44 Marine Parade, Kemp Town, Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 1PE, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 11% higher but also costs 31% more than other 4 star hotels

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Luxury small hotel

drakes of Brighton, is "a luxury boutique hotel on the seafront that combines breathtaking design with warm, friendly service and all the amentities you would expect from a 4 star townhouse hotel" ...

I have not stayed there actually, but my Mum, the Dutchman, Sister No 1 & Bother-in law No 1 have. They stayed there at Christmas 2006 after discovering that Blanche House was closed that year for the Christmas period.

As it says above, drakes (with a small 'd') pitch themselves as a luxury boutique hotel and they are indeed, right on the seafront on the east side of Brighton.

There are approx eleven luxury rooms (one of 25 sq meters), many with free standing baths (some in the rooms) and each with a unique luxury design.

The hotel also houses the Gingerman Restaurant, a high class affair (starters at around £10, mains at around £22) featuring such delight as 'Wild mushroom with poached quails eggs', fresh fish of the day and 'Rib eye of Scotch beef' (not sure what the latter is!), but generally 'posh nosh' ; )

I have visited the cocktail bar (open 24hrs to geusts) where I sampled their rather good drinks and where my family managed to run up a very large bill with champaign at £100 a bottle (Hmmm!) I did not find it had quite the same 'vibe' as the Blanche House Hotel bar (my fave) but it was in the middle of the day and they did a very decent Marguerita.

My Mum loved it!

They also have facilties for meetings and you can even get married there (see their website for details).

Unique Quality: Perfect for a romantic or indulgent short stay and a visit to the cocktail bar (keep an eye on the prices if you are ordering champagne!) and many have sea views through large Georgian windows

Alot of natural wood (all floors) and light and airy rooms in an old building of personality. All superior rooms have sea views, chairs from Noblins' in Paris. electronic silent gliss curtains, flat screen lcd tvs and dvd players and free broadband.

Standard rooms (city view) have "queen size beds, a small shower wetroom and a free standing bath set within a frosted bay window and make these secluded rooms ideal for an intimate liaison".

Directions: Seafront. To the elft of the Palace pier if you are facing the sea.

More about Drakes

Not the best hotel in the world but definitly worth a visit

by TripAdvisor Member Schmaltzy

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the smallest rooms available as this was all that was available at such short notice.

I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.

I don't think there was a lot of storage space but it was ideal for us as we were only staying one night.

The room was small but an adequate size for such a short stay. The view was great.

The restaurant is supposed to be great but there was nothing that we fancied on the menu as most of it was very over the top. Room service doesn't run very late.

The room was well decorated and the bathroom was a good design.

The room was fairly clean.

It's not the best hotel in the world but I certainly recommend it if you are in Brighton.

exhibitionism in great surroundings

Utterly sexy. I booked one of the two 'circular rooms' for my boyfriend's birthday and it did not disappoint. Gorgeously designed place, lovely staff, CD player in the room so you can bring your own sounds, fantastic bed, sexy wet-room style bathroom. Drank champagne in the giant bath placed in the window overlooking the sea: top deck bus passengers got an eyeful but hey, we were celebrating.

Great bed, great views, great for exhibitionists

by TripAdvisor Member jvs2711

Stayed at Drakes during the Labour Party Conference. It is a charming bow-fronted hotel on the sea front, about ten minutes' walk from the town centre. I had one of the feature rooms on the first floor, with a bath on a plinth in the window. Fabulous walking into the room - definitely not a disappointment. Large flat screen TV, masses of comfy pillows, a nice wetroom with glass shelving, and an electrically operated curtain across the clothes hanging space.

As with most designer hotels, sometimes the design works a bit too hard for comfort. Closing the shutters (essential as no curtains) was difficult as the furniture and bath in front of them made it difficult. The plumbing in the wetroom left a little to be desired (the loo was very sluggish).

The staff were excellent and made me the best hot lemon drinks ever when I came down with a cold. There is limited parking on the forecourt (four cars). The restaurant must be good, judging by the good quality of the room service. Nice porridge with maple syrup!

Would go again.

Still got the bruises

by TripAdvisor Member Sinbaddylad

From reading other people's reviews, my girlfriend and I thought we where in for a real treat. We walked into the lovely bar/reception area and Amanda was lovely and greeted us well and helped us with parking. The room had a real "wow" factor when we where shown to it, with a wet-room, the worlds most comfortable bed/pillows/duvet and a double-bath in our room.

Then we realised, that actually the room is far too tiny. This was our second night in Brighton, so we had several bags but nowhere to store them, the bed was huge but we musy have knocked our shins on the wooden plinth several times, and the bruises are still there, the wet-room was a little odd, as the water from the shower really soaked the shower-room AND the bedroom floor. The additional pillows and bed-covers had to be stored in the bath, which meant no bath for us...

