Menzies East Cliff Court

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Rated 14% higher but also costs 37% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Menzies East Cliff Court

Rudest most unhelpful staff Ever

Booked the room thru Laterooms- seaview was the one I booked. Upon arrival the room wasnt ready (12pm) no real drama there - we will have a drink at the bar. So 3 pm arrives and i get the keys to my room. Once in there i have a nice view of the car park but no SEA. I tried to ring reception form the room but the phones arent working. So down to front desk - unless i have typed confirmation they wont do anything and basically in front of other guests they call me a liar. At this point im sure i dont have confirmation (and oh they suggest i go into bournenouth to an internet cafe to use a PC to retrieve the confo - this 4 Star hotel having such advanced internet / business facities - ie NONE).

Anyway i find the confo and it says Sea view - do i get an apology ? a small sorry ? NOPE.
They blame someone else but havent the decency to apoliogise - at which point needless to say im fuming. In fairmess they then upgrade me to a suite (im sure as punishment they give me the hottest room in the hotel) - but by this point im past caring and quite honestly if there had been an alternative hotel id be driving across to it (there isnt btw).

Im still waiting for the drinks to arrive i ordered sat lunch and the sunday papers (they rmbrd to charge me tho).

In closing if this is the last hotel availible for your stay in Bournenmouth - id suggest you stay at home .

WHAT A GEM OF A PLACE TO STAY

by TripAdvisor Member trannie

I would just like to let people know what a hidden treasure this hotel is. I come to Bournemouth every summer and this year was my best ever thanks to the East Cliff Court. I stayed in a seaview suite which was modern very smart and very well presented. The views from this hotel are the best in Bourenmouth by far. During my stay we had the delights of enjoying a top class BBQ on the sunterrace the food, service and again veiws were bliss. Thank you East cliff for our stay CONTEMPARY HOTEL WITH TOUCHES OF CLASS

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Katecarl

When we arrived at the hotel, we were very impressed. You could tell alot of money had been spent on improving the hotel. When booking I forgot to request a cot for our baby, so I requested it on arrival. This was done straight away and the cot was in our room within about two minutes.

We had a triple room, which was very spacious. It had a double bed and a proper single bed (I expected a foldaway bed like you usually get in other hotels). The beds were very comfortable. My only complaint about the room was that it was extremely warm and we found it very hard to sleep. I dread to think what it would be like in the middle of summer.

The bathroom was a good size too, with a full size bath and a powerfull shower.

There was a lovely bar area, which we found very relaxing. You could also have light snacks, which looked very nice.

We didn't have evening meals in the restaurant as it was £35 per person for a four course meal, which we didn't want.

The breakfasts were lovely. There was plenty to choose from and the cooked food was not covered in grease.

The Hotel next door (Carlton) has got an indoor swimming pool etc, which you can use. My Husband and daughter used the pool but it was on the small side.

We didn't come across one English member of staff but we found them all to be very friendly and helpful.

My only other complaint was that there are steps everywhere so it was difficult getting to our room with the pushchair. If you have a pushchair, I would advise you request a room which you can access by the lift as we couldn't with our room. I'm not sure how wheelchair users would cope either as there are steps to enter the hotel and I didn't see any ramps.

great stay

by TripAdvisor Member wandifa

We stayed at the hotel over the New Year and had a great time. very friendly staff and great food. We have been here often and this was the best year so far. They really pulled out all the stops. It was very useful having the Carlton Hotel next door which is their sister hotel as it has a pool and beauty salon. My wife had a massage and hair done which she enjoyed enormously.

The position is great as it is close enough to walk to the town down the zigzag to the beach.
So dont go otherwise there will be no room for us next year!!!

