Menzies Carlton Hotel Bournemouth

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Menzies Carlton Hotel Bournemouth

sunny Bournemouth

by TripAdvisor Member gloria123

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay at this hotel.

Good Things - Our room was nice and clean, although a little dated, with a shared terrace with a sea view, tables and sun-loungers provided. Very nice and unusual split-level bathroom. We booked an inclusive deal with dinner and breakfast. Dinner was very good - well worth the money. Fantastic service in the restaurant and a lovely dining room. Nice pools - (outdoor pool very cold even in hot weather - but pleasant surroundings)

Not so good - Delay to check in caused by the people in front of us complaining to the unbelievably rude receptionist. We had specifically requested rooms near our children and were told that we would be in rooms opposite each other - we were in fact some distance apart although on the same floor, which could have been a problem for families with younger children. Breakfast not that great. Cocktail bar waiter had no idea how to serve cocktails. No information available about Bournemouth or local activities. Could have done with less pamphlets about the time-share apartments and more about the hotel itself.

Sometimes Great...Sometimes Not!

by TripAdvisor Member huwball

To start with... great views over the Solent, and HUGE room (we had 217 - 2nd floor). You could almost live in there!

The price tag? very pricey at just a touch shy of £200. So the rooms I meantioned earlier should be great with that price for 1 night eh?.

The indoor pool was ok, bit small, the jacuzzi was good, sauna and "steam box" were a little dated but seemed to do the job. We didn't try the gym, but it looked pretty good. We didn't try the outdoor pool... c'mon it was september ;-)

There semed to be lots of families around, so if you don't like kids - BEWARE!

Proximity to town was very good, with tons of good restaurants in town. The food prices in Fredricks in the hotel seemed a tad on the high side, so we opted for a trip into town.

Breakfast in the morning was superb... as much bacon, sausage eggs, waffles fruit etc etc as anyone could want, so a big plus point.

So now the big downside of the hotel.... those old floorboards - The wife and I turned in at about 10pm, only to be rudely woken by, what seemed like a stampede of elephants upstairs... we thought the ceiling was coming down. Creak, creak it seemed to go on for ages, so I called reception, and to be fair we heard him knock once, but nothing. the noise continued so I went downstairs to ask him to sort it out, which he tried again. Suffice to say the "people" didn't seem particularly sympathetic to anyone gettting sleep, so they only stopped stomping around at about midnight.

They then woke us again at about 6am with another round of creak, creak on the floorboards.

As I said, breakfast was great, but on checking out I mentioned to the girl at the desk about a noise problem... she asked "walking noise?" she said that the hotel is aware of the problem, and are going to try to sort it out.

So my opinion... If you've got £200 to spend for 1 night, make sure you book a room on the 3rd floor so nobody is above you, or wait until you've had confirmation off somebody that the floorboards have been "sorted". The hotel itself is very good, but those floorboards will drive anyone mad!

Huw

Swansea

Think Twice Before Booking

by TripAdvisor Member bgtg2

I WISH I could write all that transpired during my stay at the Carlton but unfortunately there is not enough room.

On my first visit to England on a business trip, I stayed at the Carlton for 4 weeks during Oct/Nov 2005. I expected a 4-star hotel experience but the service and amenities did not live up to 4-star standards.

I arrived exhausted at 12:30pm after approx. 11 hours of travel and was greeted by the front desk staff with the news that my room was not ready and would not be ready until 3:00. Barely able to keep my eyes open, I sat in the lounge for 2 hours, sleeping and undoubtedly snoring on occasion, in full view of the front desk and other guests. I finally went to the desk at 2:30pm and begged to be let into my room. They checked and found that it was ready. Hurrah!

The excitement was short lived when I was unable to find my room. Upon my arrival on the 3rd floor, I walked the halls to no avail. Finally the porter arrived on the floor with my luggage and led me through a door at the end of the hall which led to another very narrow and short hallway. At the end of this were 2 doors on either side. My room, on the left (324?) was small but I was too tired to care. I ordered room service, and slept for the next 12 hours.

In the morning I opened my drapes of my one window to find a lovely view of the rear car park and large trash dumpsters. The next night, my luck changed. My ceiling started leaking. After setting up a catch system with the metal trash bin, I called down to the front desk. They had no rooms available at that time but would try to move me to another room in the morning.

