35 Old Steine Rd, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1NT, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 33% more and rated 26% lower than other 3 star hotels

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Regency style seafront with a hint of FaultyTowers

Recently (March 08), the 'Handsome Man' spent one night in this regency style monster of a hotel...I say 'monster' because it is a huge (186 rooms) building belonging to a bygone era.

The 3 star hotel offers central seafront accomodation just opposite the Palace Pier, at reasonable prices and on receiving some hilarious text messages from HM giving me the run down on the room, ('child-sized' bed in a 'box-sized' room with its own mould, which boasted a large trouser press etc !), I decided to go and investigate for myself.

On my arrival, the HM had requested a better room and was upgraded to what he renamed 'the honeymoon suite' with tongue firmly lodged in cheek, for £10 extra. This new room apparently boasted a 'jacuzzi' to match the fabulous nylon bedspreads ; ) Note to cleaners - please hoover the edge of the stairs and rooms and not just the middle.

I am actually being a little mean here, because what I have failed to mention about the Royal Albion , is that the staff are efficient and friendly and the hotel is rather fun for a one night stay, in a somewhat retro/kitch kind of way.

The 'honeymoon suite' boasted large windows with a view of the sea and Palace Pier which opened up onto an enormous patio, which on a sunnier day could be good, although somewhat intrusive on other guests privacy. The twin beds (pushed together!) featured as I say some 1970s style nylon bedspreads and some extremely thin blankets, an onsuite with a giant old tub with promised jacuzzi (large bathtub with holes) and a few reasonable toiletries. (You may want to have a bath after having a bath though!) The loo handle was a puzzle which was eventually deciphered.

The enormous lobby and dining rooms are faded and jaded regency glam, which could, if someone invested in a few more plants etc look rather more splendid with a little more love and care. The decor was eccentricly outdated - little negro boys with various limbs missing and candelabras coming out of the top of their heads, to match the larger versions dangling from high ceilings may give you an idea!

The late night bar (friendly and helpful staff again) sees alot of hen and stag night revelry and there are pleasant and efficient security staff on the door at night.

Room service is offered and such 1970s delicacies as 'gammon steak with pineapple'. (not sure if they do 'chicken and chips in a basket, but they should!) The menu is not most suitable for vegetarians!

There are also meeting/conference facilities including the Britannia Suite which is 185 sq meters and....also offer 'wedding deals' ha ha I withold my thoughts on this, but if you both have a quirky sense of humour, it may be survivable ; )

Have taken a few photos, will upload soon.

Unique Quality: Eccentric retro madness, perfect for the open minded. Needs a good clean!
    Recommended for people on a tight budget or groups of friends who don't intend spending a lot of time in their room and just need a bed for the night, dont foregt your sense of humour ; )

Directions: Opposite the Palce Pier

• Dick33's Profile Photo

Victorian elegance

Our room overlooked the pier ( I took the photo from the pier) It was a small room but very clean and cosy.
    The food was good and the staff were very friendly

Unique Quality: Very big public rooms, very tall and still with a lot of Victorian elegance.

Directions: Opposite Brighton pier. Over the road from Kemp town or Camp town as I called it ( its the gay part of Brighton)

More about Royal Albion Hotel

Disappointed

Arrived at the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton and found that the Lobby staff were unhelpful. We were made to wait until gone 4 pm (a wait of over two hours) before we were allowed into our rooms. We were told that this was because our rooms were not ready even though other people were arriving and being given their keys. After several complaints we were told they were waiting for the house keeper to check our room was up to standard. When we eventually were given our room we found it well below any standard. Not only were they pokey but they were dirty. The bathroom was on a slope and had large gaps between floor and wall plus it was tiny. Even the mattress on our bed had a large cigerette burn in the centre of it. When we complained to the reception we were told that it didn't matter because they knew we hadn't done it. The noise at night kept us awake and then to top the stay off the breakfast was very mediocre. We would have had better in a local cafe. The good point was we only stayed one night.

RUINED MY WEDDING

I Booked a room for £125 for my wedding night, i asked my matron of honour at the wedding reception to call and ensure that there wasnt a too late check in time, when she called she was told that the room was not booked, to which i was devastated. My whole reception was taken up by my guests trying to book me another room somewhere else, we ended up paying £300 for a room in another hotel which was awful, and we reached it at 11pm and had to check out at 10am, so £300 for 11 hours.

Thanks Royal Albion. also the room was booked 3 months in advance, when i tried to argue the case with the manager they told me that they had mispelled my name by 1 letter.

Trouble @ The Albion

Having read the reviews of the Royal Albion after booking my Valentine weekend I was fearful of my stay there. On the plus side the location was excellent and the staff friendly, but that is where the positives stop. The major problem being the condition of the rooms, for a hundred pound a night you would at least expect the room to be clean and more than adequate. But in my case there was rubbish under the so call double bed (which was just two singles joined together with a set of blankets from the 70's), water damage on the walls, no sign of hovering, and room furniture that was dusty and in some cases broken. At night the room was cold and noisy, although it did look better in the dark. Overall this is a terrible hotel that adds nothing to Brighton, with the YMCA only over the road I would suggest that you checked there for a room first before booking at the Albion.

