The Hermitage Hotel

Rated 13% higher but also costs 95% more than other 3 star hotels

More about The Hermitage Hotel

Excellent weekend

by TripAdvisor Member broderick_family

Have just returned from a weekend stay for our daughters graduation. This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, both times the staff have been extremely friendly and helpful. The food was of a high standard and the service top rate. Our rooms were very clean and spacious with sea views.
The only negative point was the very busy car park which was due to the functions that were being held there over the weekend. We will certainly hope to stay there again.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member fancyabang

You must stay here!
Great location, try and have a sea view.
Car parking easy and close and free!
Stones throw from a great beach and the pier.
Staff very friendly, professional and smart.
Try the smoked haddock with poached eggs for breakfast.

Fantastic Hotel

This hotel is in a fantastic location and the staff are polite, helpful and courteous.
Myself and my family stayed here for 2 nights and it was great value for money.
Although we didnt eat in the hotel the dining area was extremely well presented.

The room we had was of above average size and the bathroom was impressive.

We would definately stay here again and we recommend it to all.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dee-d2

Great hotel, friendly and helpful staff who tried very hard to make our holiday relaxing. Stayed with my husband and his parents for 5 nights b&b em. food very good with choices even for picky people like me. Had family arrive for dinner and the restaurant manager went out of his way to make sure our 6 year old grandson had the meal he wanted even though it wasn't on the dinner menu, thank-you Charles. Have stayed in other 4* hotels in Bournemouth and will definately be returning to the Hermitage hotel. Our room had a brilliant view of the sea and the pier. Willis family

Fabulously helpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member flyingirl80

Had a wonderful stay in the hotel. The room was rather small and I was not sure if the "sea-view" was worth the extra £6 per person per night.

But it was clean and confortable as you would expect of a 3* hotel. The staff were wonderful - despite not being able to help us connect to the free wi-fi network - they proved very helpful and pleasant. I left my phone in the hotel room and Becky on the front desk was most obliging in helping me sort out the package for the courier to pick up. Praise must also go to Charles - the restaurant manager/ maitre-D - who was most professional and his wonderful staff.

Prices of food and drink in the hotel lounge were so reasonable. Service was always with a smile... even from the night duty person who had to run both the front desk and 24-hour lounge food/ drink service. This place comes highly recommended.

Not bad, but not good value

by TripAdvisor Member StuMoz

I booked this hotel as part of a birthday weekend for my wife. I liked the look of it on the website and the location was great.

I paid £132 for a single night B&B (sea view room) which is well above what I would expect for a 3* in Bournemouth, but hoped that the hotel would live up to the price.

Checking in was easy and efficient. The lady on the desk was friendly enough. We were given a piece of paper to place on the car dashboard to show we were guests - the car park has plenty of room.

The decor of the hotel is nice and does have a luxury feel to it. We got to the room and found it to be clean and tidy, if a touch dated. The fixtures and fittings were adequate. No mini-bar or fridge and the TV is small, but fine - 5 terrestial channels plus Sky News.

The room was small and hot - no air conditioning here. The view was great though, overlooking the pier, and the window opened wide.

Overnight the area is VERY noisy. There was a group of young children running about the corridor outside our room screaming until past midnight - not the hotels fault, but surprising that such a pricey hotel has such clientele. The real problem was loud thumping music that went on outside somewhere until 2am. This was made worse by having to have the window open wide due to the heat. So, not a lot of sleep to be had.

The bed was comfortable enough. At 8:45am, a maid started to enter the room - I was in bed and my wife in a state of partial undress having just come out of the shower. A panicked shout later the maid scuttled off.

We had breakfast (served 8-10am) and it was good... nice full English, good service - very bad fruit salad!

We returned to the room to get bags, use toilet etc to find the maid in there again!

When I checked out and the receptionist asked if we enjoyed the stay, I mentioned the maid coming in in the morning... I was then lectured in a patronising way about how I should have put the Do Not Disturb sign on if I didn't want the maid to come in and how this was standard practice throughout the hotel world. I don't believe that to be true, but in any case, her manner was all wrong - at the end of the day, the customer is always right and a simple apology was all that was required.

In summary, a well located hotel, spoiled slightly by a patronising receptionist, a lack of aircon or fan in the rooms and the proximity to loud music playing establishments. £132 a night is big money though for what is essentially only a slightly tired 3 star hotel.

Nice (but pricey)

by TripAdvisor Member paulh_reading

Stayed at this hotel with my other half Sunday 23rd and Monday 24th July.

Excellent location right on the sea front, the hotel is a very smart, clean with polite staff.

The room (a superior double) was spacious, clean with a sea view. But needs Air Conditioning without doubt

Breakfast was good, as was the at table service in the air-conditioned (much needed) bar area.

However at £288 for 2 nights, like a previous correspondent I couldn't help but feel that we didn't really get value for money.

Excellent hotel but noisy location

by TripAdvisor Member Lewes

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and we were most impressed with the service and facilities offered. Breakfast and dinner were very good and the service given by Charles and his team is superb. Our double bedroom with sea view was very comfortable, appeared newly decorated and was spotlessly clean. However, because of its location, being right on the sea front and adjacent to the park/gardens, the noise during the night allowed us little sleep. Both nights we were awoken at 2.30am by loud music from a nearby club, followed by drunken seranading, sreaming and shouting for most of the night. Sleep came again briefly but we were then woken by the noise of the beach cleaners at 5.45am. None of this is, of course, the fault of the hotel, but I'm afraid it comes with having a nice sea view at the front, maybe a room at the back of the hotel might be quieter. Air conditioning in the rooms would help as at least the windows could be kept shut and would therefore minimise noise. Unfortunately it was far too hot for us to do that.

What hotel's should be like!

by TripAdvisor Member carben123

I was most impressed by the Hermitage hotel. I have spent a lot of time in UK hotels and this was one of the best. Spotlessly clean, staff who went out of their way to help, fantastic food, and in a great position. We had to take a wheelchair for mother which we were allowed to keep near reception, there were people staying who had motorised (small) scooters that they took, in the lift, to their rooms.
Charles ran the resturant perfectly, sometimes service was a little slow but the meals were well worth the wait. Top marks to the chef.
We had a front, twin seaview room, brilliant to see the fireworks over the pier on a Friday night. It was very noisy and we did have disturbed sleep but that wasn't the fault of the hotel.
Rooms and corridors were hot, a fan was provided in the bedrooms, but the temperature outside was unusually high.
I will stay there again, quite expensive but well worth the money.

The Hermitage do well 2 years on the trot!

by TripAdvisor Member Herb4

Having just returned home from a 4 night stay at the Hermitage, I would like to say what a lovely time we had this year. Returning home pounds heavier than I was a week ago!! The food was again up to it's usual excellent standard. Our Brazilian waiter was superb, Charles was his usual jovial self, and the rest of the staff were so friendly and kind. After a few days at the Hermitage you feel totally spoilt. However, we did suffer with lack of sleep thanks to noisy youngsters outside the hotel in the early hours, and the man cleaning the pavements around the pier early in the mornings. Perhaps air-conditioning in the rooms may be the next consideration once the new project is up and running!

Comments