Umi Hotel Brighton

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Umi Hotel Brighton

Bella Belgrave!!

by TripAdvisor Member DanielRonfeld

We may have been entranced by the storms, we may have been enchanted by the views, the rooms or the sweet staff- but we loved it. Granted we chose it because it was raining like crazy and it was the first place we found, but what a gem! We stayed two days and a night and could have stayed a month. It was quiet and a bit of an old dame, no doubt a bit past her prime, but what in Brighton isn't? It is a great place and we will stay there next time we are in Brighton!

Lovely time

My partner and I went to Brighton for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. We booked a seaview room and it was wonderful. The location was spot-on, with all the shops and the town centre just a 10 minute walk away, and plenty places to eat out nearby. Our room was well kept, and although the bathroom was a bit on the small side, it was clean and looked newly refurbished. We had no problems whatsoever with our room, or the bathroom, and we had a great time. There was a variety of food for breakfast, including full english breakfast, cereals and fruit which was lovely. The only thing I would say is that, being on the seafront, there tends to be some noise from the passing traffic, but we had no problems with that either as we could often hear the waves on the beach. Our view was perfect, especially at sunset. We definitely recommend this hotel.

4 Star my arse

On arrival at the hotel I found that although my office had paid for my stay, the hotel said that they hadn't and that they required payment from me, After trying to get hold of my office, to no avail, they asked whether they could take an 'imprint' of my debit card - as i wasn't too solvent at the time, I voiced my concerns but i was told that no money would be taken out, it was just for security. Rubbish.

The 'imprint' was declined by the bank due to insufficient funds, but it still took away all the remaining balance, stopping me from taking any more money out. So i was stuck in Brighton with no money and nowhere to stay.

I was allowed to stay the first night and arrange for my office to pay the next day, but by this time I had already wasted an hour and a half, and it was now dark also. The receptionists were initially helpful but then the issue became too complicated for them, they simply said, i don't know what to do.

The rooms were not too bad, although my radiators looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in years, and bacmae very dusty when turned on. Bathroom was too small to swing a mouse, and seat was wonky due to not being able to sit on it properly unless you sat almost sideways.

I was visiting Brighton for a conference, and every other delegate that stayed at the Belgrave reported similar problems with credit cards and noise.

Although not the hotels fault, there were roadworks directly outside, making an already noisy room, even noisier. Added to that, the room above was either building flat pack furniture, or just hammering nails after midnight, meant that this was a crap place to try and sleep.

Stay anywhere else but here when you visit the lovely town on Brighton, I would recommend

What happened to the heating in off-Season?

Not only was there no heating in bedrooms on a cold March week (had to change room after 1st night of 2-night stay because of a) noise and b) felt bedsprings poking through on mattress) but no heating in common hallways either. Breakfast was good.

Mediocre

by TripAdvisor Member kenromford

If you search for the Belgrave on the net you'll find that some sites describe it as a 3* and some a 4*. We were expecting a 4*, which I would say it is not, but it is OK as a 3*. But at GBP369.00 for a double sea-view room for 3 nights B&B, booked well in advance over the net, it ain't cheap.

Plus points:
Huge room with a fabulous view. The double bed was giant-sized and extremely comfortable. Double-glazed windows keep out almost all street and beach noise (even at 3am when it appears that the beach parties are at their height!). Very good wardrobe, cupboard and drawer space. The room was very clean.

Mediocre:
The breakfast buffet had a varied selection, but the staff seemed to have a job keeping items of food and crockery (teacups, etc) replenished. The scrambled eggs were pretty tired one morning. Stair carpets and some paintwork are starting to look a bit tired. Reception, while nicely decorated, is small for a hotel of the Belgrave's pretensions. The rooms are supposed to have air-con, but the air-con unit was out of service. A sign in reception, which looked like it had been there for some time, stated that the air conditioning was "undergoing maintenance". On the other hand there was a 3-speed ceiling fan and management had provided an additional pedestal fan so it wasn't too bad. If you wanted any fresh air in the night, though, you had to trade that off against the added street and beach noise coming in through the open window.

Negative:
The TV and satellite remote controls were missing. The maintenance man came to replace them, and then never reappeared. I rang reception and was told that they were having difficulties in locating a compatible remote. That was on the Friday; No remote, apology or explanation appeared by the time we checked out on the Monday.
We were asked to pay the full sum of GBP369.00 on arrival. I find this surprising considering this is supposed to be a "posh" hotel.
Again, which doesn't fit in with it being a 4-star place, there are no porters, or "hotel facilities guides", or room service menus; although a sign on the empty room fridge promised room service, without a tariff you are straying into dangerous territory, and without a menu you don't know what to order!
The heated towel rail wasn't. It may have been turned off due to the lack of air-con, but with no on/off switch in the bathroom, "off" was the only option.

To sum up, this is a definite 3-star hotel with pretensions to being a 4-star hotel.

Belgrave Not A 4 Star At All! Was A Grave Mistake!

by TripAdvisor Member mophil

My partner and I booked a room at the Belgrave to celebrate 3 very special occasions. My partner's b-day is 4th August, Mine 5th August and we just had our civil partnership so this also was to be our honeymoon! I had booked far ahead knowing that Brighton Pride was also that weekend and explained why we were coming and was assured the best room possible was ours and they would make it a very special weekend! I called to re-confirm mid June and was told everything was ok. At check in, I was informed we had no room! I produced the printout from the internet and it had a confirmation number and the man said that it did not matter! But he could get us a room on the 2nd floor. Ok, the room was ok, but not as special as I requested! The sun shone in and the room was hot, but the air conditioning was not available! Well, we could deal with it! We had a nice sea view! Then early morning, around 2:15am our phone rang, no one there and then it rang again! We were awakened out of a lovely deep sleep so we called the desk. They suggested turning off the phone! No one knew we were staying there so it was not someone trying to reach us! We had our in room coffee/tea and cookies whilst watching the sea, NICE! We went out for breakfast and came back, housekeeping had made up our room but failed to refill the coffee tray, so I called the desk and was assured someone would be right up! After we spent the day at Pride, we came back in the evening and nothing was refilled! I went to the desk and about 15 minuets later, someone came with coffee for the next morning. Surprisingly, we found out that a breakfast should had been provided each morning. We were not told this upon arrival! So we cue'd up and then the hostess said we needed tickets! We had to go back to the front desk, then we had to cue again! Oh, the front desk made us feel like we were lying about not having been given tickets and made us feel uncomfortable! The breakfast was good though! We felt like 2nd class citizens our entire time! Problems were NOT remedied quickly or at all in some cases! I worked for 4 star hotels myself and none of this would had passed! Our special occasions felt not so special. The hotel itself is wonderful but it is only as good as the staff that runs it! I would give it 2 stars! I would stay again, but would have hopes the hotel is better run next time! The location is perfect!
Phil and Mo Batchelor

Rip Off

by TripAdvisor Member Numbty

Prices charged by this hotel are totally over the top. I felt completely ripped off when I arrived. I would expect to pay a third of what I was charged. There is no parking, local parking costs £8 per day which adds to the expense, this was not made clear when the booking was made.

Room decoration was dull and looked cheap. There was no alternative to the standard tea and coffee sachets such as herbal. The 'complimentary toiletries' left a lot to be desired. There was no remote control for the TV and the sound cound not be adjusted.

The hotel is located very close to the local nighclubs, a major point left out of the hotel description, noise continued throughout the night. The bathroom was small, taking a shower leaves most of it under water and there was little room for personal items.

This hotel is not recommended.

Reasonable Value But Left Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Bambino145

Got a last min booking for a family room for £89. We arrived and the room seemed to have been allocated to someone else as there was a lot of confusion.

Well located but the noise was terrible from the:

- traffic outside
- Drinkers leaving the Pubs
- Drinkers leaving the clubs
- Next door blokes making noise till 5.30am! - terrible and selfish

There were 2 x fold out beds for the kids which were okay but not worth of 4****

The bed was good as was the size of the room.

The bathroom was poorly decorated and amazing that it had been finished so poorly - as this gave it a dreadful look

£8 for parking was good value

Breakfast was okay

This hotel could be good!! However they need to bring in someone who can make a few changes to make it appear that they want to see visitors again and again.

After having to hear the next door revellers through till 5am we searched for a different hotel and regrettably the Hotel du Vin was fully booked. I would have taken a hit for £89 to leave a night early.

