Urban Beach Hotel

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Urban Beach Hotel

A real find!

by TripAdvisor Member jurypro

After reading the reviews on trip advisor we booked 3 night here and were very happy we did. The room was lovely and the owners delightful. I would warn other travelers that it's actually in Boscombe (which I think is much nicer than Bournemouth). We had a little trouble finding it, thinking it was in Bournemouth. As it was amazingly hot, we spent two days lying on the beach and it made a wonderful break from London. It is very relaxing, like staying with friends - friends who make your bed and cook you lovely breakfast! The little town was fun to walk through and there are a few second hand shops that are interesting to browe in (and a good source of second hand paperback books). We ate at the PierPoint at Mark's suggestion and it was excellent. The hotel has a barbeque on Fridays over the summer - with a band -which was fun.

superb, small contemporary hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pinfold

We have just had a fabulous weekend staying at the Urban Beach Hotel. The rooms are being updated with all mod cons including leather kingsize beds, leather furniture and flatscreen tv with dvd. There is also free internet access. Excellent hosts, very obliging and friendly. The bar is also contemporay with huge leather sofas and plasma screen. The friday night barbecue with live music provided a super lively whilst laid back and cool dude party atmosphere, which did not last past closing time out of consideration for local residents and other hotel guests. Breakfast was excellent ! We shall definitely return should the opportunity arise. It's not like a hotel, or guest house, it's like visiting friends.

A very warm welcome

by TripAdvisor Member lambert141

I stayed at the Urban Beach Hotel while on business in Bournemouth, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a chilled out relaxed place to stay. The staff were all extremely friendly, knew all the cool places to eat, and generally made the whole stay a pleasure.

Great, friendly and stylish

by TripAdvisor Member Backwell511

We very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel which was very friendly and my wife said that the breakfast was the best she had ever had. Only 2 small niggles - why no highchair? Also the en suite to our room (Room 11) had not been refurbished to the standard of the room although this was not the impression given by the website.

Overall, however, a great place and very good value.

Great Hotel in the making

by TripAdvisor Member Karen67

We stayed at the Urban Beach Hotel in July for 5 nights, Sunday-Friday and had a thoroughly good time. The hotel is in process of being updated to a Boutique-Hotel, the public spaces like breakfast room, bar and lounge have already been done and look great. Both management and staff are very welcoming and friendly, the whole place has a laid back and relaxed atmosphere.

The room we stayed in was partly re-decorated (i.e. bathroom & carpet not done yet but this is duly reflected in the room rate) and very comfortable. There was one small issue which after being addressed to the management was taken care of within 5 minutes.

If you like to sleep with the window open you might want to ask for a room at the back as the hotel is located close to the beach and with Bournemouth being a student town it can get a bit lively every now and then.

The breakfast menu containes a good selection from croissants to fruit salad to full english. And you get nice coffee!

There is also a number of snacks available throughout the day and they are very tasty indeed, only fresh ingredients are used.

We will chose this hotel again for our next stay in Bournemouth and are looking forward to all the improvements in store to make it even nicer.

Are you Kidding me?

by TripAdvisor Member supercoops

I booked this Hotel for a 2 night romantic weekend away with my girlfriend, based on the reviews on this site. I can not believe some of the comments I've read on this site with regards to this hotel, are you sure you stayed at the same place? Number 1..... the breakfast was appalling. The sausages were the worst I have ever tasted! I have stayed in a lot of hotels, but never have I had breakfast this bad before. Number 2....... the tables for breakfast were not clean, the crockery was sticking to the tables. Number 3..... The decor was awful. Yes I know they are in the middle of refurbishing it, but where they had painted walls, paint had splashed onto other surfaces etc, etc. Carpets were of poor quality, the furniture was tatty. Number 4..... the bathroom was a disgarce, I'm not sure it was even 1980's. Having said that, the staff were friendly, and the downstairs bar area was nice, but sadly when I go away for a weekend I tend not to sit in the Hotel bar! I shall not be going back here, and wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to either.

