King's Road, East Sussex, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 2FU, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 57% more and rated 12% lower than other 4 star hotels

• themajor's Profile Photo

ESTABLISHED 1883!

Like it's rival The Grand, the Metropole Hotel has shared the status of top Brighton hotel for many years now. But as with many large concerns it has had to turn increasingly to weddings, functions and the conference trade to keep things ticking over. As a result some people say that 'fading glory' is perhaps a more appropriate description of it's status than the old soubriquet of 'luxurious'. There was a time - when both hotels were not part of large chain groups - when you would feel slightly uneasy walking into either establishment for fear of being sneered at... but those days have long since passed. AS with all these older hotels there are plenty of impressive public rooms and a myriad of accommodation choices to choose from. As ever, one gets what one pays for...

You can dine at the hotel's Windsor Restaurant or enjoy lighter meals or sandwiches at their Metropole Lounge Gar or Bar 106. There is a pool spa and sauna within the hotel's health club and a number of treatments are on offer. Most notable is the 'eyelash tint'. I assume that is the whole eyelid group rather than a single eyelash! Anyway, as of June 2008, the tint can be had for £12 - and for £8 more they'll throw in your eyebrows!

Unique Quality: Splendid sea view - which you will probably pay extra for! Do check!!

Directions: From London and the M25, take the M23 to Brighton and then the A259 Seafront Road.
    Sat Nav Coordinates: Latitude: 50.8215. Longitude: -0.1473 will lead you almost on top of it! Well, within clear view anyway...

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

The Hilton

This is the Hilton Brighton Metropole, a very nice building for this hotel just by the sea. I often go to Hilton when possible, but not this time. However, the Hilton offers here a real sauna for those who miss it when away from home.

• Dick33's Profile Photo

Nice hotel not so nice staff

Our room wasn't huge like the holiday inn but it was very nice.
    The only problem we encountered was in the bar, they had table service but I stood at the bar a Munchkin who was far to ugly for the lollypop guild snapped sit down I will serve you at your table, I don't know if the jam jar glasses or the pontoon eyes (one twists one sticks) that stopped him from seeing us but we waited and nobody came untill I kicked off.
    The service was ***!

Unique Quality: The Grand staircase is beautiful.

Directions: On the sea front close to the west pier

• weewatty's Profile Photo

Old School British Seaside Hotel.

A hotel from days gone by this one, excellent location right on the beech. Grand Lobby welcomes you in and the place has been modernised in a sympathetic way so as not to lose all of its character.

For a sea facing room you have to pay a premium so we did not bother, at the time of our visit the frontage of the hotel was partially scaffold covered anyway.

Our room was huge and contained the largest bed I have seen in a Hilton, it was mammoth. We had breakfast included in our stay and took it in the grand dining room, i am glad to report that the chef made excellent waffles which were promptly devoured by me!!

Unique Quality: In the basement there is a Health Club with a spa pool, its pretty small but nice all the same.

The location of the hotel is very good, just a few mins walk to the main shop,bar,resturant area.

The hotel was built in the by-gone days and many pictures depicting this time (turn of the 19th/20th centuries) are dotted around the corridors.

Directions: Kings Road runs right along the sea front, the Hilton Metropole is located at the derelict West Pier end.

More about Hilton Brighton Metropole

The second hotel I stayed in.

by a5floor about Hilton West Pier

In Brighton you have 2 hotels from Hilton: the Hilton Brighton West Pier and the Hilton Brighton Metropole. The West Pier is more further away from the centre than the Metropole is.
You can have a single, double or triple room.

Faxnumber: +44-(0)1273-775877.

Exceeded my expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Madeleine13

Wanted to say that the Hilton Brighton Metropole exceeded my expectations for a weekend stay. I'd got a very good deal on the internet for 3 single rooms - I went with my mother (who is 80) and my sister. The staff couldn't have been more helpful with every request we made. The rooms were better than I'd thought we'd get for the money, plenty of space and very clean. The breakfast was great and we had a superb dinner too. I would definitely stay there again - despite not being a big Hilton fan! The leisure facilities were a tremendous bonus.

What a dissapointment!

by TripAdvisor Member NorthLondonlad

we stayed at the Hilton Brighton Metropole over the weekend of Gay Pride Brighton, we booked a Sea view room.
The room was so small you couldn't swing a cat in it!

The bathroom was a disgrace.
The sink was cracked as were the tiles. There was mildew above the bathroom door.

The writing desk was all scratched and worn.
The windows hadn't been cleaned outside for a long time.

This Hotel does not deserve 5 stars.

We paid £175 per night, although after complaining they knocked £60 off the bill.
I think the Hotel management must know well that the room needs urgent attention.

The reason why we were not moved is because the Hotel was full, this was due to it been Brighton Gay pride weekend.

Good Location, Seaview, poor rooms

My Wife and 2 sons stayed at this hotel recently, 2 rooms were required and being the age that my sons are 12 and 17 all prices were for 4 adults.
We required 2 adjacent rooms with Sea Views, unfortunately there was a small room between us but then again the Hotel says it could not guarantee this. However both rooms were same price but not same size both are regarded as 'Deluxe' rooms. The small room is where 2 people can't walk by each other at the same time because of the small distance between the end of the bed and the beginning of the Dressing Table. So you can imagine
the distance between wall to wall. The other room was better where at least there was some floor space to walk around. After making a bit of fuss we were changed to a larger room on a different floor. This room had a SeaView and a balcony (bonus). The biggest problem I found with this hotel and especially for the price (£200 per room) is that the shower/bathrooms/toilets are of a very poor standard and looked like they have not been touched since the 1980's, i.e. cracked tiles,dirty grouting, sealants that look like chewing gum,ceilings that display maintenance hatches, poor paintwork and wooden panelling that has lost all it's varnish, extremley worn marble sinks,shower cubicle to small or no shower room at all..and that was in all 3 rooms we visited.
Considering the advancement in quality fittings for Toilets/Bathrooms there really is no excuse that these should not be updated.
On the other hand Staff were friendly and helpful, the Reception and Dining Room were well presented and obviously the location is right.

Good Value

This was our second visit to the metropole. First time we had a suite and this time a delux seafront room. We feel that this hotel offers excellent value for money considering its central and seafront location. It lacks the ambiance of its neighbour the Grand but more than makes up for that in value.

Fab Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member spur365

I will certainly never forget this stay in Brighton. I got a good price on the internet for this hotel (£114 a night) for a Hilton king deluxe room with sea view. The view from the balcony is just amazing. The room was very clean and large, also had a seaing area and table. Bathroom again superb which included nice toiletries and bath robes. Staff couldnt have been better. The only slight problem i had was the Sky News channel in the morning would freeze every now and again. I would certainly recommend this hotel and to pay the litter bit extra for the sea view.

Comments