went very well and we had quite a good time. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a long weekend break or otherwise.

We will be returning in the summer for a week to enjoy Bournemouth beach and look forward to it.

Three cheers for Lillie.

Charming and Romantic

by TripAdvisor Member SallyLou1974

We have just returned from a weekend at the Langtry Manor and having read previous reviews, their service must have improved dramatically as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

The staff were extremely helpful from beginning to end and even made sure the restaurant stayed open later for us when we phoned to say we were running late due to bad traffic.

The food was beautiful and the service efficient and friendly

There are too many highlights to mention - the beautiful room with a jacuzzi and 4 poster bed, the pre-dinner champagne cocktail; the personalised commorative scroll at dinner for my birthday; the extremely novel do not disturb sign and the rose and chocolates on our pillow; - the Langtry was romantic and charming without ever feeling cheesy.

OK - It's not particulalrly cheap but is well worth the cost and if it's good enough for a king and his mistress, it'll do for me!!

Edwardian Charm - Great food - Let down by the service

by TripAdvisor Member Crawley_guy

Hi

We have stayed at the Langtry Manor three times now over the last 20 years or so. Each time the stay has been very enjoyable.

We have stayed in a small 4 poster room, the Derby Room (I think) in the lodge and the Jersey Lille Suite.

The Jersey lille suite was reasonably spacious with a small seating area and a dressing area, although it is right at the top of the Manor, so the water pressure of the shower was not high.

For a romantic break the Langtry Manor is perfect, authentic surroundings with good food.

Reading the reviews people either seem to love it or hate it, my view is that it is well above average.

The food is excellent but can be let down by some poor service, when we were last there it seemed they were training some very young east european waitresses, we had a case of one them trying to clear the table while my wife was still eating.

Some warnings first the lodge, we liked it, but it is across the road with no staff in attendance not a problem for us but it does appear to have been a problem for others.

The hotel is gay and dog friendly, so if you are looking for a hotel where you can take your partner, pooch or both then this is perfect.

It is also expensive, £500 plus for two nights bed, breakfast dinner and a lot of good wine but it is worth it and we believe it offers good value for money.

So if you want somewhere just to chill out and let the world go by it is here, whilst being slightly critical of the service this needs to be put in perspective, it is not a bad service just that it is not to the same high standard as the rest of the hotel, if it was this hotel would be excellent.

Somewhat Disappointed!!

by TripAdvisor Member MAGDAVE

We stayed for three nights at "Langtry Manor" after looking it up on the Internet. I telephoned and booked a Suite, the receptionist recommeded the Langtry Suite so we took her word for it. Just after booking the Hotel Inspector Programme was on the television and happened to be reviewing "Langtry Manor" bells went off in my head - the Inspector actually went into the Langtry Suite and gave it the thumbs down - Avocado Jacquzzi in bedroom etc. We thought well they are bound to have improved the room after this programme. Wrong - The Suite (should not be called a suite it was a room) was very tired looking, tatty furniture, handle missing from chest of drawers, bath which virtually took over the whole room, wardrobe which had seen better days and didn't hold many clothes, two armchairs with separate covers on the arms (very dated). Altogether very disappointing. Even though the room was serviced we noticed the carpets had not be vacuumed. The actual bathroom contained a washhand basin and loo, very small, almost like going into a cupboard. The window and bed drapes were also very dated, for the money it cost us I was not a "happy bunny".
The saving grace of this hotel was the Restaurant, the ambience was delightful and the wating staff very attentive and professional.
The owner was in Reception when we left and did not enquire as to whether or not we had enjoyed our stay - in fact didn't speak at all even to simply saying "Good Morning".
We definitely shall not be returning to this hotel as felt thoroughly let down - a beautiful house which was definitely in need of some TLC updating and re-decoration.

Shabby Genteel

by TripAdvisor Member minehostess

We had been staying with friends in Poole but for the final night they were unable to put us up. They mentioned that Langtry Manor was meant to be a good hotel especially with very good food so I booked a room for the night.

First of all the food: we stayed on the Saturday night and attended the banquet. The food was very good. Not the absolute best I've ever had but I've certainly had far worse. The choice was good and was well-cooked.

Less impressive came the next morning - they now charge extra for anything more than cereal, toast and coffee. Hot breakfast, porridge, freshly squeezed orange juice are all charged at either £2 or £4 per item per person. That may not be very much but at the room rate they're charging I don't expect to pay extra for breakfasts. (Oh and before you panic, there is regular orange juice and other fruit juices available for free).

