Moonfleet Manor & Sports Resort

Fleet Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT3 4ED, United Kingdom
Moonfleet Manor Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

More about Moonfleet Manor & Sports Resort

Pity about the smoke and broken toys

by TripAdvisor Member Zing1

We had a very relaxing, enjoyable few days at beautifully located and child-friendly Moonfleet Manor. The restaurant evening meals were great as was high tea for the kids (although overpriced).

It was a pity that they continue to allow smoking in the two adjacent lounge areas, which for a family hotel, is quite astonishing in this era!

The play areas are great, but unfortunately there were many broken toys and a real shortage of toys that toddlers could be pushed around on.

fantastic place with lots of charm and great walks (very children friendly too)

by TripAdvisor Member brrrm

We stayed here for 4 nights in May, it was a fantastic stay with really nice, attentive staff. The food in the evening was usually of very high standards (and was included in our rate) and the reataurant has the designer touch that makes you feel like you're in a trendy London restaurant (apart from the stunning views of the jurassic coast through the huge windows that give it away that you are actually far away from the bustling capital.). There was a rather dodgy crumble desert one evening but the deserts for the rest of the stay was so fantastic it almost seemed as though the crumble had been a glitsh.

What has to be said is that the hotel is VERY children friendly (we were the only couple bar one with kids), but that just adds to the easy-going atmosphere of the hotel. It is really a wonderful blend between classic beauty and sophistication, yet not too posh. The excellent walks and nature around the coast just rounded off the great experience. We did not really make use of the excellent sports facilities in the hotel. We will definitely be back...probably with kids sometime in the future :-)

Great family hotel

by TripAdvisor Member newmum

My husband, 17 month old daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights in early September. We had a great time.

The hotel is definately a family hotel, lots for the kids to do in good and bad weather. We were extremely lucky with the weather and were rarely inside.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Free milk from reception for the kids, they'll wash the bottles too.

The food in the restaurant is good, we never had a bad meal.

The only downside were the beds. The hotel is all olde-world and the beds are too. They look very nice but are very creaky and fairly uncomfortable. Every time we moved the bed creaked which woke our daughter up and her cot was creaky as well which also woke her up. We may have been unlucky with our bed but this is the reason why I've dropped a star from the rating.

Do Not Go There....

by TripAdvisor Member wonderlust2

We booked the best coach house room at Moonfleet for a four night stay (£350) per night ! with our 19month old son.We booked on line with info from the website. We expected a luxury room with sea views (ha, ha). Our room was very basic , damp, shabby and with live and dead flies (who checked in before us). As for the view it was of a 1960's static caravan and tumbled down old brick shed! We were extremely disapionted. We decided to look around at the hotel facilities - the pool areas were awful - peeling paint work in the pools- smelly and very small. I would not risk my health or my sons by swimming in them. The creche had no natural daylight , was dark , damp ,dismal and empty ! I would not feel comfortable leaving my child in there. It looked like a converted garage....We stayed for 3 hrs and decided to turn around and go straight back home. The whole place needs an overhaul and is totally overpriced! No luxury anywhere whatsoever.Fautly Towers without the jokes. More honesty needed on the website !

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member InspectorDiddy

We have just returned from a 2 night stay and have loved every minute of our break! The Hotel is in a fantastic selcluded location yet is only a 10 minute drive from Weymouth beach. We booked a deluxe double room which was fairly large and accomodated a travel cot easily for our 21 month old baby. The room was very clean with a massive comfortable bed with a huge warm duvet! There were a lot of small children and babies at the Hotel but still found it to be quiet and relaxing. The childrens high tea was a favourite with our baby, he was able to have his tea then join us in the main restaurant whilst we ate our meal, the staff were only too pleased to ensure he was offered snacks to keep him occupied whilst we ate. I am very fussy and always find something to complain about when staying in hotels but can honestly say that this hotel is 100% perfect and will be returning for another break soon.

Family Friendly and Relaxing!