Chilled Out Stay at Urban Beach

by TripAdvisor Member dekkerb

I think the latest reviewer (fellow Wulfrinian)was rather harsh. I personally enjoyed the breakfast, especially the fresh fruit salad & the warmed fresh pain au chocolat. Like Mark said I'm sure they would have given you something else if you didn't care for the sausage.

The rooms are works in progress. Our Room 7 needs updating and Mark is keenly aware of this. However, all the bed linen and towels were new & nice,. The room had been painted in a contemporary colour scheme & was of a good size for my my wife, 5 year old & baby. The bathroom was dated but clean.

The best bit of the stay was Mark & Fiona's genuine belief that they wanted the stay to be as pleasurable as possible for every guest. They helped out with not only restaurant recommendations but maps/directions. We watched a film from their DVD library when the kids were asleep which was a nice touch. The LCD TVs are great & the fact we could get cbeebies was a boon for enteratining our 5 year old when we had to sort the baby out. The giant & indoor connect 4 were also a big hit.

The location is a 5 min walk to a lovely beach -less crowded than Bournemouth.

The bar was cosy and a pleasant place to chat with Mark about his plans.

We will definitely be back!

Looking forward to returning!

by TripAdvisor Member leopardchiknik

The website gives a very realistic overview of the hotel and our long week-end certainly lived up to expectations.

The garden, bar and restaurant area are wonderful... they have a lovely ambience and you could happily wile away a few hours sipping on a glass of wine (from their interesting and varied wine list) in these pleasant surroundings.

The rooms still need a fair amount of work, but the owners are very up-front about that. Also, on a positive note, the bed was really comfortable, with beautiful linen and the room was spotless.

The owners and staff were all very welcoming and helpful. Thanks to their recommendations, we had two lovely meals in nearby restaurants.

We came away feeling very inspired by their enthusiasm and vision and will definitely return... we can't wait to see the place once it's finished!!!

Everything I expected and more!

by TripAdvisor Member Squares48

Myself and two friends spent my birthday weekend here.
Communal areas are great and the refurbishment has been done tastefully with a modern but relaxed twist. Outdoor seating was ideal over the hot weekrend, specially with the added luxury of the outdoor BBQ and singer on the Friday evening. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all very friendly and seemed to really enjoy being part of the team.
Rooms are clean and presentable though a little dated but that is being worked on. To contradict a previous critic, the rooms didn't bother me as I DID spend most of the time in the bar or outside! Looking forward to seeing the finished product at Christmas. If Mark's proposals are anything to go by, the rooms will be equally outstanding!

Loved the Urban Beach!!

by TripAdvisor Member spacehop

Just got back from a really nice break at the urban beach, I can understand SOME of the comments in the last review but to be honest they made no differance whatsoever to our stay. Our room, No.2 was above the bar which when we got there I thought was going to be a big noisy problem, however it turned out to be a real treat, especially on our last night when they had live music (great accoustic guitarist whose name has completley escaped me) which I enjoyed with a glass of wine from the comfort of my bed! The bar closed at 10.30 and by 10.35 all was quiet and it stayed that way till breakfast. The room itself was really clean and tidy, the green carpet was a bit worn in places and the bathroom is in need of a bit of an update but so what! The bed was really comfy and it was great to have a flash TV to watch some dvds on. Breakfast was really nice, we are vegetarians and thought this might be a problem but we just said want we wanted and they cooked it for us, besides if you dont want a cooked breakfast there is loads of other things to choose from, muesli, cornflakes, yogurts, fruit and croissants which by the way were the best I have ever tasted!! The bar area is really welcoming, like the last reviewer I dont spend time in hotel bars but Its good to know theres somewhere relaxing to sit and have a pint or a coffee if you so desire. The staff are friendly, helpfull and easy to talk to and brenda and knuckles (theyre rabbits not gangsters) and colin the cat were very entertaining. Mark and co are doing a cracking job of updating this lovely hotel and I look forward to comming back in a few years to see how its changed. Great place guys keep up the good work!!

Comments