Bournemouth Hotels

Our Members Say

• LouiseTopp profile photo LouiseTopp
  • Reviews: 282

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Orchid hotel: Quiet location, outside that is.

Along Gervis Road is the orchid hotel, it has it's own car park space at the front and a much bigger one at the rear. By the front entrance is a little water fountain that makes you want to run off to the toilet! Reception is helpful, there are large TV's in the lounge, and a bar (which I didn't use). Check in time is 2pm, departure is 11 am.

About the rooms itself.

The building can be a bit like a rabbit warren, there is a lift for disabled people. The keys come with rather large keyfobs, it's £60 to replace them if they are lost! All rooms have key locks and not those card one's you find in other hotel's. The room is comfortable but rather basic, it's clean that's all that matters, no strange smells like others have mentioned. There is no bedside lamp, only the main light so I bought a torch. The bathroom comes with a shower, small block of soap and two small bottles of body wash.

Wooden blinds cover the windows, blinds are easier to clean then curtains, there's a clock in the room with red glowing dials and a phone which you can call reception etc. Theres a wardrobe with iron and ironing board inside, and a dressing table with chair. There is a heater but I think its one of them storage heaters, switched it on unless you have to fiddle with the dial it didn't work anyway. The bed was a bit firm but then that could be me as i have a disability and my bed is a bit softer, walls are a bit thin as i could hear someone next door snoring (snorting more like!). Even with my earplugs i could still hear it!

Breakfast is at 7.30-9.30, there is a menu on the table. The dining room is opposite an enclosed garden which has outside seating, when the sun shines through the glass it can be a bit warm. Breakfast consists of orange, apple, cranberry juice, milk. The usual cereals, toast etc. The waitress comes up to you and ask what you want, full English is nice but a little filling. I was completely knackered because the bed was a bit hard, heard birds singing at 3am that morning! They get confused by the streetlights being so bright, they think it's dawn poor things.

Everything tries to have an Oriental feel, placemats are wooden and there's windchimes in the back garden. Orchid hotel isn't bad it's clean that's the main thing even through the walls are a bit thin.

There is a salon there I think.

• Related to: Singles, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written April 27, 2013
Tip Photo

Der bed, I didn't sleep well coz I'm insomniatic.

• ettiewyn profile photo ettiewyn
  • Reviews: 530

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Parkside Guesthose: A great value b&b!

For economic reasons, I usually stayed in hostels during my UK trip. I did not really like it, but I had no choice because otherwise I could not have afforded this trip. When trying to book accommodation for Bournemouth, though, I simply could not find a hostel (crazy, as there are so many young people, but there really only seems to be one which was somehow not available). Fortunately, I found a very affordable b&b!
They had an off-season deal and I paid £25 for a single room, albeit with a shared bathroom (not ensuite). The room was very small, but good enough for me. It had recently been renovated and was very comfortable, with a large cupboard, comfortable bed, satellite TV, a sink and tea making facilities. The bathroom was a little older and indeed very small, but still, it was sufficient for me.
Both my room and the bathroom were cleaned daily.

The breakfast is self-serving in order to enable guests to have breakfast when they would like to. There were two choices of toast, tea, several spreads, several choices of muesli, milk and yoghurt. In the breakfast room there is also a small cupboard where you can swap books.

This b&b is certainly nothing luxurious, but after staying in the cheapest backpacker hostels for five weeks, it felt like heaven to me. I had everything I needed and it was always clean! But what really made my stay were the lovely owners who made me feel so welcome and were just so friendly and really caring for their guests. Because I stayed for nine nights, they gave me one night for free.

Another plus is that the b&b is only a few minutes walk from the bus and train station. The beach and town centre are about a fifteen minutes walk away, but as I took the train so often, I loved the location close to the station.

If you are looking for accommodation in Bournemouth and want good value, I really recommend this b&b to you!

* Very good value
* Wonderful owners
* Close to train and bus station

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2012
Tip Photo

• johngayton profile photo johngayton
  • Reviews: 3175

Britannia Hotel, East Cliff: One For The Mid-market Resortists

This wasn't actually my choice of hotel. I'd booked into the Roundhouse for a long weekend only to find, when I arrived, that the booking system had crashed and that hotel was overbooked. Not a major problem as the sister hotel, simply called The Britannia, was just down the road and they had transferred me to there.

