London Road, Offham, Lewes, United Kingdom

Lewes Castle & GardensLewes Castle & Gardens

Ruth with South Downs in the distanceRuth with South Downs in the distance

Christmas in Lewes

by MFrancis

My husband and I will be staying with his family in Uckfield over the Christmas holiday. What Christmas events, etc are occurring during the period from the 17th to the 29th? I am looking for plays, caroling or any other traditional event. He is British whilst I'm America.

Thanks!

Re: Christmas in Lewes

by Mariajoy

This site might have some info for you.... or you could try Lewes Tourist Information Office

Hope you have a lovely visit...it's a nice town.

Maria

Re: Christmas in Lewes

by AdamPinkworth

Have a look at the "What's On" page of the District Council for December. It's at...

Also have a look at...

http://www.paddock.ods.org which is our Residents Association website, with loads of local links. I hope you find it interesting/useful.

Have a great holiday.
Best wishes,
Adam

by themajor

Take a peek at the Bluebell Railway site. It's one of the UK's most popular preservation societies and it provides regular vintage steam train services along it's private stretch of track. During the December run up to Christmas it runs evening dinner trains using it's Pullman coaches. Although I've never eaten on them I do occasionally join the carol singers that serenade to the guests when they stop at Horsted Keynes Station. Very atmospheric - just the steam train and ourselves in the middle of the countryside. It's no more than 30 minutes drive from Lewes...

by themajor

...Whoops! A year too late!! Blast it!!!

by Mariajoy

Almost as good as the train service Nick!!

Travel Tips for Lewes

Small Train

by herzog63

Somewhere outside Lewis there is a small train that offers rides on the old style trains! Looked interesting but I didn't go on it and I don't really know a whole lot about it. I think it's historical. I saw it on one of my long walks.

The Paddock, Lewes, East Sussex, England

by AdamPinkworth

"The heart of Lewes"

This is where we live - a narrow street beneath the Castle by the Paddock in the heart of Lewes, county town of East Sussex, near the coast in the South East of England. It's a very beautiful and special place. We formed the Paddock Residents Association in January 2004 to preserve, protect and improve the environment of Paddock Road and its immediate surroundings. Visit our website at www.paddock.ods.org for more info.

"Where are we?"

Paddock Road, which leads into Paddock Lane, is a very old and narrow one-way street right in the heart of Lewes. It's in the Conservation Area. It connects the Offham Road to the High Street, passing beneath the Castle and beside the Paddock, a unique and beautiful piece of land which to this day has remained unspoilt by development. It is a route favoured by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders (and sadly motorists).

Starting at its eastern end, the Paddock contains a children's playground, a sports ground used by local schools, several allotments, a paddock with horses, and Baxter's Field, formerly a private sports ground and now the property of a charitable trust which has opened the field to the community. Currently, the children's playground is a building site, where Southern Water is installing a new sewer to combat Lewes' perennial flood problem.

There are terraced cottages up one side of Paddock Road, facing the allotments, and then a terrace of town houses on one side of Paddock Lane, facing the paddock - about 50 households in total.

Paddock Lane also contains the Paddock Art Studios, where for many decades artists have come to draw, paint and attend classes, and a rear entrance to Lewes Old Grammar School.

A steep twitten (footpath) links Paddock Lane to Westgate Street, the Castle and further paths into the Town Centre.

"Baxter's Field"

Baxter's Field is part of the Paddock, and has its entrance at the top end of Paddock Lane. It is bounded by The Avenue to the north, Bradford Road to the south-west, Wycherley's paddock to the east, and Paddock Lane to the south-east. It is the former sports ground of Baxters, the old Lewes printers, taken over some years ago by Fulmar plc.

The Baxter's Field Company was formed to act as a vehicle to both purchase and participate in the general upkeep and maintenance of Baxter's Field, together with fundraising and other such events and activities that will benefit the field for the people of Lewes.

The company was incorporated on the 1st of October 2003 based upon the original concept of The Baxter's Field Trust, which acted on an informal basis, until such time that the field became available for sale. After a public meeting, held in Lewes on the 10th of September 2003 , and subsequent soundings, a bid value of £78,000 was drawn up and submitted to Clifford Dann (agents for the vendor Fulmar plc) on the final date. This bid was formed on the basis of pledges received from many people who either live in the vicinity of the field or who have had a long-term interest in it.

After a period of nail-biting anticipation the company was informed that its bid had been successful and contracts were exchanged on the 6th November 2003 with completion on 22nd December 2003.

Now, after lots of hard work cleaning up the field, cutting the grass, making the trees safe and fencing off the old burnt-out pavilion, it is open to the public!

DF Lewes

Oh will you
And make you think
Like I know how it feels

Could I be so cruel?
Yeah well love don't come easy
Well I love you when you do

I made it through
The days that could end us
And oh will you
Let me know how it feels

And speak of love so true
Oh well I know you don't mean it
Still, I love you when you do

And you know
There is nothing worth believing
It's some boy who's only answering his bones
Yeah, and don't I just know it

So don't tell me

Oh will you
And I'll make you think
Like I know how it feels

Could I be so cruel?
Yeah, well love don't come easy
Well I love you when you do

Oh, you know
There is nothing worth believing
It's some girl who's only answering her bones
Oh don't you know it

So don't tell me
How I'm wrong
And don't tell me
'Cos I already know
I run this tank empty

Know how it feels

State Of The Union

Sweet dreams all met with derision
This train, it was armed for collision
It's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame

Clap your hands in the sparkle and glitter
Shake your heads at the twisted and bitter
Oh they don't know how lucky they are

Foot down for the alienation
Look on as your love, its gets lost in translation
To a language that nobody understands

There are smiles as they erode and corrupt you
Of the great expectations you could never live up to
We are lost, we are lost, we are lost

get you coat, 'cos the righteous are leaving
'Cos they can't work out what the hell to believe in
It's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame

No abandon, no heartfelt desire
No love could be worth getting fired
For real, it's surreal, it's so real

So paint over the cracks and then cover
What you thought was the worst ever pain with another
And the first one, it always comes free

How they love you so cold and so vicious
With friends like these, well who needs politicians
The first one, its always comes free
They tell you heroin takes like ice cream

Clever men know all that and all this
And they will talk and they talk and the don't ***ing listen
It's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame

It's no life but God, it's a living
Come on Jesus Christ, come back all is forgiven
We are lost, we are lost, we are lost

Have no fear of the state of the nation
Let the facts have no bearing on public relations
It's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame

What a model of Christian behaviour
Preach on with the message of "go *** thy neighbour"
it's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame
it's a shame, it's a shame

Watch your step by the crowd of fanatics
While they kill in the name of applied mathematics
Hate the system even though you invented it
Go kill your brothers and claim self defence of it
Picking up all the secrets and tricks to being
One of the guys whom the *** never sticks to
Take you seats for the final calamity
Don't you look serious, hell, what can the matter be?
Another day and the rot's getting faster
And all the machines started killing the master

it's a shame, it's a shame, it's a shame