Avonmouth Hotel & Restaurant

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Avonmouth Hotel & Restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member richdee

My wife and I stayed at the The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa for a nice weekend away and can highly recommend this hotel. It's set near Mudeford Quay which is of outstanding natural beauty. The hotel staff, accomadation and food are top notch and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting the Bournemouth area. Why stay in Bournemouth when you can stay a couple of miles outside in such a nice place.

We are very much looking forward to returning.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member JimmycLondon

Approaching hotel from the West is not recommended as you travel through 20 miles of suburbia before getting there. Building works next to hotel start early. Staff not particularly interested in helping out and not responsive to what we said (e.g. breakfast trays left outside lift all day). Dinner is overpriced. Breakfast looks nicer than it tastes.
Rooms recently refurbished and feels comfortable but very stuffy and lacks ventilation. Chimney obscured our view but as the view was a building site then I suppose that wasn't a bad thing. Swimming pool was a treat but would have preferred it to be above ground.

Faulty Towers

by TripAdvisor Member fairreviews

We stayed 2 nights on the 24th/25th April. Whilst a great location overlooking the bay, the staff seroiusly let this place down. We had prebooked in to the Gary Rhodes restaurant for dinner on our second night, only to be told prior to arrival at the hotel that they couldn't find our booking. Their electronic system had not worked, which we suspected, which is why we phoned ahead to check the reservation. They did however apologise and reserve a table for 2 ( we booked for 4 people) at Kings Rhodes in Christchurch, which is really very good and i would recommend.

The room we had was a "silver sea facing", very small, which in fairness they say on their website. The lighting system in the room really is very strange and some of our lights did not work. This was reported to reception, but not fixed. The wireless internet worked when we arrived but went down that first evening. this was reported but not fixed.

There are heavy building works on the adjacent site which start at 8.00 am, so be prepared to be woken up by piling/drilling and deliveries.

When we checked out 2 other guests were complaining about the staff, room size and service. It's a real pity as this could be a great south coast hotel.

The manager did accept our complaint and rang us after we left to apologise and charged us for only one night. the builders were coming through the main entrance of the hotel with boards and goods, which was a real surprise!

Seriously, unless they improve the service and quality of staff,

take more care of their guests, I would be concerned how long this hotel will stay open

Excellent revival for a christchurch hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member AlandNik

We have seen this once shabby hotel rise from the dust into glory. Its such a perfect location and now a perfect hotel for all to enjoy. We had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed spending time in the hotel, I love that we can sit and enjoy the hotel spaces Inside and out and its perfectly relaxing.

The Spa and pool facilities are great and the decor has been done to a superb standard. But most of all the staff took our large family gathering in their stride and did eveything they could to make us feel at home.

Food excellent, sevrcice fantasctic, sceanary stunning. Cant wait to go back !!

Lovely hotel - great staff

by TripAdvisor Member TriciaBBedford

I have just spent a 'Lazy Sunday' at the hotel with members of my family celebrating a family birthday. The hotel is lovely and although busy because of a wedding party managed to offer great service. I had asked for a birthday cake to be prepared which was ready and waiting for us and the staff couldn't have been more helpful - both on booking and when we arrived. The food in the restaurant was very good and booking the Lazy Sunday package offered amazing value for money. The rooms were good - the gold twin being much better than the bronze double but I was made aware that these were the only rooms available when I booked. I would definitely return to this hotel - probably for a longer stay!

What a shame....

We stayed two nights in a Silver category with a harbour view. One thing you can't accuse the hotel of is exagerating on their room descriptions when they say the rooms are small..... Our room was on the top floor and not only was it tiny but so badly laid out that you couldn't open the wardrobe door and the bathroom door at the same time. Two people can't be in the bathroom at the same time, nor was there any room to walk around the bed without the other person getting out of the way first!

The lighting in the room was very dark, the bulbs weren't working inside the wardrobe or the ceiling just outside it consequently we couldn't see a thing. We told reception when we arrived, but when we checked out two days later the bulbs still hadn't been changed. On the subject of lighting, it is absolutely dire in the bathroom, so badly lit and gloomy you couldn't use the mirror for applying make up. There's no room by the sink to put toiletries, just a shelf at the end of the bath, of course when you switch the shower on everything gets soaked..... The extractor fan didn't work (we also reported that), it was like a sauna in the bathroom. We had friends in another Silver room and their extractor didn't work either. There is no AC in the rooms and we were boiling, like a reviewer below we also had a ledge outside so couldn't sleep with the window open.

The Internet went down on Thursday afternoon and never came back on for the duration of our two night stay.

How this hotel has managed to be completely refurbished and modernised with no thought to the practicalities of someone actually staying in the rooms, I just don't understand, but it is a missed opportunity. The building is lovely, the view beautiful, the setting perfect, the terrace fantastic to sit and have a drink on, but it just completely misses the mark.