Shabby rooms and overpriced.

by TripAdvisor Member JulesLondon_England_

Payed a ridiculous price for the room we received and I am used to paying London prices! As has been said before there is nowhere to park so be prepared to walk quite a way with your luggage or pay a lot of money for the town centre car parks. The room we were given on the 4th floor was tiny and there was a constant banging from outside, it was a really windy day, but the noise was dreadful and we had asked to be moved. The second room was a considerable improvement on the first and bigger but still not worth the money my boyfriend paid to treat me for our anniversary. I don't think this was the surprised he had intended! Put it this way if you ?60 for a night then you may be happy with this hotel but when you are paying more than double that which we were you are sorely disappointed.

Loved it!

We paid ?87 a night for a double room, with a jacuzzi, balcony and sea views. Found hotel very clean, and staff could not do enough to help us out. Was wary because had read the reviews on here, but I found none of the aforementioned problems. There is no parking, but you can park on the sea front for ?2.50 for 24 hours. Hotel is great location - opposite the pier, and near lots of bars and restaurants and the conference centre. Would definately go again and would definately recommend it to anyone thinking of going there. Think there are some very snobbish people writing reviews on this site, with out of this world expectations!!

Avoid at all costs!

If there are, say, 500 Hotels in Brighton, only stay at this one if the other 499 are full. And, even then, if they offer you room 404 and claim it is indeed a "double w/seaview", or "an upgrade", or an "executive" room, refuse to pay anything more than base rate with a discount.

We paid over 100GBP for an "upgrade room" on a Saturday night and were given 404. Aftern nearly breaking a leg on the frayed carpet outside the room (my fault, I was admiring the bare wires sticking out of the ceiling and missed the hole in the carpet), we found the room small, hot (no AC and sticking windows), no spabath (as claimed) and the sea-view was only visible if you leaned over the TV.

The hotel is badly cleaned with dust and rubbish under the bed and furniture and windows so dirty you can barely see through them. The bar is expensive and the quality of drinks poor (avoid the "house" scotch as it is like water) and the food is indifferent.

If you want a drink on a Sunday night, go elsewhere as the bar is closed (management said, "The barman didn't turn up.") and, despite 5 separate requests over an hour to the Desk, you cannot get a drink from the Porter.

Individually the staff were trying (generally) to be helpful, but it was a lost cause.

In summary: the hotel is badly managed, dirty and overpriced. In a town with so much competition it is either a miracle, or a credit to the huge number of people that visit Brighton, that the place is still open.

Not very kid friendly

Booked a family room which was a good size but had steps down to it so
with a buggy it was really hard work . Lift is absolutely tiny and
takes up to 20 mins to arrive at breakfast time which is a joke . Our
bathroom had a grout stained sink which looked like a dried in
banana.....disgusting. Cups in room filthy and room had very tired
decor. Our room was to the front and one sliding window would not shut
so outside noise was bad and the kids found it hard to sleep
On a good note we did have dinner there and it was good as was breakfast but there was absolutely no kids menu which was bad .

Overall would not stay ever again as it thrives on its location only
and has not very much to offer for the £84 we paid,

Over priced SHAMBLES.........

Room was right next to the hotel night-club/bar, heavy music until 1.30 am, could hear the people talking right up against the wall in the club, let alone the music.

Cold tap in bathroom wasn't working, neither were two of the lamps in the room.

"Double" room was actually two singles shoved together, the bed clothes were of the lowest possible quality.

Breakfast was a shambles, no one knew where to let us sit, food was atrocious.

The receptionist made it seem like she was doing us a favour by saying she could reduce the room to £89, if she had said it was with so many problems, we would have slept under the pier all night, probably more comfortable.

Conclusion? Avoid at ALL costs, wherever possible.

by cullimar

hi has anybody stayed here, very mixed reviews on the web about this place. thanks in advance

Re: Royal Albion Hotel

by PontyLad

I've stayed here four times which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't happy with it. On two occasions we were upgraded to a room with a bath-spa/jacquzzi with sea view at no extra cost , this was mid-week at a quiet period though.

The room sizes vary and are a bit quirky ,but it's a period hotel and that is part of it's character some can be on the small side . All the rooms were clean .

There was a bit of noise in one room mainly due to nearness to the Pier and ambulance sirens but not enough to stop us sleeping !

The buffet breakfast had all the usual stuff from cereals to full British and was good.

We didn't eat there in the evening so cannot comment on this.

The staff are pleasant voluntarily offering the upgrade and quickly resolving one mix-up on the booking price.

The weekend prices escalate here but it's the same everywhere in Brighton for a mid-week stay in a sea-front hotel near all the attractions then I would say it fits the bill.

Comments