New Lydd Road, Camber Sands, near Rye, Rye, TN31 7RL, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• never again

Booked an end of season holiday for myself and my two children aged 2 and 3. First of all pontins phoned me and asked me to change the date as they would be closed on the week we had chosen. They gave us a free upgrade to Club class accomodation.
    On arrival at reception, it took the member of staff 15minutes to find my apartment key and find out if the apartment was ready. It was nearly 3pm before we checked in, instead of 2pm.
    On arrival at the apartment, I was very pleasantly suprised. It was clean and tidy. Laminate floor throughout and very spacious. The television was an old style tv, which was not at all digital as advertised. I could only recieve 3other channels on mine.
    After unpacking I took the children swimming. The pool was freezing! It was so cold that my daughters lips turned blue and the follwing morning I woke up with a bad throat after being in the pool. In the pool changing room there were strange mushrooms growing out of the wall.
    The entertainment was rubbish and I did complain to the management, who seem uninterested and just told me it was end of season so some of the activities were not on. To be honest its not my problem if its end of season or not. I spoke to another guest who had paid £250 for his holiday!
    Over all I feel very disappointed.
    I came to pontins 10years ago and it was amazing! Blue coat shows every night and loads to do. Not this time. There was not a blue coat in sight.
    I will be writing to pontins about this terrible holiday. We go home tomorrow and I cannot wait.
    Don't waste your money on Camber.

Unique Quality: No entertainment
    Mysterious mushrooms growing out of the walls

More about Pontin's Camber Sands Centre

Good value, basic

by TripAdvisor Member shbt1985

We booked our accomadation 3 days before the Bank holiday weekend, as a last minute plan. We didn't expect anything fantastic. 5 adults went and a 3 yr old, It was brilliant value for money for 2 nights. We had the middle range room, which was clean and well kept. We didn't actually use any of the facilities, just as somewhere to sleep. But the site could do with being a little updated. It was very busy but it was Aug bank holiday weekend.

The beach at camber was fantasic lovely sandy beaches great for kids. With Rye just down the road which is a lovely town, and Hastings a short drive away. It was an ideal spot to stay.

Not as bad as we thought!!

by TripAdvisor Member Smoo22

Have just returned from Pontins Camber Sands having spent the bank holiday weekend there with family. Booked before reading the trip advisor reviews and Oh My God!! How scared were we!.
However was plesantly suprised ,although the accommodation does look like little blocks of council flats inside was clean although basic ,but what can you expect for £120 for six people for 2 nights. Was a little concerned that my husband wouldn't fit in as he doesn't own any union Jack shorts, hasn't got a skin head or a British bulldog tattoo but nobody seemed to notice!

Unfortunately cannot comment on any of the amenities of the site itself as we only used the accomodation as a place to rest our heads at night. Camber itself has a beautiful clean beach which is only a 5 min walk from the Pontins site, and a short drive away are Rye and Hastings.

One down side is that they do allow same sex parties, so lots of drunken swearing about 2am when the pubs/entertainment venues close.

I would reccommend Camber if you are looking for a cheap getaway/seaside weekend if I had paid more I would have not enjoyed it as much but what can you expect for £10 per person per nignt.

Don't Go

by TripAdvisor Member jg34

Don't be fooled by the £9.50 Sun Holidays - there is a reason they fill with place up with them - no one else will pay!

As you drive in it resembles a prison camp. The car parking is miles away from check in areas. Check in is like the worst airport delay in the world where you are all left in a large area with no information whatsoever.

The bars have all seen far better days - ripped seats - dirty windows - filthy carpets - a terrible smell of old chip fat lurking in every single one of them. All very hot and stuffy as well which doesn't help add to the unpleasant smells that have lost the cover of nicotine.

The rooms (hovels) are rotten - the carpets again are about 30 years past their best - the curtains and bedding are stained beyond belief (and the curtains do not even fit the windows) and I am still traumatised by the bathroom - especially the so called frosted window.

