Kings Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 26S, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Thistle Brighton

Pleasant surprise

I was worried after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. It was clean, relaxing and stylish. I would have expected breakfast to be included but will book direct next time and not throgh last minute .

Its worth every penny!

This place is one of Brighton's best kept secret. Rooms large and airy, if a little dated, but they are in the process of upgreading at the moment. The staff are all frendly and more than happy to help - charming managment.
Its great for the shops, pier and dining out. Breakfast **wow** massive selaction. Try this gaff!

Back to Brighton

I lived in Brighton for 10 years and returned to the US. After a 10 year absence, I returned to host my daughter's wedding. Fourteen people from the U.S. and various places in Europe were joining us for the occasion and I wanted them to be happy with their hotel. The Americans wanted to know if it was airconditioned, the Europeans wanted to know if it was noisy, etc.

I chose the Thistle for its convenient location just off the seafront on one side and The Lanes, on the other. We were within walking distance from the Pavillion (where the wedding was) and Fabrica in The Lanes (where the reception was.

Everyone was delighted although a couple of Americans had to change rooms because the airconditioning did not work, but once moved, were happy. The rooms are extremely quiet and the beds were comfortable. The two Concierges, Ken and Kiebel were invaluable, with their knowledge of the local restaurants and offered to make bookings and order taxis for us. Their suggestions for restaurants were excellent. They also suggested that we take the bus to Gatwick, rather than the train, and assisted getting the booking made and getting the luggage to the bus station for us. One happened to be on the bus (going on his holiday) to Gatwick and helped get my guests to the proper check in location, assisting them with their luggage as well. When offered a tip, he refused and simply suggested that we all return next year.

Just outside the hotel is the tourist information and they were very convient for souvenere shopping and helpful when booking day trips.

The only downside we all found was the breakfast. Every day for a week, it never changed and it was not good to begin with. When eggs were "special ordered" they were still terrible. Our poached eggs were swimming in vinegar. We had to beg for more than one cup of coffee. We also found it bad that after travelling for 10 hours and loosing a night's sleep they would not agree to a check in before 2pm. We arrived at 10 or 11 am and could not get into our rooms when we were desperate for sleep.

I would stay there again and I do recommend it as good value for money. Given the option I would not include the breakfast. There are plenty of cafes with GOOD breakfasts, cheaper, right on the doorstep.

Location is best thing about this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member thesujman

We stayed here at the Thistle from 17 - 19 June 2005. As previous reviews have said, the location of this hotel is near perfect. On the door step of the "Lanes", a few mins walk from the Pier etc.

My only problem with this hotel was the quality of the fixtures / fittings and overall "feel" of the rooms. For £99 per night, I got what I thought was a bargain compared to a rack rate of £250 per night and typical price of £125 per night.

Even accounting for the fact that Brighton is generally expensive for accommodation anyway, I cannot see how this establishment can justify a 4 star rating and charge anything above £50 per room per night, never mind £250 !

The corridors of the buildings are an awful dark red colour with peeling wallpaper, almost all the room doors I saw had some sort of "break in" damage and the lift that everyone else mentioned still isn't fixed.

The bathroom, although clean, feels somewhat shabby and the shower was just an attachment to the bath taps. Don’t know about anyone else but nothing short of a power shower is acceptable to me when staying at a hotel, especially when I pay £99 per night and they claim to be 4 star !

Also be warned, the vending machines are ridiculously expensive, buy your drinks / snacks outside the hotel.

Room didn’t come with breakfast and at £15 per person, you may was well walk out of the back entrance of the hotel for 23 seconds and come across about 10 places doing great breakfasts for less than a £5 per person.

Staff all seem fine, I didn’t have much reason to interact with them apart from checking in and out. Having read previous reviews, I didn’t bother to challenge them about the quality of the place so I don’t know how they would have responded.

So, if like me, you’d already booked a non refundable stay at the Thistle and are feeling less than great after reading a few poor reviews, I suggest that you don’t worry about it and enjoy your stay.

While there, scope out other places to stay for next time as I am sure you wont bother coming here again. I know I certainly wont.

Great location, great hotel

Stayed at this hotel for one night only in July of 2005. Perfect location to make the most out of Brighton, right on the seafront, almost adjacent to the pier.

This is a typical Thistle hotel. The rooms were clean and airy. We did not have a sea view from our room, but to be honest, that didn't matter! We were greeted by very friendly staff, and were pleased with the room.