The staff are fine: we arrived early and while our room was being prepared the receptionist promptly invited us into a sitting room and ensured we had tea and coffee. Waiting staff in the dining room are fine - they know what they're doing and are prompt.

The hotel plays A LOT on its Lillie Langtry connection. If you don't like heritage themed hotels or dinners this will be hell for you. All the female staff apart from receptionists are dressed in mock Edwardian/Victorian outfits - long black dresses, white long aprons and mob caps. It's not to my taste. I tend to think that somewhere with so much ostentatious heritage promotion has something to hide and I'm afraid I wasn't wrong.

Despite the prominence of all the girls in traditional costume at all times they must be for show since they are certainly not cleaning the place properly. Outside our window in the lodge was a huge cobweb fluttering in the breeze. Throughout the hotel and lodge there was chipped paint in the common parts, the front door to the lodge was certainly dirty enough to see fingerprints in. The Ladies Toilets were constantly signposted as 'Ladies Powder Room' but certainly the ones that I used were not what I considered a Powder Room.

The room contained simply 2 bog-standard (excuse the pun) toilets with usual flimsy cubicles, then 2 small sinks with 2 half-full bottles of Carex handwash left carelessly around and with a common or garden plastic handtowel holder on the wall. That is not what I consider to be a Powder Room and I felt that the signs were a bit 'Hyacinth Bucket': trying to be a cut above what they actually are.

Somebody had left a make-up stained tissue in one of the basins (as a result the tissue was sodden) and the small pedal bin under the sink was overflowing with tissue paper and rubbish. Okay there had been a wedding there that day (the place is licensed to hold weddings) so there had been many people using the facilities but as I say the hotel made a point of having all female staff other than the receptionists prominent in full Victorian costume - why couldn't they do their job and keep the place clean?

The overwhelming feeling I have about this hotel is that it is shabby genteel: it's trying to be very posh but you don't have to look far beneath the surface to see that the outward appearance is for show and the reality is it's fallen on not so good times.

I have stayed in Bournemouth many many times, usually for political party conferences, so I know what other hotels are like there. This one is about average in terms of quality. The only thing which marks it out apart from others is the Langtry connection. Unless you are completely absorbed in that episode of Royal history you're probably as well off going elsewhere in the town to stay.

lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tooting girl

we were very impressed with this hotel which was charming,the staff were excellent and the food was great.I loved the room which had a jacuzzi and was a lovely way to relax when you got back after a day out.would love to stay there again

A really nice weekend.

by TripAdvisor Member Steve_&_Nikki

We were staying at this hotel for our wedding anniversary. Our room was on the ground floor of the lodge ( just accross the road from the main hotel) and the room was spotlessly clean. very comfortable ( king size bed) with a jacuzzi bath. If you are on the ground floor you do get a bit of creaking floorboards when someone is walking in the room above but not enough to be annoying. The Lodge was generally very quiet. The common areas were very dusty ...didn't look like they had been cleaned for a while...... this was however put right on the saturday ...very odd

The T.v was a 32" Lcd with digital channels. nice touch

We booked the weekend break so the friday night meal and saturday banquet was included in the price. The food on friday was excellent...... the banquet however whilst nice, not quite up to the standard of the friday....... Breakfast on the saturday was excellent...... but on the sunday it was a buffet..... and not quite as good..... no idea why they have to do this.

We spoke to a few of the other guests who were at the banquet and they were all enjoying their stay, as we did....... would definately stay again........ it is just that little bit different from the usual chain hotels.

The Hotel Inspector revisited

by TripAdvisor Member Nucleartraveller

This is the most poorly managed hotel it has ever been my misfortune to come across; extremely expensive, friendly but dysfunctional staff - nobody seems to have a clue about what they are suposed to be doing. See the Channel 5 programme 'The Hotel Inspector' - if anything it has got worse since then. Trust me - don't go there!

Luxury but Cheap Hotel

by boltonian

Anybody know of a nice priced hotel room that has a large bathtub or jacuzzi in the room? Location not that important

RE: Luxury but Cheap Hotel

by Sheila2

Chris what country do you want I know you say location not that important did you mean here in UK? just go on google I think that helps Sheila

RE: RE: Luxury but Cheap Hotel

by boltonian

Sorry yes, UK, Wales, Scotland, doesnt really matter. When I look on Google I get lots of 'luxury rooms' but none seem to say what kind of bath etc

RE: RE: Luxury but Cheap Hotel

by Mariajoy

Langtry Manor in Bournemouth has jacuzzis in some of its rooms:

Comments