FJB SANDBANKS HOTEL

Satisfaction Average

More about FJB SANDBANKS HOTEL

The Sandbanks hotel stands on the beautiful Sandbanks Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Tracey0463

The Sandbanks hotel stands on the beautiful Sandbanks Beach and being that we stayed during the summer of August 2006, it really could have been that we were on the beach in the Bahamas! We believe that this beach has also won the prestigious Blue Flag Award in recent years.

Leading from the beach up to the steps to the Sandbanks Terrace yu are met with the stylish set-up of terrace tables and sum umbrellas to the barbecue in full swing for lunch and the temporary square bar in the middle offering anything from lemonade to large jugs of thirst-quenching Pimms.

There is a good selection from the lunch-time menu of delicious sandwiches and panins where you can sit out overlooking the sea and the impressive beach.

Then there is the Sandbanks Brasserie Restaurant with its wonderful outlook over the sea from the terrace offering more mouth-watering cuisine if you fancy more than a sandwich. Sandbanks also offers a Kiddi-Bar for the younger children to eat at regular times during the day or you can choose to have them sit with you in the restaurants for a surcharge.

This hotel has excellent facilities and updates its style regularly keeping on top of its looks as a contemporary stylish hotel.

During peak times there is a fantastic resident entertainment team for youngsters, whereby you can get to enjoy rest and relaxation whilst the kids are safely entertained nby the team. There are lots of evening entertainment including a karaoke night, the weekly disco hosted by a popular member of the team who always gets the night off to a good start, and for us, it is always the pleasure of watching our teenagers dancing the night away with their friends, some they have grown up with over the years, in a very safe but adult environment. The team work hard and always manage to get the kids to enter the weekly talent show!

During evening dinner the children are entertained with fun, games and dancing in the Ballroom, whilst we parents sample the superb cuisine in the Sea-View Restaurant which overlooks the terrace and beyond.

We also enjoy the weekly Barbecue held on the extensive terrace on a Thursday evening during the summer, where after eating we could watch the fireworks display from the barges out at sea.

There are also two different bands playing alternately so we could have a dance or just relax on the terrace. It does get very busy on these particular nights, but it all adds to the attractive atmosphere on a warm summer's evening.

There is also the Sands Bar which offers another impressive view of the Harbour opposite with tables and chairs out on the terrace at the front of the hotel with disabled access from the car park into the bar, you may also catch a glimpse of kayaking or paragliding taking place.

This hotel also offered beach-front watersports for guests at a minimal cost including a power boat ride and the hilarious banana boat rides for the more daring of us! We had a brilliant day watching the teenagers having fun on this ride and they loved it as well.

The bedrooms were fully-equipped with most offering satellite television, trouser press and tea/coffee making facilities. Some newly-refurbished rooms offer the latest plasma screens as well as stylish comfortable accommodation.

Also some bedrooms are situated where they have views across either the Harbourside or the sea encompassing some of the most stunning landscape in this beautiful area.

The hotel also offers leisure facilities including a swimming pool, sauna and fitness gym where I could burn off some unwanted calories! There is also a beauty salon offering a full range of ladies and gentlemen's treatments.

My children and I and my family love the ease of driving to this stylish contemporary hotel, the ease of unpacking and away, without the hassle of getting on and off aeroplanes, packed airports or facing delays.

This hotel really is a Jewel in the Dorset Crown!

Poole

by grayfo

Poole is home to Europe's largest natural harbour, second only to Sydney in the world and has over three miles of award winning beaches, including Sandbanks with its fine sands and shallow sea.

For visitors, the harbour area is the appeal of Poole. It has lots of exotic wildlife, good beaches, sand dunes and numerous watersports, including rowing and water-skiing.

September 1996

Cycling the seafront Hegisbury to Poole

by LouiseTopp

I have just completed a charity cycle ride from Hengisbury Head to Poole, & the Chain Ferry to Studland & onto Swanage itself. It takes 30 mins to cycle from Hengisbury to Bournemouth, & another from there to Poole through Sandbanks.

You can stop off @ Bournemouth pier & hop on a the Dorset Bella either to Poole, or Swanage.

Cycling is restricted, so 10 mile an hour is the going rate. It's quite a pleasant ride, but do be aware that people will wander across your path. The fine is £50 if caught, so look out for beach authorities in dark green t-shirts; they will pounce on you.