Breakfast was excellent, with a choice of full english, cold meats, cheeses, yoghurts, fresh fruit and cereal, and all served in a restaurant overlooking the seafront!

Car parking for this hotel is £15 for 24 hours, which is quite steep, but worth it to know your car is safe!

All in all, a lovely little hotel, worth the money, but I am biased as we got an incredible deal...!

Faded 80s Glory. Needs Wholesale Refurbishment

The great shame about this hotel is how good it could be. Sadly, the peeling wallpaper, worn carpets, beige bathrooms and horribly unclean health club detract from the many positives.

On the plus side, the location is unbeatable: on the promenade, and near to the pier. The hotel backs onto the Lanes - I would agree with other reviewers that this is the place to go for breakfast. The hotel's atrium is stunning: very light during the day and wonderfully lit at night. We had a very good meal with complimentary wine in the restaurant.

Sadly, this hotel needs urgent and comprehensive refurbishment. The bedroom needed to be redecorated: the air conditioning was very noisy, and the bathroom was a hideous 1970s beige. The health club was appallingly dirty - there was mould growing about the shower in the male changing rooms. The pool is very small, and the whole area desparately needs a face lift. Otherwise, the hotel is dating, and is a shadow of its former self. A shame, because it could be superb.

Cracking good hotel

We have just got back from a crazy weekend in Brighton.

We chose the Thistle because I stayed with my boyfriend in February and had a fantastic stay together with the location, this time the cost did not matter as there was a number of us sharing rooms in our group.

We arrived to be greeted by what seemed to be an army of hosts, we were quickly checked in and invited to the Cocktail bar for drinks before we went out by the (plump) manager.

Our night was wild, and the hotel bar was excellent Raine and Pete are true stars serving us all night.

The rooms are clean and well equiped especially for girls, the breakfast selection was massive and plenty of it, the breakfast staff had large table set up for us so we could all sit together.

We loved this stay and will be back - thanks Mr Plump Manager (didnt get his name)

Horrendous

by TripAdvisor Member Jen66

If you are travelling to Brighton last minute, chances are this will be the only hotel showing availability - don't be tempted, sleep on the beach if you have to.
The hotel is shabby and in desperate need of refurbishment, at any one time at least half the lifts appear to be out of order. The room service food is dire, takes forever and will be delivered stone cold.
Brighton is the hen and stag capital of England - so any thoughts of a restful night can be completely written off as your sleep will constantly be interrupted by gangs of drunken men/women running up and down the corridoors - usually naked as part of a dare.
The hotel boasts a 4 star rating - 2 would be more accurate in my book. My room was dirty, musky and the carpets in the communal areas were filthy.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member Marsupites

Whether you will be happy with this hotel or not depends on what you want from the hotel during your stay and how much you pay. We wanted a good location, and that is what we got. -Go out of the hotel the front way and you're on the sea front; out the back you're in "The Lanes" where there are restaurants and shops. Location couldn't be better.

We paid £79 for a double room which we thought was great value. The room was large and well equipped -iron, ironing board, hairdryer, tea and coffee fridge etc. It was clean and comfortable. We did not find it noisy but we did not stay on a friday or Saturday night so there were no hen parties.

We did not eat in at all as there are many restaurants around the hotel and since the weather was beautiful we took the chance to eat outside even at breakfast.

We were pleased that the hotel had a car park as parking would have been a problem otherwise.

Yes the hotel needs refurbishing and perhaps if we had been staying longer than a couple of nights we might have had complaints but on the whole we were pleased with our choice for the money we paid.

I would recommend the hotel if you wanted a central location and did not intend being hotel bound.

not worth the money

I would agree with a number of other reviews concerning this hotel. It definitely does not deserve four stars.

We stayed for a weekend at £150 anight. For that money I expect a hotel to be pretty good ..... I was disappointed. The air conditioning was extremely noisy but very ineffective. The rooms were stuffy and hot. The decor was shabby and outdated. No minibar, no irons in the room, our remote control for the telly was missing and despite two phones calls still wasn't replaced.

The whole place looked run down and tatty. Wallpaper peeling off the walls, broken fixtures not repaired. Ceratinly not what I'd expect from a four star hotel.

On the plus side though ..... the staff were friendly and helpful (most of the time) and the location is brilliant

Comments