Twice when we were waiting in reception there were guests complaining, and the staff, although as willing as they could possbly be, seemed completely out of their depth dealing with them. On one occasion when we were waiting for a taxi we watched workmen traipse through the front entance across the reception with wooden boards and other equipment the carpet wasn't even covered over - and it's brand new! All this was in full view of the reception staff, if they can't see that is not right then how will they ever be able to deal with minor problems?

I think this hotel needs a great manager with fully trained and competent staff who can sort out problems, deal with guests and get the hotel in some sort of efficient shape, before it is completely ruined.

All I can say is if you are intending to stay then be very careful with the room category you choose.

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our 12th wedding anniversary and really enjoyed our stay.

by TripAdvisor Member pinksmum

The hotel is situated in a lovely position and the views from the resturant were lovely. The room we stayed in (Bronze) although very small, was adequate for our needs and tastfully decorated. The pillows were big and fluffy and the bed really comfortable. The spa treatments were amazing (facial and pedicure for me and neck, shoulder and head massage for my husband). They were so relaxing and the staff in the spa really are a credit to the hotel. The reception staff were really helpful and the flowers my husband ordered for me as a surprised were gorgeous and delivered within 1 hour of them being ordered - very efficient service.

Now the negatives. The lighting really needs to be sorted out in the bathrooms, I understand that the hotel was probably going for mood lighting, but there should also be the option of brighter lighting for shaving and applying make-up. We had lunch in the resturant and although the food itself was lovely, the resturant manager was really awful to his staff - he spoke to them in an aggressive manner and talked to them like they were something he'd wiped off his shoe - in front of all the customers, I thought that this was not only unprofessional but clearly no way to gain respect from your fellow staff members. We also had high tea and although the menu stated that the cakes were 'homemade' which I consider to be made in the kitchen, they were very obviously either frozen (like the eclairs) or bought in. I didn;t feel it was great vaue for money at all. We also ordered breakfast to be bought to our rooms and found we had to share a crossaint and pain chcolat as only one of each were provided, I ordered mushrooms and was provided with half a mushroom(I kid you not!). This obviously needs to be addressed!!!

That said I would definately recommend the hotel, but would warn against using the resturant.

Fabulous break in an excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DWTreading

We booked a three night break for myself, my wife, our 12 year old daughter and her friend. We booked two separate rooms for ourselves and the girls. They had to share a double bed because there were no twins left, but they loved it. It was fun to watch them scoffing the excellent room service breakfast on the last morning.

The rooms were in the newly refurbished part of the hotel and were very nicely done. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were great. The whole hotel had a very elegant feel to it and the service was great. The girls loved the Nintendo room which is a great idea.

We like the location overlooking over the harbour. It is convenient for the New Forest and a short walk to Mudeford Quay. We also like the pool and spa. The girls thought it a bit unfair that there was a restriction on the times children could use the pool, but we could understand why.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night and we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The service was good, but the young staff got the orders a bit mixed up. My daughter's friend loved what was delivered to her until she discovered that it was actually my meal and not the selection from the childrens menu. She would have eaten the lot if she had not found out. It was sorted out very quickly an we were too chilled to worry about it.

We managed to book into the Rhodes restaurant on the last night and had a great evening. Excellent food and service in a wonderful setting. I note some comments that the restaurant has spoiled the view which is a bit of a shame, but it is a great place.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and cannot wait to return.

Excellent facilities and well worth the expense

by TripAdvisor Member JJPWindsor

We have just returned from a short mid week break at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay there. We stayed in a bronze inland view room in the new wing and the decor was a neutral colour with mood lighting in the bathroom.Furniture was comforable and plenty of clothes space in the wardrobes. Bedding crisp, fresh and very clean and the room checked and tidied daily.We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The leisure facilities were excellent although when you first entered the pool room it took a while to get used to the dark mood lighting!We ate dinner there the first evening and the only disappointment was the fish pie which was practically soup and had to be eaten with a spoon! Breakfast was very good with a wide choice although we felt the presentation and quality dipped slightly on our last day. We ate at an excellent pub just down the road called the Nelson's Tavern with Thai and English menu. Could not get in the Gary Rhodes South restaurant next to the hotel but judging from the noise it is extremely popular. The terrace also provides a beautiful view across the harbour and is a very relaxing atmosphere.

great stay

by TripAdvisor Member JPDLEIGH

just returned from fab 3 night break here. could'nt fault it, perfect location. rooms comfortable with lovely bathroom. had to move after first night due to construction in next door building but staff were very accommodating & everything was done for us. Meal in the hotel on the first night was adequate & breakfast great. the restaurant had a wondeful view overlooking the harbour. the staff were extremely helpful & attentive. We did the same as previous reviewer & ate in the nelson pub, a few hundred yards down the road, which was lovely & very reasonable. the leisure facitlities were great for a very relaxing time, we used it every day to wind down.
would definitly return here as there is so much to do in the vicinity & loved the hotel so much. a very welcome comfortable break.

Comments