The Iron Duke Hotel

Tingo.com

Satisfaction Average

• BEVINUK's Profile Photo

A locals local

I put it in this as it is classed as a B n B but I go there to, well, drink, mainly!
    It's the best locals local in Brighton, friendly service by none other than Liverpudlian Bob and his partner.
    Full of old characters and "cheaper" beer than most of Brightons ale houses.

Unique Quality: The best bit is the back room, not sure if I should let you know about this bit!! It's become a hangout for us thirtysomethings who listen to top tunes and play pool...... FREE pool on Mondays and Wednesdays

Directions: Hove

More about Brighton

On the sea by the old PierOn the sea by the old Pier

Brighton Royal PavillionBrighton Royal Pavillion

Good enough to eat...but don't!Good enough to eat...but don't!

Roedean School - bleak houseRoedean School - bleak house

Brighton Move Update

by CanadaLad

Thank you for your replies to our question about pros and cons of Brighton. The positive response we got from some of you was a nice balance to the pressure to stay that is being placed on us by our families who, though they mean well, are actually succeeding only in making an already difficult decision even harder. My wife and I will be arriving in the UK on the 3rd of August and we kind of need to hit the ground running.

So, now that we've decided to move to Brighton, the only question that remains is where. I've been looking locations up on the internet but I'd really appreciate some input from actual residents. We need to live in walking distance from the train station, but not too near.

Any thoughts?

RE: Brighton Move Update

by biggeorge

Looks like Hove or seven dials then , both good areas , Hoves got better parking , seven dials smaller cheaper terraced houses. Mind you if don't mind trecking up a hill Kemp town's probably walking distance form Brighton station.

RE: Brighton Move Update

by amapola66

Yep , 7 Dials is wehre people tend to go for the commute.
We live in Hanover and my husband comutes.
It's close to town, the downs, walking distance to the sea
and 10 min walk to the station (there is also a bus).
Also you have two parks(the Level and Queens Park) and there is a good community spirit here.
I guess it depends what you want. The houses here are small with patio gardens.
Places in Hove have larger rooms.
Elm Grovw and Preston Park are also other popular spots.

Travel Tips for Brighton

My fondest memory of Brighton,...

by Prosperity

My fondest memory of Brighton, apart from the Lanes and Royal Pavillion, was this street painter, who had the idea of painting a beautiful big tree with birds on my arm. My hostmother got a shock, when I came 'home'. She thought it was a tatoo! That was funny.

Diversity

by USCgirlie

Brighton is a very diverse city, known for having the highest gay population in the UK. As such, it is important that tourists are at least knowledgeable of this fact! You will see clubs and pubs that cater to homosexuals. This diversity makes Brighton a very tolerant and accepting city.

A Night at the Dogs

by Mariajoy

A colleague is leaving - what can we do to make it a night to remember?? Someone had the great idea of Greyhound Racing!!!

I have never been before and this was a special package which included the coach hire for 30 odd workmates, dinner, 2 free drinks and a free bet on the dogs.

Any pre-conceived ideas I had about the type of people who go to The Dogs were quickly blown out of the window when we got there and I saw that there was a vast mix of young men and women, families, older couples, in fact a real cross section of society!!

Brighton and Hove Greyhound Stadium is open 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year! There are several bars, a fast food restaurant (plus waiter service tables too), and a childrens playground. Of course there is also a 515 m dog racing track with 6 traps. You can sit upstairs in warmth and comfort on cold days and chilly evenings watching the racing - but it is MUCH more fun downstairs, trackside where you can watch the dogs being walked past by their handlers. This is where the real afficionados of the sport seem to hang out.

By the bookies stands, there is a bronze statue of Ballyregan Bob - a famous Racing Greyhound who won 32 consecutive races from 1985-86. There is more about this amazing dog on this site:

The Dogs

There are also the bookmakers down on the track - but the minimum bet with them is 5GBP. Upstairs the minimum bet with Coral is 1pound. I had LOTs of 1pound bets and I came home in pocket - this is just a lure to encourage newbies to the sport to come back again!! - or maybe I just got lucky!!

Some advice - All the information you need about how to make your bets,a guide to betting on the Tote, types of bet etc , how to read your ticket and how to read the Formlines can be found on the INSIDE FRONT COVER of your racecard, it does help you to understand what's going on if you have never been dog racing before!

None of my friends or I had been dog racing before and I wasn't really sure how I felt about it - but the dogs were obviously well treated and seemed happy enough!

(Oh and here's a little tip!! - bet on the dog that has just done a pooh - 'cos he/she has got a better chance of winning!! (apparently!!!))

The scenic coastal road

by Elodie_Caroline

Usually from visiting the city Brighton we just carry on driving along the road that carries on around the coast. We go through some lovely little places, Rottingdean, Sandean, Lewes, Seaford, Newhaven and other little places before we head off towards London, or maybe Eastbourne, and then on home. On a Summer's evening It is fabulous just watching the sky changing colours in the late evening, from sky blue and pink, to purple and dark coral, and then finally to dark blue and finally on to the night.

Second hand books

by amapola66 about Various

"Antiques & Fleamarket in the heart of the North Laine in the city with up to 70 dealers stocking furniture,silver,pictures, collectibles,books and so much more with something for everyone"

You can find a large selction of second hand books here in Brighton. They are usually in very good condition and a fraction of the new price. So if you want a beach read to leave behind while on your travels without spending £10 or more, try these tips for a bargain.

The place I usually go for some holiday reading, is the antique and flea market in the North Laine. Apart from the fact it is in the funky North Laines, under cover and has piles of other stuff to look at, they have a pretty good quality second hand book stall. A great place for a rummage. Open Mon-Sat 10am-5:30pm; Sun 10am-4pm

Another good place in the North Laine, is the Oxfam secondhand bookstore.

(I will grab a photo when I next go) Books and second hand jewelry.
Retro stuff etc