I do have to say that my new room (220, I believe) had a beautiful side view of the sea and the cliffs in the distance. A nice large room with lots of windows and light. That's the end of the good news.

If you have read this far, I admire your preserverence. To keep you from nodding off, I will list the rest of the shortcomings rather than describing each in excrutiating detail:

1) I was asked if I wanted a newspaper but not informed it was for a fee until I asked. I declined.

2) About 1 week into my second room, I pulled the bedspread back just far enough to reveal an approx. 4 inch long smear that looked very much to be a blood stain. Luckily it was on the opposite side from the one in which I had been sleeping and was replaced the next day with an old, mismatched, but clean spread.

3) Breakfast...£13.00 per person? Come on...

4) Tried to eat dinner in the restaurant once around 6pm and was told I could not be seated because I didn't have a reservation. Looking at all the empty tables I decided it was much to stuffy in there anyway. I proceeded to the...

5) ...lounge to eat instead and waited about 15 minutes for a menu while watching all the folks who came in after me getting service. I finally went and fetched one myself. No one came to take a drink or dinner order, so after another 15 minutes I left.

6) Staff knew very little about the town and surrounding area. When asked for a bus schedule, the young lady did not know what I was referring to and I finally found that no, they do not have such a schedule although if I were to pick up a yellow or blue bus I will surely get somewhere.

7) The phone next to the bed did not work butthe one on the desk did.

8) The refrigerator in my second room did not work but someone came up to fix it - it was moderately cool after that.

9) The laundry service lost 2 pair of my underwear and replaced them with 2 that weren't mine...

I could go on but I think you get the idea. If you decide to stay at this hotel, you can't say you weren't properly warned. : )

Good Room, Great Kids Room Service

Woke up on Saturday morning and decided to go away for the night - just needed a hotel in Bournemouth that would fit 2 adults and 2 children (3 & 3mths) into the same room. Ended up at the Carlton in Suite 217 (mentioned in a previous review) - split room (large bed made up of 2 singles in bedroom and then sofa and 4 seat table in other - split by 3/4 wall between. A childs bed and cot were brought in for us which was perfect (and cot was clean which is often not the case!)

Room was brilliant size, but definately can agree with the creak from the floorboards above. Luckily our 'friends' upstairs didnt move about too much and went to bed at a reasonable time.

Didnt have time to try the facilities, but the Childrens room service was superb. 3 courses for £6.50 would have fed a teenager and was restaurant fare rather than being deep fried out of the freezer aisle!

The view from both sides of the room is superb and we thoroughly enjoyed our night.

lovely bedroom but the bathroom was......

by TripAdvisor Member mags35

Have just returned from spending two nights at the Menzies Carlton in Bournemouth.
Stayed in Room 207 which unfortunately didn't have a sea view. The room itself was lovely but the bathroom was needing a good clean. As I lay in the bath I could see the inches of gunge underneath the bath tap and the toilet needed a good squirt of bleach under the rim. The design of the bathroom did not warrant a 4 star rating.
Also we were woken up at 8.30am on the day that we were leaving by a maid wanting to clean the room. Seemed a bit much as check out was not till 11am.
It was very quiet wnen we were there and the bar was closed when we returned after an evening out at 10.45pm.
Pool was small but suited a not very confident swimmer like me.
Showers were not available in either the male or female changing rooms.
Apart from all this the staff seemed pleasant enough and the hotel is in a good location to walk to the centre or along the beach.

Bad staff, service, hotel, etc!

We arrived and found the car park which is situated at the back of the hotel, so the first impression is awful; the hotel looks dreadful from the back which doesn't fill you with confidence. Then we were checked in by, we found out later, the assistant manager; to say he was rude would be putting it mildly. We first heard him from behind the reception area talking to another (we presume) member of staff calling her frosty t*ts - what a lovely welcome! He then loudly sighed when he realised we were waiting at the desk and treated us as if we should appreciate his efforts, and he was doing us a favour.... excuse us if there were no receptionists on duty! He gave us minimal information and we were vaguely directed to our room.
The room would have been great with some re-decoration, it was tired looking and definetly not a four-star standard.
The next day at breakfast was also a let down - the restaurant staff were average; we again saw the friendly assistant manager telling a waitress off for wearing earings, and not only did we hear the whole embarressing conversation (his language was disgraceful) but we realised that the couple on the next table were talking about it too.
We luckily were only staying for the one night, and very grateful to be leaving.
I think the hotel is let down by the staff - particullarly the management, and the decor.
Unless you want to meet a real-life Basil Fawlty- stay away!

