139 - 141 Kings Rd, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 2NA, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Good location

Stayed here for one night having got a good deal from lastminute.com.

I usually stay at the Brighton Hotel which is two doors away but would not go back there having sampled the superior experience here. We had Room 120 which is first floor sea view, and advertised as a deluxe. It has 3 full length windows so you could lie in bed and look out to sea. The furniture and fittings were dated but everything seemed to be newly painted and was spotlessly clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly and there was a nice bar area in reception. Breakfast was fine- but you can’t have fruit and a cooked breakfast, just one or the other which I thought was a bit bizarre. The seafront road is very noisy so if you have a front room you will need earplugs – but of course this is not the hotel’s fault. Car parking on the road is free from 6pm until 9am, as long as you can get a space, so really no need to pay for a car park.

I wouldn’t hesitate in going back to this hotel in the future.

Directions: On seafront opposite derelict West Pier

More about Kings Hotel

great location, great service & very nice room

by TripAdvisor Member james12wilson

I stayed at The Kings Hotel, Brighton over Easter. Both my partner & I had a wonderful time at the hotel & in Brighton. The check-in was very efficient and we were directed to our room which had a sea view - well worth the money just for this.

On one of the nights we had dinner - the food and service were both very good. The chef even came into the restaurant to check we were ok.

Breakfast on both morning was just as expected - very nice.

If you are looking for a good quality sea-front hotel in Brighton that is not too expensive i would recommend the Kings.

Great find

by TripAdvisor Member tyler-hull

Stayed at the Kings Hotel for a couple of nights during the week. The location is good, just past the old pier so only a 15 minute walk into the clubland area, but far enough away not to be to noisy. The hotel has a good friendly vibe to it.
the room (double seaview) was good, had a 4 poster which was a nice touch. Breakfast was good.
took advantage of free health club offer which was in the lanes area so about 10 minutes to walk.
would defo stay again next time we come to brighton.
ps-very small car park but plenty of alternatives

good value

by TripAdvisor Member ElaineCheshire

We have just spent three nights at this hotel. We found the reception a little unsatisfactory as it was mostly unmanned and we always had to wait to get the key to our room. We were not told that breakfast wouldn't be until 8am (the card we were given said 7am except for weekend and bank holidays - it was neither). Our room was minute with little space to move around but as we didn't intend being in it for very long that wasn't an issue. It was clean and warm. The bathroom was very small but there was always nice hot water and the towels were lovely.
For a budget hotel it was fine and the situation is good.

Ok but could be better

by TripAdvisor Member Reeta

The hotel is 5 - 10 minutes away from the main city centre so thats not bad. Reception staff were helpful but when it came to serving drinks in the bar it was not being manned properly. To the point we were told the hot chocolate facilities were broken down (when in fact somebody had ordered it 2 hours ago). The waiting staff need to be trained properly. Having booked two additional rooms for our friends, we were all given a variety size of rooms which really did not justify how much we paid on Expedia with additonal tax on top for each night. The beds are not up to standard - shame about that as everything else was standard basic and ok. I would not reccomend if you suffer from a bad back.

excellent location, food, value and service

by TripAdvisor Member j12wso

We stayed at The Kings Hotel in Brighton last weekend.

All the staff were great especially the restaurant staff who could not do enough for us. On the Friday night we had dinner in pebbles restaurant. Althought it was not busy there was an atmosphere and the food was very good.

We were allocated a side room that had glimpses of the sea. It was very clean and had everything we needed including sky TV and a power shower.

The hotel is 5-10 minutes walk from the main shopping area.

Excellent - would certainly recommend.

Dirty, awful hotel!

My partner and I decided to have a weekend break in brighton (from Hampshire) and actually used this website to find a cheap hotel, in an excellent location with parking. After reading numerous reviews and finding out that the Oriental hotel that we had stayed in before was fully booked, we got an internet rate of £42 for a double room for a Friday night at this hotel- a good deal you would think.....

After arriving at 7pm and being told the car park was full we found a parking place and were met with the reception staff who could not have been more cold and unfriendly. It was not a good start to our "relaxing" weekend away.

On first impressions the room was OK. That is without the lights on and standing in the doorway! Once we were in we were met with a cold, damp smelling, dusty room in need of re-decoration and a very good CLEAN.

The carpets were very old, thin and stained. The window was grimey and had a terrible draft. The toilet was stained- enough said! And the bath/ shower were so dirty that we didn't even use them. The hairdryer was not working- thankfully I checked before washing my hair.

Only the location saved us from walking out.

After we went out for dinner that evening we decided to get a drink from the bar before bed, but the bar and reception were abandoned for the 10 minutes that we sat there waiting- despite constantly checking around for staff. Perhaps we were supposed to help ourselves?

The breakfast next morning was awful too. Bored, slow staff who "served" up tinned and microwaved to the plate food that was just totally tasteless.

All in all the only good point about the Kings Hotel are the fact that we paid under £50. Needless to say I filled out the customer review form in the room and promptly posted it off.

I would strongly advise anyone visiting Brighton to stay clear of the Kings Hotel unless of course, you are thinking of going into the cleaning industry in which case I'd recommend you go straight there!

What a let down!

For the money we paid the hotel just is'nt worth it.

The rooms are basic, the service is basic. The prices are not reflective of what you would expect to have. The internet site gives the impression of a class hotel, when in fact it is like staying in an Ikea store, very plastic and cheap. The bar is tiny and not as cosy as portrayed. The restaurant is like a Costa coffee house. Our room has pigeon poo all over the window sill, we were up most the night because the walls are so thin you here everything from snoring to people bathing! To cap it off you prepare your own toast using a toasters provided. For over £120 a night, I want someone to do that for me!

Not worth it if you want to spend your money on value.

OK

by TripAdvisor Member bigjobby

Stayed 1 Saturday night. Booked because of reasonable cost-£69 for room. Room was clean, breakfast was good and I encountered no problems. I got exactly what I paid for so I would have no problem in recommending this hotel which works out a lot cheaper than many of the Brighton b and bs that have fewer facilities.

fine for the money

by TripAdvisor Member donna11

Stayed at this hotel because it was the best priced deal available in brighton at the time we wanted to go. It was also 30secs from the Brighton Centre which is where the concert was that we had gone to see.
The room was clean, pleasant, basic but fine.
Breakfast was restricted (e.g 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon) but it was fine, the same standard as you can get anywhere.
The guy who worked at the bar there was friendly and it ws open still at 2am when we went to bed. The reception guy was ok, not over-the-top helpful but certainly not unhelpful.
I would rate this hotel average, and if I was to stay in Brighton again and get this hotel for a decent rate again, I would definitely stay here again. I'm glad I was not put off by some of the less glowing reviews on here, as the only other option would have been to spend alot more and stay somewhere else perhaps marginally better.

Comments