Bournemouth

by annase

Traditionally a large retirement town, Bournemouth has experienced growth in recent years, especially through the increasing numbers of students attending Bournemouth University. The city overlooks Poole Bay and the Isle of Wight, which is visible from some vantage points. It also has 7 miles of sand and stone beaches that run from Christchurch in the east to Sandbanks in the west.
The city is located directly to the east of the Jurassic Coast, a 95 mile section of beautiful and largely unspoilt coastline that has been designated a World Heritage Site. The Jurassic Coast provides a complete geological record of the Jurassic period and a rich fossil record.

Things to do in Bounemouth:

-Go up in the Bournemouth Eye, offering panoramic views of up to 25 miles on clear days.
-Hire a deck chair, soak up some sun rays and have a dip in the sea.
-Have fish 'n' chips by the seaside
-Take a mile and a half walk from the seafront through Lower Gardens (there are several birds in the park too).
-You can experience swimming with the sharks, whales and dolphins without getting wet at the interactive dive cage at the Oceanarium.
-There are regular boat connections from Bournemouth Pier to neighbouring town, Poole, that has the second largest natural harbour in the world, or to the Dorset Belles. Expect puffin spotting, the Jurassic Coast or the beautiful views of Swanage.

Visit Anglesey

by margaretvn

Visit Anglesey (Ynys Môn in Welsh).
It is the northernmost part of Wales. It is a beautiful island made up of green fields, rocky shores and other, smaller islands. Holy Island lies off Anglesey's western shore, separated by sandbanks and a narrow winding channel which is crossed by two roads. It covers an area of 73 square kilometres ad fornms a rocky spine extending into the waters of the Irish Sea. Here there are unspoiled farmlands, wild cliffs, ancient sites and long beautiful sandy beaches. Most visitors go via the A5 crossing over the Stanley Embankment road link from Anglesey. In the north Beddmanarch Bay attracts wildfowl, seabirds and waders. The London - Holyhead road has always been important as it was, and is England's road into Ireland. A century ago the great breakwater at Holyhead was sheltering more than a hundred ships and there was a busy little town there. In fact there has been a site at Holyhead since the third century AD. To the west of the town is South Stack with the remains of a Stone Age settlement in heather and bracken covered slopes. The A5 runs to Holyhead and the road was opened in 1826, it was built by Thomas Telford. He was a great Scottish engineer.

Don't listen to the negative reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member when_do_I_go_away

Having read through some of the negative reviews on this site, I feel compelled to disagree. Agreed, the Sandbanks hotel is not cheap - we paid around £200 per night for 2 days last week which included breakfast and evening meal - but it is one of the best locations I have stayed at in this country. Service is excellent, we had no problem changing our room to one with a balcony, and the atmosphere is utterly relaxing. In a world where no one is happy unless they have a found an absolute bargain, I feel perfectly satisfied with my two day stay. We'll be back one day too!

Beautiful setting

by TripAdvisor Member LisaC22

Me and my boyfriend recently stayed at the Sandbanks Hotel for 1 night whilst attending a function there.
The hotel is very well situated with sea views at the back and front of the hotel. When we sat on the terrace with the sun shining it almost felt like being abroad. However, they are currently redecorating some of the bedrooms and we found ourselves booked in one of the older looking rooms. It was nothing like the bedrooms advertised on their website.
The function itself was excellent. Well organised and the room beautifully decorated. The food was wonderful both at the evening meal and the breakfast the next morning.
For the price we paid we were a little disappointed with our bedroom. Not sure if we would go back again by ourselves.

Unpleasant, unhelpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member Annie39

We booked a double room for 1 night and received a corporate rate of £92.00 including breakfast because I work for a company who receives corporate discounts from the Sandbanks.

When we arrived the staff explained that if my husband wanted to stay in the room with me we would have to pay an additional £92! They said that because I had booked a corporate rate with them it only applied to one person (not explained at the time of booking) and that only I could use the room. Since it was 7.00 p.m. in the evening just after the Easter weekend, they knew we were stuck and it would be difficult to find another hotel. It seemed to us that the hotel were trying to profit from a misunderstanding with the booking. We would have happily paid a small supplement (e.g. £20) but to double the price of the room was very unreasonable. The attitude of the staff during this encounter was I'm afraid to say rude and unpleasant. Their attitude was very much take it or leave it - it's school holidays, we're busy and we don't care.

If you must stay at the Sandbanks - be VERY WARY of any special offers or discounted rates and read the small print very carefully.

Wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member nirst

This hotel was great. I stayed here for two nights on business and after initially being apprehensive, I found a great hotel with wonderful views and incredible food.

I stayed in a single room overlooking the beach and I can tell you that the TV was not required! There were always people to watch surfing on the beach etc. I love it by the sea, so I had a whale of a time walking on the beach in the evenings - very relaxing!

Also here, the food is wonderful. I was on my own so preferred to have room service, rather than eat in the bistro. They were very obliging, sending my order up to my room. For fans of food, this was top notch stuff - gormet food to your room!

The hotel does retain a sense of old fashioned style, but it suits its location perfectly - a traditional beach side hotel with excellent service and excellent facilities. Recommended!

Misleading descriptions and poor service mar great location

by TripAdvisor Member Travelwith2children

This could be a great hotel. Poor service and false descriptions mean that it has a long way to go. We were sold 2 harbour facing rooms. They faced the car park. There was a chocalte bar ground into the carpet outside one of them. They say they have an AA Rosette for food. That's for the Brasseris which was closed throughout our stay, in the busy half term week. The restaurant service is poor with friendly staff in need of training. They don't know what mineral water they serve. Roast beef is only in medium or well done form, not rare, even at the beginning of service. They promise service at breakfast and wouldn't even bring the coffee. This is not £300/night service.
The tired room we were offered as an alternative had a great view and I can understand why the stunning views could deliver for many guests. The children's entertainers were excellent.
This could be a great spot if the management showed a real concern for quality. This week, they didn't.

SandbanksSandbanks

Sandbanks

by stannsenior

What can anyone tell me about Sandbanks, near Poole? Is there a lot to do around there? A lot of day trip castles, historical things, shopping etc.? I know London is about two hours away - is there a train into London? how easy is traveling without a car?

Re: Re: Sandbanks

by GillianMcLaughlin

Sandbanks itself is a bit soul-less (I should know, I worked a summer in the Haven Hotel right beside the chain ferry). The only things of REAL interest there are one or two of the little beaches (not too crowded) and the fact that John Lennon's famous Aunt Mimi ended her days in the house beside the bus stop near the ferry!

Otherwise, I agree, cross over to the Isle of Purbeck and you have fantastic beaches, great walks across the downs, and really wonderful little villages. Corfe village and the castle are like the photos you find on chocolate boxes and biscuit tins. Wareham is a very historical town too, and Swanage is an OK place to base yourself - lots of typical seaside stuff (punch and judy in the summer, ice cream, amusement arcades...)

Depends how much time you have really. If you have a car you can get around to places like Lullworth Cove and Blue Pool... but even by bus you can visit Corfe, Wareham and, work your way West towards Dorchester. This is really the area Thomas Hardy wrote about and you'll find lots of references to him. Given the choice I'd be less incluned to stay in Sandbanks, than to work my way round Dorset... it's a beautiful county

The train to London stops at Wareham, Poole and Bournemouth.

Enjoy yourself

Moving to Poole area

by nadene22

We are planning to move down to Poole in the new year and have no idea of the best areas, best primary schools etc.. Can anyone give some advice....
Many thanks

Re: Moving to Poole area

by Doc.Holidays

It's all pretty nice. The Bournemouth Poole area is a nice place to be.

Re: Moving to Poole area

by Parttimetraveller

I'll try and be a bit more enlightening than the last response!
The best areas are Sandbanks, Canford Cliffs or anywhere with seas views but unless you're a millionaire this may not be where you end up. More affordable is Parkstone and Branksome, and they're not far from the see and are sandwiched between Bournemouth and Poole.
As for schools, I haven't got kids but going by reputation Baden Powell and Lilliput are supposed to be very good. Hope this helps and let me know if you've got any other queries.

RE: Moving to Poole area

by hann_j

Hope this doesn't come too late. Hhave only just discovered site and forum.
I am a local primary school teacher, living and working in swanage.
Lilliput does have good reputation, but is over-subscribed and as previous respondant said, is within 'millionaires' catchment.
Internet is a good source of information for schools - you can look at ofsted reports online and the schools' websites give a more personal perspective. I recently checked out Upton infants school website and ofsted report and they looked good - academically and also for ethos and 'fun aspects'! If you are further towards Wareham, Sandford First school comes with a personal recommendation!
Hope you are happy settling down here. It's a great place to live!

Comments