Please avoid this hotel!

Staff rude and unhelpful. Struggled to get car park code out of the reception staff.

Good location 4 star hotel. Easy 5-10 minute walk into town. Rooms large with high ceilings. Indoor pool is tiny, impossible to get any exercise.

Only once we got into the room did we learn that the hotel restaurant had a dress code. There was no mention on the website, brochure or when booking and we had not packed anything formal. We were pushed into corner like outcasts. Amazingly, guests were allowed to bring in annoying children and crying babies into the restaurant. The food on the first night was inedible.

Thankfully we only stayed for 2 nights but on our last morning there was a complete power cut in the hotel. Although it wasn’t the hotels fault, the staff made no attempt to inform guests what was happening or when they expected the power to be restored.

Avoid!

Not the best...

Having just spent an amazing 2 days at Chandlers Hotel in Weymouth, my husband and I thought our 3 days at the posh Menzies Carlton would be just as good. It wasn't really.

The staff weren't helpful at all, and looked at us (in our mid-20's) and the older guests with total dislike. We hadn't said anything to the receptionist but having to tear himself away from whatever he was staring at looking bored must've upset him because his greeting wasn't welcoming.

Having said that, when we got to our room (sea-view 2nd floor) we were impressed. We opened the door and immediately the sea filled out view. It was stunning! The room was very big for a hotel room and the bed was massive. The bathroom was in need of an update but it wasn't bad at all.

The housekeeping staff did a superb job though, keeping us topped up with extra milk and coffee and cleaning the room very well.

The facilities aren't the greatest but we wanted a splash about so we took advantage of the indoor pool, spa and sauna. It was definitely the hotel's saving grace having those facilities!!

Checkout wasn't a friendly experience either. The front-of-house staff are in desperate need of customer service training but apart from that, the hotel was fine. Old hotel with some style.

Nice People Great Views

by TripAdvisor Member nickcox

I have just stayed at the Carlton with my wife and we both had a lovely time. The decor of the room in which we stayed wasn't perfect but as it had an excellent view of the sea we didn't really mind. The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool (both heated) as well as a Jacuzzi and sauna. The staff was friendly and the chef accommodated my wife’s dietary needs (she has several food allergies).

The hotel itself is situated on the East Cliff directly opposite the path down to the beach. The path is quite steep but there is a lift down to the beach as well and there is also an easy route.

Never having been to the hotel before, I found it very easy to find by just following the signs for the East Cliff.

Bournemouth itself has lovely beaches that were clean and the water was really clean.

One of the best places to visit we found was the Museum and Art Gallery on the way down from the Carlton to the pier. The interior of the place was very interesting as, where possible, it has been kept in its original splendour. The art collection is, in addition, surprisingly good for a fairly small museum and includes paintings by Callow and Wylie (perhaps more famous for his etchings) as well as more unusual items such as a spittoon designed by Peter the Great.

carlton hotel,

by TripAdvisor Member gow1

I booked to stay at the Carlton on the East Cliff for a weekend treat for my husband and daughter. When we arrived it was very hot and I looked forward to cooling off by the pool with a drink and a lunchtime snack. The hotel didnt seem to have any air conditioning or if they did it was totally inadequate. The pool area was nice, but the pool furniture, although functional, looked cheap and dated. The sign posting throughout the hotel was very confusing, but our rooms, when we finally found them were so large, they could easily have fitted a second double bed in, as they do in America, and what we would have prefered. These were all minor points. What really annoyed my husband and myself was the customer service which was almost non existant. We were served at lunchtime in the bar, only once my husband had gone and broken up a nice little chat going on among the waiting staff. Breakfast was just as bad, and everything that we asked for was met with a blank face and unhelpful reply.
I was really disapointed with this hotel as I'd always thought it was one of the best. Next time I think we will stay at Knoll House in Swanage. At least then we can take the dogs with us

Comments