After saying here I can see there is a good reason why people choose not to holiday in the UK.

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member CurtChav

My lovely girlfriend and I were treated to a weekend away after some hard work we did decorating a relatives house. We could have had a really nice meal out but instead we opted for a full weekend away. Our first impressions were, well, its cheap, what do you expect for only a tenner a night.

My relations fitted in quite well and even managed to converse with some of the locals who go there regulalry. I couldnt quite understand some of the grunting and hand gestures that went on myself but im sure its very effective.

The rooms were basic but clean, although the mother-in-law still decided the wipe the place clean with sterile wipes and the beds very comfortable. The local restaurants are a little to be desired, fish and chops basically, so we came prepared and bought beer, wine and an onion.

Over all the place is great for a cheap place to crash. I just wish we went 'all inclusive'.

If your a chav like us your gonna love it!!!!!

Prison or holiday site?

by TripAdvisor Member shel84

I don't really know where to start, the whole place really should be knocked down and rebuilt. Our room was awful, the curtains were mouldy and the condensation made our pillows and bedding damp. The rooms were freezing at night and the heaters were hardly worth using as they weren't very hot and stank of burning dust.
The "entertainment" was horrific! far too loud and not very entertaining! The bluecoats speak to everyone like they are talking to a small child.... nausiating.
We only paid a fraction of what most people paid as we got a Sun deal, I wish we hadn't bothered, 3 of our party came home with flu from sleeping in the basic accomodation which really was a dirty, cold hole.

Worse than the worse place you have stayed!

by TripAdvisor Member rosieb281

We booked a 4 night stay and managed 1 night - that I might add only because we took our baby and had already put him to sleep!

The whole place looks like a prison camp and needs knocking down. Council flats are luxury next to this.

The whole apartment stinks of dust and cigerrettes, old nicotine stained walls, ceilings. The sofa bed was sticky and to open it out you have to endure the worst possible test - have you seen the 'I'm a celebrity' thingy where they put there hands in a whole and there can be anything in there?!?

The shower room was fully of mould and the shower tray blocked and brown stuff started coming back up... only one of us hhad a shower so we had to go home so the rest of the family could get clean!

You daren't take your shoes off, the carpeted floor is full of chewing gum and goodness knows what else and the kitchen/bathroom floors look like a spit and sawdust bar.

The worst place we have ever stayed and we have been to some dives. We would gladly put up with the cockroaches we endured in the canaries rather than this hovel.

The so called restaurant is reached through the amusement arcade and looks like a dingey basement, and smells like one too, can't comment on the food however as we walked in and walked straight back out.

Its such a shame because Camber sands is a beautiful beach and area, there are some really lovely looking places to stay... Pontins isn't one of them its an eyesore and its about time the council made them do something about it (apparently the council own the land and allow them to rent it!)

Basic, Cheap but Fun

by TripAdvisor Member mackie14

We are used to going away abroad and staying in 2 - 4* accomodation ratings and we go camping so we see quite a lot of different resorts and campsites and holiday parks - but for New Year we wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful for 15 of us and thats what we got.

Im not really one for picking faults any where we travel, as long as its clean and a bed at the end of the night, its what you make of it - but I thought I would do a thorough report for Trip advisor.

Dont get me wrong, Pontins, Camber Sands has its faults, but I am sorry in some cases you really have to look for them.

Upon Arrival - it looks ok, bit run down but we expected that, the park itself was clean and the arrival at the gate was quick and efficent and although we booked budget accomodation so check in was at 4pm, we were told the rooms were ready and collect our keys (about 2.30pm) which I must say for the New Year break was very good - it took us about 5 mins.

The parking was a walk from the chalet, but hey, its like that in most holiday parks and campsites, so we simply stopped on the road, quickly un loaded the car, found a spot and then took stuff into the Chalet - Simple !!!