Modernised hotel, let down by inexperienced staff

by TripAdvisor Member Gemakan

Almost stayed for two nights but checked out into it's partner hotel (Carlton, next door) one hour after checking in. Had booked on a corporate rate, after usually staying at the Marriott, Royal Bath or Chine in Bournemouth. Read that the East Cliff Court had spent a lot on refurbishments so thought I would try it out. Drove down from Heathrow after a 13 hour flight, checked in around 9pm and the first thing I wanted was a shower and to freshen up. Having checked in and unpacked, I turn on the shower and find the water is completely cold. Call Reception and am told that the boiler broke down (three days previously) and the back-up boiler cannot cope with demand. "Didn't you see the letter in your room about this?" the receptionist asked. I hadn't but then went to the desk and in the pile of other in-house advertising and leaflets there was indeed a letter. But what use is it alerting the newly-arrived guest to this AFTER they have checked in and got to their room? How difficult would it have been for a big notice to have been stuck on the reception desk announcing something like "BEFORE you check in, can we be honest and up-front enough to let you know that there is unlikely to be any hot water when you need it, despite us supposely being a 4-star hotel and charging £100-odd a night". The duty manager actually did a good job to resolve the situation by arranging for a good-sized room to be made available for me, quickly, at a senisble rate, at the next-door Carlton - that said, I was alarmed to see that the hotel seemed to have been left in the hands of a very young guy on a busy Saturday night (there was a party of some sort going on). Overall conclusion: on the surface this looks like a surprisingly modern, even stylish, hotel by Bournemouth / British standards. The room I was given was tiny in the extreme (could barely push the desk chair back because it was so close to the end of the bed) but at least everything was new. But management/staff incompetence - being unable to think ahead to a guest's requirements and expectations for hot water, or to alert them IN ADVANCE if none was available - was enough, by itself, that I would never risk trying to stay there again.

We won't be rushing back!!

FOOD
There was plenty of choice at breakfast, however, there is a saying that ‘quality, not quantity’ should be the paramount concern….which the hotel have obviously over-looked

SERVICE/STAFF
I don’t think we’ve ever experienced such miserable, impolite and unhelpful staff ever. Menzies as a chain must be really awful to work for as every single member of staff had an attitude problem (apart from the maid who bought round to our room the top up of tea/coffee). Breakfast was really understaffed, reception and check-in staff needed help with understanding what ‘customer service’ meant, and for the bar staff it seemed too much effort to pour drinks (if you could manage to find them as they were often missing in action!)

BEDROOMS
Be VERY careful which room you get allocated. The room we had was TINY and overlooked the car park. As soon as you put your luggage down on the floor, the place seemed crowded and untidy as it was so small. The shower leaked. But most of all, the bed we had had NO springs on one side of it – literally all of the springs were broken, so we were sleeping on different levels to each other. When I mentioned this to the hotel staff, there was nothing done to rectify the situation.

We walked past some of the other rooms at the front of the hotel and saw in (whilst the maid was cleaning) and they looked very nice, but our experience was terrible. The rate we paid for 2 nights was £270, which as you can appreciate is a lot of money for somewhere that didn’t even provide the basic facility of a comfortable unbroken bed.

LOCATION
Lovely location over-looking the sea, 5 minutes walk downhill to the touristy areas of Bournemouth and a short walk down to the beach (or you can get the funicular).

COMMUNAL AREAS
It’s all been refurbished and it’s done very nicely, but why on earth would you spend so much money on a place and only do a bit of it, rather than making sure ALL of the bedrooms were done…??!!!?

OUTDOOR POOL
Not heated (April)

SPA
If you think that a small cold indoor swimming pool, a luke warm Jacuzzi and about 6 kids running around screaming constitutes using the word ‘spa’, then you’ll love it here. I think it should be re-named to something like ‘kids splash area’. It’s definitely not a spa!

OVER-ALL
This is not a 4 star hotel. It is more 3 star because it’s service and it’s bedrooms (or some of them) let it down. It’s a shame because it does have potential to be a nice place to stay – it’s just let down by the staff and the bedrooms (oh, and the ‘spa’).

Faulty experience

by TripAdvisor Member joe_green

The booking via the internet facility was not working properly. Is it or isn’t booked, no one knew at the booking centre On arrival we were not really welcome, initially the receptionist was over zealous and said that we were not registered and goodbye. However after a protest and a further checks, the details were found, most people would have walked away by the abrupt manor. The toilet in the room did not work i.e. it did not flush properly. This was terribly inconvenient for the staff. The cooked breakfast was individually prepared, the beans and tomatoes were congealed and the sausages hard. In fact it was the most horrid breakfast imaginable, we did not eat it. Despite complaining to the manager, he was largely unsympathetic and uninterested. In conclusion my wife and I had the most awful experience in any hotel that we ever stayed at. For the record this was also the first Menzies hotel we stayed at.

very pleasant weekend

by TripAdvisor Member jennylouis

Great hotel. warm welcome on arrival, amazing room with amazing views of the sea and surrounding areas. Food outstanding and service second to none. They looked after us well we will be back!!!!

Had a lovely time

by TripAdvisor Member MissySweetie

Stayed at this hotel over the bank holiday weekend and had a really nice time. The staff were ok but they need to improve on thier customer service. I will definately return to this hotel again, plus the views are amazing and the food is great.

Map of BournemouthMap of Bournemouth