Valley Road, Harmans Cross, Corfe Castle, BH20 5HU, United Kingdom

Durdle DoorDurdle Door

Travel Tips for Corfe Castle

The area around Corfe

by Jenniflower

The village is the capital of the 'Isle of Purbeck', in Dorset.

It is a typical English town, with the character-filled stone cottages and thatch roofs, with the most intricate of thatch designs.

No matter what the weather, or time of year you venture here, the castle will deliver. Its vantage point lends much in the way of imagination and mystery. It must have once been quite formidable!

When we came here, I hadnt done any research about it, we just happened to drive through here.

I immediately wanted to know more! Now when we return I will go well informed, plus spend longer here.

My facination with doors...

by Gwenvar

Everywhere that I go, I look at and take pictures of doors. I guess that it has something to do with it being the embracing and welcoming feature in a house. That is, if it is of an inviting nature. Look at this one for instance. I like the fact that it is of natural colored wood, it makes it looking ancient and well cared for. Like it is still part of an old forest in which a Troll or two would be living. The fact that the wall is of mineral nature, almost the same color as the wooden door, transcends that foresty feeling. Making it a bit harsh even, if it wasn't for that lovelly rose colored bush that adds an etheral quality to the ensemble. I think that I would enjoy meeting the foresty-nature loving people living in this house! ;-)

A natural wonder

by Jenniflower

This coastal areas of East Devon and Dorset were both officially recognised as a 'natural wonder of the world' in 2001.

I didnt realise this when travelling through Dorset, but now that I know, it makes sense. It is a beautiful green, lush landscape, with supurb cliffs and natural beauty.

Fossils from many thousands of years ago have been found along this shore too, and it holds international geological significance because of this.

Craftmanship

by Jenniflower

Much of the village we see today, hails from the 18th century.

It is incredible to think that buildings etc. are still standing after all this time!

House building was in huge demand during this time as this was the centre of the Purbeck stone trade. When this trade then unfortunately moved to the coast of Swansea, Corfe village declined to a certain extent.

This shows the excellent craftmanship of the builders and craft people of the time. Some modern homes nowadays dont last 20 years due to shoddy workmanship!

Its incredible history!

by Jenniflower

What amazed me as I did more research on Corfe village was how old it is and how it has cemented itself in the history text book in England!

Fossils and other artifacts have been found on Corfe Common that date back to 6,000BC! There are also a few barrows - burial mounds - in this area, which date back to this time.

There is further evidence that the Celtics lived here, plus the Romans, the Vikings and Saxons, and the Normans.

Evidence is in the form of fossils, artifacts like pottery, Roman industrial sites etc.

Comments