The Chalet (budget) - quite suprised actually - ok, bathroom in need of re-decoration, but it was clean and I am not the sort of person who goes looking behind U bends to see if its clean so to the visual eye it was fine !!
Comfy quilts and beds, kitchen was very clean, pans a bit out dated but hey they done the job, plenty of utensils, Fridge worked, cooker looked new and floor was clean.
The main living area was ok, clean and fitted 6 of us adults in no problem for a drink. Ok there was a bit of condensation and curtains needed updating - but its just not the sort of thing we tend to notice or bother about - we were one of the lucky ones - it was cold and our heaters worked very well, even to the point I kicked my covers off the first night !!
The Carpet was a bit worn but just take slippers or something.
from other reviews we were expecting spit and saw dust and we were pleasently suprised - Not the Hilton but hey I have stayed in worse hotels rooms in London and up and down the country

The entertainment venues - Prices for drinks were about what we pay in town for a night out which did not worry us, entertainment, again, its what you make of it, the first night was so bad the 15 of us found it hilarious - as for saying it smelt and the carpets were bad blah blah blah - I did not notice, it was dark, full of people and we were there for a good time. New Years Eve, the blue coats and the entertainment gave us a great night to remember.

Food - not much choice and it took a long time but what was there was was not expensive and was actually quite tasty - we took are own food too so did not need to eat out much

Shop - very well stocked and good prices for an on site park shop.

Staff and Blue coats all very friendly

Its not a romantic getaway and I certainly would not go for peace and quiet

Overall we had a good time, and we are in the minds that its what you make of it, yes its in need of a re vamp, and the chalets could look better but just go with an open view and you never know, you might even enjoy yourselves.

We going back in Feb for the 48 Party !!

This Place ss a Dive

by TripAdvisor Member Fizzybutterfly

DO NOT GO.
I even wrote a letter of complaint about how disgusting this place was. It had a nappy left in the bathroom. Exposed screws which my 1 year old cut his hands on. And all the blue badge spaces were used by non disabled cars, which no one policed. After 6 weeks I did recieve a full refund however it really isn't about the money. This place is advertised as a family place !!!! It was dirty, unsafe and I wouldn't even book in to take my dog agin. I would rather camp in a field with no amienities. It would be cleaner and safer for my children. The worst holiday I have ever been on. Complain and keep complaining. I intend on reporting them t health and safety. The only positive was that the Blue coats adn other staff really did try to make it enjoyable for people however the appauling state of the place left them little to work with. ! shower at the swimmingpool that didn't work....how were people..you know what I could go on and on....

sunday night was fight night

by TripAdvisor Member trixieessex

i went with my family for a two week hoilday. he best bit was chucking water over my husband for kieth chegwin.the blue coats were great the kids loved tom.there was two fights outside my accomadtion which i was not involed inboth happend on a sunday night i woke up to blood on my door not good for a cihiildrens hoilday the appartment was dirty and i got a reclean

Hated Every Moment - Do Not Go - You Must Read This

by TripAdvisor Member holiman

We thought we had a bargain with the sun holidays and have been to many other locations ( NOT PONTINS ) and thought it should be ok.

How wrong we were !

The apartments were a mess beyond belief - DUST - UNCLEAN SHEETS ( that you paid to hire ).. the worst kind of waste you could imagine found outside.

The site is using Polish cleaning staff that obviously are not cleaning but getting drunk every night and causing trouble.

the site has so many staff and cleaners that they put them in the same areas as the PAYING !! guests and this causes a problem.

and their behaviour leaves a little to be desired.

SO COMPLAIN ..

We managed to get a refund from the site however this does not compensate the week vacation we lost from our year !

Please do not go to this site !

take a local B&B if you want to or one of the other company's that do this kind of vacation. the area is ok when your out for the day.

the camp also BTW does not cater entertainment wise for the under 11's. and the ( what we would call food in the resturant, stops at 6PM.)

again-- DO NOT GO !!