1 Acreman Street , Sherborne, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about The Bakehouse

Sherbone's Best...... What a Fantastic Find

by TripAdvisor Member Doug_Marie

Although we arrived 2 hours later than planned, we were warmly welcomed by Malcolm, who had a surperb roast dinner waiting for us, with all the trimmings and a glass of good cheer, followed by a rhubarb crumble, that was out of this world.

This is a Great Location a lovely old Market town with good shops, and only a stones trow from the Abbey and local attractions, plenty of restaurants and good pubs... although you would be hard pushed to find food anywhere as good as Malcolms....
We also enjoyed a wonderful cooked breakfast, Fresh Coffee, Juice, Dorset Museli, Toast and a lovley selection of Jams & Marmalades... Malcolm is a brillant host, and nothing is to much trouble, we sure felt at home there.

The Bakehouse had a nice relaxed, friendly and homely feel with beautiful appointed rooms , very comfortable, clean and spacious, The bathroom had a good poweful shower. This lovely old place has bundles of charm and character. It is in a league of its own, compared to others we have stayed in the area and Better by far ...
A real Diamond in Dorset.....Thank-You.
We have already booked for a longer stay...

well done

by TripAdvisor Member SLEEPERYork

Malcolm was cheerful, sociable and helpful. He took real pains to make
our brief stay one of the best B&B experiences. The ensuite was very good, decorated with interesting antiques and offering easy private access (all day). The cooked breakfast was perfect, as one might expect of a former chef. No Charles Forte measured portions here. Affability is Malcolm's watchword.

Are there two Bakehouses in Sherborne?

by TripAdvisor Member Rock-Ape-54

We needed somewhere to bed down for a single night and made contact with the owner directly by 'phone. I had looked at the photographs taken at the Bakehouse and very much liked the look of the rooms, reviews were also very good. We were duly booked into the Art Deco room that apparently overlooks the Abbey. We thought we had it made.

On arrival we were initially somewhat surprised at the look of the place from the outside but were warmly welcomed by the owner. We were then told that the room we had booked was not available as a guest had decided to extend their stay. We were shown next door to a room (Room 6), if it was themed it was for the slovenly scullery maid. The decor was slap-dash, the fabric of the room, e.g. coving, woodwork etc, could at best be described as work-in-progress, although it was considered complete. There were holes through the door were the old handle had been replaced, there were no door jams. The 'irregularities' in the finish of the woodwork were not going to be covered up by years of sub-standard paintwork either. The coving did touch the walls occasionally but would have really appreciated more than what looked like a single coat of watered-down emulsion, the finish on the walls not much better. The whole thing looked as though it had been DIY'd and decorated by someone whose skills lay in a totally different direction. To top it all the carpet was not exactly clean.

To be positive, the bathroom suite was almost new and in very good condition. Pity that the original window in the bathroom had to be boarded over (badly) with some 3mm painted plywood and a huge ornate mirror.

We did enquire at the local pub/hotel (where we have stayed before) if they had rooms; I was prepared to walk out of the Bakehouse. They unfortunately had none (missed the last one by a mere 20 minutes, damn). I also considered leaving later as we returned after our night out and driving home, leaving a contribution towards our stay, but too much wine with dinner put paid to that idea.

The public areas faired no better, nor did a couple of other rooms I took a peek in. I really think that simply describing the place as 'rustic' with no touches of a woman, and then put beautiful pictures on the website was very misleading, and I think the standard should have been a lot higher, especially in Room 6, and especially as the room still cost me as much as the Art Deco one promised.

I admit that I did not comment directly to the owner, for two reasons. One I don't look for confrontation, and two, I really don't think he would have had a clue what I was talking about. He was a good host, welcoming and attentive and seemed like a good chap (even for a Spurs supporter).

We did not have an evening meal there, but breakfast was no more than acceptable, no two pieces of crockery matched anywhere in the room from what I could see.

One other guest was heard to remark at breakfast "the use of so many 'antiques' was an excuse to fill the place with a lot of old tatty furniture".

We were obviously not happy with our stay; you might have picked up on that. I am quite prepared to believe the content of the other reviews; perhaps this one would have been much different if we had stayed in the Art Deco room. Although our views on the other public areas would not have altered.

So what is good about the Bakehouse?
Get the picture.

I could never recommend a stay at the Bakehouse based on our experience; I just wish we had been accommodated in the Bakehouse, in a themed room and not next-door. Things might have been so different. Perhaps it's just me being picky, go and make up your own mind, but don't accept Room 6!!!!

no home comforts at the bakehouse

by TripAdvisor Member GADABOUTS2

20th February 2008 The Bakehouse Hotel Sherborne Dorset
we have just returned from a weekend in dorset where we stayed at this hotel. It definitely was lacking in the home comfort stakes. Our first impression was when we looked through the dining room window at three in the afternoon and .there were still dirty cereal bowls on the table from breakfast. The room that we expected to be en-suite actually had a bathroom across the landing. Yes it was just for our use but we were unprepared without a robe as it isn't what you would expect.Two tiny towels were grey and unchanged all weekend (we purchased some more from the local shop in town at our expense). It had a very poor heating system so I was cold all the time(although the owner did give me a fan heater when told about it). on the website he does mention food offering three course meals but he didn't offer us this in fact he told us to go to the chippy. Breakfast was very basic with very little choice. Although friendly enough he really needs to up his game and concentrate more on the hotel side of things and less on his antique shop and it really needs a feminine touch which was sadly not there would not stay there again as cold stone floors and dirty towels don't do it for me

Great Character

by TripAdvisor Member NorfolkEbony

From the moment I contacted the proprietor to the time I departed I found Malcolm and his team to be extremely welcoming and only too happy to accommodate my dietary requirements, accede to my lack of local knowledge but above all provide an environment which clearly had the interest of the client at its heart.