by TripAdvisor Member ReviewerCB

We enjoyed our weekend break at Moonfleet very much. Our 7 year old loved the children's facilities, the family dog was made welcome and my husband and myself enjoyed some quiet time together. Problems arise ,I believe, because the hotel group markets Moonfleet as a Luxury Family Hotel and charges quite a lot to stay there - thus the expectations of arriving guests are quite high. So while the hotel is comfortable and laid-back in a quirky sort of way, it is not really luxurious. What you are paying for clearly are the children's facilities and staffing of the creche etc.
Style wise it's 'shabby chic'. Sorry to use that well worn expression again but it does sum it up really well. Lounge areas are comfortable - shall we say I wasn't afraid to take the dog into them - and child friendly ( comics as well as newspapers). Staff generally very good indeed - in particular in the restaurant and the lovely lady who baby-sat for us while we ate dinner. Our bedroom turned out to be two interconnecting rooms - great as it gave us some privacy - but here the decor was perhaps a little too shabby - wardrobe wouldn't close properly, tiny and aged portable tv. However it was clean and the fluffy bath towels and robes most acceptable.
The hotel is the most child friendly I have ever visited. I didn't go in the pool but my husband and son did without complaint. No. it's not a 5 Star resort that's true, but it's certainly not as dire as some reviews would suggest. I can guarantee you that I would not leave my son in a place I felt was unsuitable or unclean and I had no hesitation in leaving him with the lovely girls in the creche - and HE was very keen to go back again. No there's no natural light but it's well kitted out and all the children I saw there seemed quite content. I agree that the whole place could do with a bit of a face lift and some money spent on it - but on the plus side if you have young chldren you're not living in fear of them damaging anything or being a bother to anyone. Outside there are climbing frames, a trampoline and a sand-pit, while the older children have a huge annexe filled with mini-tennis, another trampoline, giant chess, skittles, pool etc ( and there's a bar close to hand serving coffee or alcoholic drinks - as you choose)
Dinner was lovely - although I agree with others in that I would have liked to have seen a little variation - and spot on for its 2 Rosette status. Wine list fab if, like us, you drink New World wines. Service was very good too - no complaints. We enjoyed breakfast also - plenty of choice and hot dishes constantly replenished.
So, all in all a good weekend. The coastline in this area is just spectacular and great dog walking country. Weymouth is only a couple of miles away and Dorchester not much further. Yes, I would go back, but it is an expensive weekend and so return vists will be well spaced out. Just bear in mind that one person's idea of luxury is not another's. Moonfleet has much to offer - but some areas do need attention - especially at the rates it charges.

Oh dear

by TripAdvisor Member CassF

We stayed here for 4 nights in September. It's more than "shabby chic" - it was dirty with stained & ripped carpets and cobwebs. There were broken toys in the garden and indoor play area (at least clear them away if not replace them!). The swimming pool and changing area was mouldy and falling to bits. The staff were hit and miss. Oh and we were overcharged for the room, meals and we even had someone else's bar bill added to our bill, despite the fact we were asked 5 times each evening which room we were in.
We were expecting Woolley Grange with a swimming pool, I'd rather have just gone back to Woolley Grange.

a very special place

by TripAdvisor Member sallylunn

We have stayed in this hotel for every year for the last 7 years since our first daughter was born.

We have been back every year as it is unrivalled in its relaxed, cosy ambiance and fantastic friendly staff.

We have stayed in many hotels, some far more expensive than the Moonfleet, but it remains our firm favourite.

This year we booked almost the entire hotel for our 40/50th birthday - we had 46 adults and 25 kids of all ages.

Everyone had a fantastic weekend - the staff pulled out all the stops and were absolutely fantastic from housekeping slipping welcomimg gifts into rooms on our behalf to Fiona the manageres dealing with every little detailed request however small with humour and a can do spirit - we could not fault it.

Great facilities for families, but needs a makeover

by TripAdvisor Member EllouisaC

We stayed here with a 2 year old and a 9 month old. The recreation and meal facilities are great for children, as is the evening room listening facility. With two small children, daytime is never going to be particularly relaxing, so it's a big plus to be able to go downstairs at the end of the day for a relaxing meal, knowing that you will be called if your children call out for attention. The baby listening facility does genuinely work as we saw other parents being told that their child was crying (however, it does not constantly monitor each room and will not alert you to a toddler creeping around the room! The hotel also provides babysitters). The restaurant was excellent and of better quality than what any other hotels in Dorset which welcome families seem to offer. While we were there, the hotel brochure announced that the hotel group had been bought out by another luxury hotel group, so hopefully that will lead to a makeover to bring it up to luxury standards (as I would not say that it merits that label right now). There were people staying here without children, but I would not recommend it for those after a romantic getaway given the number of children around.

Could be great...but owners need to spend some money!

by TripAdvisor Member KentishMole

The balance of the other reviews is about right. We stayed here for 3 nights with 3 year old and 1 year old girls in December.

Good points first: very peaceful and picturesque location; friendly (although not amazingly efficient) staff, and very good food - much better than I had expected. I also thought the creche was pretty good and reasonably well equipped. Also, very cozy and comfortable lounge areas. The massage/beauty treatments were also very good.

Downsides: "Shabby chic" is about right. Fine in the rooms and lounges, but the pool area and changing rooms really needs knocking down and starting again. Appreciate this would be costly, but it doesn't look like it's had anything spent on it since about 1973! Also, not much of a welcome on arrival.

A couple of things which would be easy to put right and would make a big difference: 1. There is a huge indoor play area, but it has vast amounts of empty space. It would be so easy just to put in an extra trampoline, some additional ride-on toys, slide etc.
2. Why does a "luxury family hotel" with sky TV in rooms only have 1 childrens TV channel - and that (Nickolodeon) only suitable for (principally American) over 8 year olds? Why can't CBeebies for example be added? It just smacks of carelessness.thoughtlessness - something which is pretty true of the hotel as a whole I would say.

RoyalRoyal

Prezzo Italian Restaurant, Weymouth.Prezzo Italian Restaurant, Weymouth.

Bouncing bombBouncing bomb