To top it all off, we didn't get any sleep whatsoever as the kitchen extractor "wasn't switched off". The hotel apologised and gave us a discount, but it really did take the gloss off our stay.

I would also suggest some aircon in the bar area, after a couple of drinks, our clothes where really smelly. A big thumbs down I'm afraid. But we would recommend the "(no name)" restaurant around the corner, and the free parking on the main road opposite the hotel, until 9am.

The Sexiest Hotel Room Ever!!

by TripAdvisor Member joellebo

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last night. We could have stayed forever!

The staff were the most professional, gorgeous, and friendly ever.

I booked the room a couple of days ago and secured my booking for 'The Feature Room', which is the room on the opening pages of their website.

I spoke with Sally at Drakes, who couldn't help enough. The trip was to celebrate my husband's 40th Birthday and she offered an array of fabulous room ideas to make it really special. I opted for beer and wine in the room and sure enough it was all taken care of. Sally ended the phone call saying she would be at the hotel to personally greet us on our arrival, which was such a nice touch.

The hotel is AMAZING! The bar/reception area was smaller than I envisaged but cosy and buzzing and we were greeted by huge smiles (rather like meeting old friends) which was so welcoming.

Words cannot describe the room! It is UNREAL!! We have stayed at The Sanderson, The Met, Myhotel and The Lennox but this really is something else. Hotel rooms never live up to your expectations but this room just blew everything away. This room had the most beautiful furniture, the softest bed ever and it was HUGE!! It was also spotless, which made us feel like we were the first couple to ever stay in this room. The view out of the huge windows will never fade, it was just too beautiful. There was also a large balcony and even in December you could stand outside on its south facing suntrap and drink coffee in your complimenary dressing gown and slippers!

The bath in the window was just so luxurious. We had no problems shutting the shutters, the plumbing was superb (unlike other reviews!).

I think you may realise now that we LOVED IT!!

So much other stuff to gush about like Sally organising us supper at Blanch House (which was amazing too!) as Drake's restaurant menu was a little too gamey for us.

All I can say is if you want the ultimate in hotel rooms and some special time alone, you MUST stay in this hotel and get this room!

THANK YOU SALLY! WE WILL BE BACK VERY SOON!

Wow factor

Supposed to stay at the Hotel Du Vin but was really put off by reviews on this website and my interactions with their staff. So I cancelled and booked the Drakes instead. Glad I did. Interesting that Hotel Du Vin were charging the highest possible rate for Boxing Day, whilst Drakes charged the lowest in their range. Drakes was still more expensive but certainly worth it!!!

Stayed in room 201 (Circular sea-facing) with my wife and 22 month daughter. More than enough space for the 3 of us. Fantastic room with amazing views to the sea, best enjoyed from the gorgeous bath, soaking in White Company products. Cot seemed brand new and already in the room waiting for us. Staff provided a phone so we could listen out for our daughter whilst in the restaurant. Food was gorgeous and lots of nice extra touches (maybe due to Christmas?). Agree with other review that menu is a bit meaty (no veg main course) but you could have an excellent wild mushroom risotto starter as a main. Breakfast very pleasant.

Also had a massage in the room, hotel gave a late checkout to accomodate this.

Really fantastic and friendly staff, truly amazing room and view, most comfortable bed ever, fun wet-room, and THAT bath ! ! ! Food wonderful. As you can tell we really, really loved our night there !

Only negative would be the other guests - considering they were all staying in a wonderful hotel around Christmas you would have expected them to be a more cheery bunch.

A class act

by TripAdvisor Member fabricoffolly

We spent one night at Drakes between Christmas and New Year and loved it. The staff were friendly and the room was beautifully done. The sunken bathroom (with lights that automaticaly come on when you enter) was a particularly nice feature. The bed was very comfortable, as was the oversize bath. We ate breakfast in the hotel's restaurant (Gingerman's) which cost £12.50 each on top of the room but was very good. All in all, a great base from which to explore Brighton.

You won't want to get out of the snuggletastic bed!

by TripAdvisor Member Rachel6

The beds are amazing! You can snuggle down for hours after all the fresh, sea air. Centrally located, Drakes is a comfortable, modern and friendly hotel. Food in the Gingerman restaurant is superb, the staff take great pride in the hotel and restaurant. It's £25 for 2 courses or £30 for 3 and the wine is very reasonable.
We stayed in the cheaper room with no view whatsoever but it didn't matter as it was so nice and comfortable. The wet room is fab too! Lots of white company goodies. I went with my boyfriend for one night on new years day and we came back to London fully recharged. Will definitely be going back!

Totally Fantastic

We have stayed in Brighton numerous times and this is by far the best hotel. The staff are all ultra efficient and attentive.

The room was amazing and the added extras like slippers and bathrobes were the icing on the cake.

With only 20 rooms you need to book well in advance to aviod disappointment but i would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be spolit.

Comments