However this hotel is much more geared up for the resort visitors and the stag and hen party people whilst I was there to catch up on some writing and workstuff. Workspace was limited, the party people were loud, both at night and in the morning and the place was generally a bit chaotic - the guys having a bread roll throwing competition in the inner courtyard at breakfast time failed to impress.

Otherwise rooms were fine, adequately furnished, clean and comfortable. Reception was friendly and helpful and despite the hotel being non-smoking the manager allowed me to smoke in my room.

Location is good for the East Cliff and the beaches at that side of town and the centre is only 10 minutes walk.

I think there's a swimming pool and spa facilities but as I never used them I can't comment.

• Related to: Beaches
  • Written June 18, 2010

Hotel Location

• everywherenow profile photo everywherenow
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Charlton Lodge: The worst way to spend your money

This B&B first appealed to me as a last minute change in plans. Through another site, it mentioned reasonable rates, £23.00-25.00 for double with shared bathroom. With this working nicely with my budget, I went ahead to book for the weekend. From what I had been told via phone was that it would be £40.00 per person. I thought was pretty reasonable for a last minute booking and went through with it.
Once I arrived, I realised exactly how inconvenient its location was. Although central to Poole and Bournemouth, a taxi to the B&B would cost an easy £10.00+ on a good day. Good luck with traffic/rush hour. It's even more fun when you want to check out the local sites.
If you're a more voluptuous person, you'll probably want to specify that to the owners, as the stairs leading up to the next floor are a bit tight and cramped.
The rooms are small and quaint and have cosy duvets to keep you warm during cold nights. However, the beds are a bit firm and may not be suitable for those that often prefer a much softer mattress.
The breakfast is great and can be made around the time that works best for you. Vegetarians are also provided for.
If you're under 30, this place probably isn't suitable for you and you're better off booking a proper hotel or even a hostel. Although at first it appears to be family-friendly, there's also that awkwardness that makes it feel like the owners are keeping track of where you go and for what length of time. Bed and breakfasts are usually meant for relaxing, but this place makes it feel like you have to follow a specific schedule in order to enjoy yourself. For instance, I hadn't been told about the cleaning schedule they follow.
Finally, upon checkout I was surprised with a price double to what I was expecting to pay. With their inability to charge credit cards, I was put into a position where I basically ended up paying more than I bargained for.
If you do decide to stay here, hire a car. The only convenience this place has is the petrol station across the street.
For the price you pay to stay here, you're better off getting a place in town.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 15, 2008

• Miau profile photo Miau
  • Reviews: 17

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

cheap accommodation

If you plan to stay a bit longer, then buy a local newspaper Daily Echo-its full of accommodations and job vacancies!
A room in a shared house is about £200-300 per person/per month (bills incl.) +1 month deposit required.
You can meet nice interesting people from all over the world!

• Written October 8, 2005

• chikidee profile photo chikidee
  • Reviews: 95

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Ventura B&B: The best B&B in the world

This is a brilliant B&B in Bournemouth. The rooms are spacious with a big bathroom and a huge bath!!
Breakfast is delicious with self made bred and jam!!
Check out time isn't very strickt!
Absolutely great!!!

flynnnancy@hotmail.com

Breakfast is delicious!!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 10, 2004

• biggeorge profile photo biggeorge
  • Reviews: 392

The Kenilworth Hotel: Fawlty Towers

Really weird B&B , looks like the kind of palce they stick the temporarily homeless , the proprietors also wear a nice line in head scarves just to unsettle you further.
Room itself was in the loft and sitting up in bed caused you to crack your head on the sloping ceiling. However it was extremely cheap for 4 people sharing a room , despite Clarkey moaning about having to have a camp bed.

The Breakfast consisted of beans , scrambled egg , hash browns and one rather long sausage , however some rooms lead directly onto the eating area , so periodically doors would open and you would be treated to people in their pants wandering to the toilet or just waking up to find a resteraunt full of people looking at them.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive