Apollo Guest House

25 Cambridge Gardens, Hastings, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

• “Beware scaffolding, no breakfast & owner nowhere

Beware - when i arrived was horrified to see ugly scaffolding all over front of hotel. No mention of this was made when i booked. The picture on the web makes it out to be a palace, in fact it was shabby and old/ugly. Beware if you are staying midweek or you will have builders peering into your rooms and a whole load of noise nuisance. The owner after you check in is nowhere to be seen on the premises, and only appears the following morning to open up for business. So if there was a fire what would happen? especially if there were children or older pensioners staying there?. There was no breakfast considering the amount of cash i paid to stay there. The only plus side was the clean room , but weighing up the risks - i'd go elsewhere and look for somewhere safer. Very dissapointing. If you have a disabilty or wheelchair forget it - this place does not cater for special needs. There is no lift.
    **Please note this is not fabricated or made up - it's the truth from a very honest person.**

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

• They left us out in the cold and then charged us!

It pains me to write ill of anyone, but I comfort myself with the understanding that my experience with this hotel may be replicated with someone else if I do not share my story. The hotel asks you to denote a time when you will arrive, as they do not have full time staff and if you are late they warn you that you may have to wait. We got there within ten minutes of our predetermined arrival time. No one was there. We waited, went to the Dominoes next door, and called, returned, waited outside the door, returned to Dominoes called, etc. for over two hours. When it became apparent that we were not going to be getting into our room and that it was getting very late we left to find another place. As it was high season all of the places we passed were booked. We, two women, walked for over an hour through an unfamiliar city at night because we had been left out in the cold. When we tried to figure out what happened the following day we were told that the manger had been out to dinner during that time and the neighbors reported us not getting there until after nine and therefore we did not deserve a refund in their eyes. We were there at 7! We have gone back and forth with them (we writing letters and they responded with prewritten letters about their cancellation policies). In the end we are charged the full amount for of the worst experiences we have ever had traveling. Beware the Apollo House. That night we ended up at the Grand Hotel and I highly recommend that place. IT saved us!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Nice, low-fare B&B

For people with US$s or Euros, Accomodation in Britain is expensive. Hastings is no exception and as a popular holiday destination in Britain, prices are not expected to be the lowest. That was one of the reasons why I chose Appollo guesthouse for my stay in Hastings, not really expecting very much. I arrived late in the afternoon and was welcomed by Jim who runs this guesthouse with his wife. He showed me my room and gave me some useful information for my stay.

Jim and family were doing everything to make everyone feel well in the guesthouse. They tried to help you with any questions and gave you the feeling of being a "special" guest.

The price starts from 23,00 pounds per person, depending on the type of room and the season. Compared to other B&Bs in Hastings, this is one of the least expensive accomodations in Hastings. Combine that with a location close to the train station and the friendly service and you have an offer which is hard to beat.

Unique Quality: I booked a single room and got a twin room for me alone. The room had some extras like facilities for making tea and coffee (with free tea bags and coffe powder in the room) and TV.

Toilets and showers were close to the room, but some rooms also have an en-suite bathroom. A sink and a mirror are also available in the room. If you want to go to the toilet or take a shower, don't forget to take your room key with you as the room door closes easily and you will be locked out.

The breakfast is served in the dinign room in the basement. It is for free, but you have a wide choice which ranges from traditional english breakfast to fruit juice and cereals. If you are into british celebrities and gossip, there are many magazines you would like to read in the dining room. But they also have some locals newspapers and other magazines. Perhaps the only disturbing thing was that almost everything in the house was pink.

By the way, this B&B was not named (or just indirectly) by the greek god of music and poetry, but by the NASA Apollo missions. In the breakfast room, you will find many pictures from this program on the wall.

Directions: Just a short walk away from the train station. After leaving station approach, turn right. Cambridge Gardens is the second street on the left hand side. The guesthouse is one of the first buildings on the left hand side of this street.

Comments