R Chapman,
Holt, Norfolk

Cold in Dorset

by TripAdvisor Member MrGadabout2

Hi,
We stayed at the Bakehouse for 2 nights, which were very cold as the central heating was on the blink. The rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. The towels in our bathroom left a bit to be desired so we bought some on the high street, the bathroom was large and airy and had plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was plentiful with a choice of cereals and a (nearly) full English along with copious amounts of tea or coffee.
Malcolm was probably the most enthusiastic host I have ever come across and if enthusiasm was all it takes this would have been a brilliant stay. However, in this day and age people have a higher degree of expectancy, and bathrooms over the landing just don't cut it anymore. It probably wouldn't have mattered if we had been forewarned as we could have brought a robe with us. As it was we had to purchase one in Sherborne (not the cheapest place in the world).
All in all I didn't dislike the place, I thought if Malcolm could spend more time running the place he could have earned an Excellent rating, but because he is overstretched running the Bakehouse and an Antiques shop I think he would benefit from a Manager or possibly a better housekeeper, the place could really come to life.
Mr Gadabout2

Silence, Privacy, Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Bettien

I stayed in The Bakehouse with my boyfriend for 5 nights and I'm really surprised by some of the opinions below. We stayed in the room 6 which is considered as the worst one. We really enjoyed! Of course, it wasn't very warm. But it's an old building, with old door, windows have holes (the biggest i filled with tissues to feel more comfortable) so it's really not difficult to predict how it will be on colder days. The radiator was very hot each evening and night and every day Malcolm was asking us if we weren't too cold.
When we arrived, the room was VERY clean, the carpet was just cleaned (still wet, we had to change socks:P), sheets were clean, ironed and of good quality. Not a single stain on the wall, clean furniture, dishes, a lot of tea, coffee (good for me, I'm addicted and have loads;P), sugar, tea for guests. Pictures on the wall, very big and comfortable bed (not very soft - good for people with back pains, like me - it's one of the things on which i pay the most attention), good working tv with 4 channels. Bathroom was also very clean, fresh, nice smelling towels, hot water (as much as we wished), even basic hygiene products such as soap, shampoo, shower gel. Yea, sure that an antique wardrobe may look a bit funny in the modern bathroom but well, I assumed it was the way it should be.
The room was cleaned like 2 times during our stay. Here is the thing i could mention - informing the guests it's going to happen. We didn't expect it at all (never happened to us in B&B to have our room cleaned). Of course it's a nice thing to find clean cups and empty bin in the room but we really felt awkward that we left such a mess (all clothes on the floor, dirty socks somewhere in the bathroom... ). It's better to let guests know, just to avoid them being ashamed!
Breakfasts we liked too. Few cereals to choose from, few marmalades, cooked breakfast if someone wishes. Whole kettle of tea and coffee.
Malcolm, the owner is a very friendly and caring person, asks 5 times a day if we have all we need. His dog has become the second love of my life :) The owner also showed his good will - we had problems with my boyfriend's cheques and the payment sent twice never reached its aim - the booking was kept for us anyway and we could pay after arrival..
To recap - we had good time there, didn't turn into snowmen despite spending a lot of time indoors, it is a good place for someone who lives in the big city and wants to escape for a while to different epoque, to forget about the world around him.
Would we come back? Yes, definitely. Although Sherborne isn't the kind of place you could visit 20 times, it's worth to spend a few days there to calm down in silence and privacy.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member JulieS77

I stayed at the Bakehouse for one night whilst in Dorset on business. Got a very warm welcome from Malcolm, who was a good host and made me feel very welcome.

Room was very comfortable, bathroom lovely and after a long day's travelling it was very welcome to able to sink straight into a lovely hot bath before heading out for food.

Would happily stay here again!

Convenient, freindly & good value

by TripAdvisor Member travellerLondonUk

Comfortable, quiet room with newly fitted bathroom and very powerful shower. New towels (see earlier review). Great host (Malcolm) - helpful, amenable & a good cook - satisfying breakfast. Central & convenient..

You cannot do better for the price - far more cheerful and characterful than any chain hotel.

Friendly home from home

by TripAdvisor Member AbbeyroadLondon

Malcolm is a warm and friendly host. He offered to pick me up from the station and then delivered a bottle of wine up to our room for an early evening aperitif. Prawns were served in the garden to catch the last of the evening sun before a simple and wholesome fish summer was served. The bed was comfortable, the room was spacious and the view over to the abbey was the icing on the cake.
The Bakehouse is a real gem.

The Tutankhamun ExhibitionThe Tutankhamun Exhibition