Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel Brighton
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

This hotel is awful. My room was in a very bad state of repair, with a hole in the ceiling in the bathroom around the light, a hole in the wall in the closet. I had trouble getting the window closed and figuring out how to lock the bedroom door. The desk had been cut so that you could close the bathroom door. Decor and carpets were very old.

I'd come back to my room each day to find the door unlocked (anyone could have walked in). I was not supplied with clean towels. Housekeeper just emptied the bin, made the bed and folded the towels. One evening I ran out of toilet paper and there was no one around to get more.

On check out I asked if I could leave my bags for the day and come back for them. They said yes, so I duly left them in reception. However, when I came back to collect them there was no one there. I banged on the door and rang the bell over and over and over - nothing! I tried to call them but the phone number was directed to another phone where there was only an answer machine message. I had no way of contacting anyone and had to be at the station within an hour. I kept banging on the door and phoning. But nothing. I requested help from adjacent hotels but they didn't know how to contact the owners.

In the end I had to call the police or I'd miss my train and be stranded. The police advised me to find another way in whilst they tried to find some other phone numbers for the owners. The back door was also locked. Whilst on hold with the police I found a basement door, which I managed to get open and eventually get up to reception to collect my bags. I then had a mad dash to the station where I arrived sweaty and flustered with just minutes to catch my train.

This was a nightmare experience and 45 mins of blind panic thinking I was going to be stranded.I also noticed a sign in the window when I left that said CLOSED. Closed? at 5pm in the afternoon? What kind of hotel is closed then?

This hotel is neither clean nor safe. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, despite some of the curiously positive reviews on this page.

• Tried to rob me twice on my credit card

I stayed at this hotel for three nights after booking the reservation online. Although the room's quality was way below advertised and we had problems getting hot water, we did not care very much because we were not spending many hours at the hotel.
    The real problem has come afterwards, when I have received for the second time an unjistified extra charge on my credit card that they have refused to discuss, to the point that VISA is aking me to cancel the card to avoid having the problem again.
    I strongly disrecommend any business with this hotel.

Directions: Harbour