If you want a good value hotel close to all the action and are deaf or have ear plugs then this is the place for you.

However, if you value your break away from home and want to be looked after then don't stay here.

Sorry to bleat on but there we are!

Cheers

Good location, but NOT 4*

by TripAdvisor Member savvy911

We stayed here for two nights, Fri & Sat beginning of September. It was my husbands birthday so wanted a 'nice' hotel. We booked a 'superior' room capable of sleeping 4, which had 2 beds pushed together & made up as a double & 1 single bed. We had our teenager with us, so it worked out ok, but I'd like to know where the 4th person (if we'd had one!) would have slept.

Large room, seaview, double-glazed windows so no street noise. Air-con worked, there was also a ceiling fan if needed, in-room safe, fridge & basic tea/coffee facilities. Bathroom ok, poor complimentary toiletries, decor fairly bland. No room service that I was aware of or porters & you pay extra for breakfast (plenty of good places in Brighton).

This certainly doesn't live up to a 4* hotel, having travelled quite alot I'd put it on a level of 2*. Very expensive for what you get, having said all that we would stay again, purely for the convenient location.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dmon_unlimited

Got there and realised parking would be a problem. You do get a reduced rate if you let the staff know and they validate your ticket on the day of your departure. The room itself had a seaview and was very spacious. The TV had no remote control( quite annoying!) and the hair dryer was not working. Had to ask staff to bring one up everytime my girlfriend wanted to dry her hair. The staff were ok. I would recommend people to go there but mind he few drawbacks.... u can't win everytime!!1

BrightonBrighton

A CLOSE SHAVEA CLOSE SHAVE

Bring ample cushioning! We have pebbles!!Bring ample cushioning! We have pebbles!!

Union flag plate with Vespa logoUnion flag plate with Vespa logo

The best way from Heathrow Terminal to Brighton

by accor

I will travel to UK by plane. What is the best way to go to Brighton when I arrive at Heathrow airport? I have some luggage. What is the best way to go there? By train or couch?
Can you give me some suggestion and information about where I must go? And how much it cost (where can I see that in Internet)? Where are the station in London? How is the bus in Brighton? It is easy catch a bus the hotel? I hope you can help me with the best suggestions. Thank you!

The best way from Heathrow Terminal to Brighton

Hi,
There are coaches that leave every hour from Heathrow to Brighton. A return ticket is about £25. The central bus station is easy to get to from terminal, you can use a airport trolley to help with the luggage. Have a look at www.gobycoach.com for the coach times and prices. You can buy a coach ticket at Heathrow.
Jackie

Re: The best way from Heathrow Terminal to Bright

by mabu

hi, here some links:
for coach times and prices:
www.gobycoach.com
for train timetables:
www.rail.co.uk
for train prices:
www.thetrainline.com

if you go by train you will probably have to change the train.

have a good time!
mabü

: The best way from Heathrow Terminal to Brighton

by leffe3

Coach/bus direct form the airport is the best option if you have luggage (a train would take you into Paddington station in London - you would then ened to cross the city to get to Victoria station to catch a train to Brighton - no fun if you have luggage!). Not having done this journey, I do not know but possibly a cheaper option than the direct bus is to take the shuttle between Heathrow and Gatwick airport and then take a local train from Gatwick Airport station to Brighton. A thought.

Re: : The best way to Brighton

by robine

If it's possible and not too late, your best bet would be to fly into Gatwick rather than Heathrow - it's practically there!

The best way from Gatwich

by accor

Hi Thanks for the information. Someone tell to me that Gatwich airport is better to go to Brighton. Can you tell me what is the best way to get Brighton? How much is the fare?
Bye

Re: The best way from Gatwich

Hi,
You can get a coach from either Gatwick terminal to Brighton. It takes 45 mins and the cost is about £8.00
I'm sure there are also trains, but I'm not sure of the details.
Jackie

Re: Re: The best way from Gatwich

by Jacksprat

PS it is £8 for a Return ticket. A single ticket costs £5 and there is a coach every hour...

Re: The best way from Gatwich

by robine

There are very frequent (every 20 minutes or so), direct rail services: the journey takes about half an hour. Try http://212.87.65.227/bin/newquery.exe/en
Don't know what the fare is, but it can't be much for such a short journey.

Comments