The Mermaid

Booking.com Priceline.com

More about The Mermaid

Mermaid Inn, Rye

by hayward68 about Mermaid Inn, Rye

A place frequented by smuggers in the past. I loved the fact that it says it was rebuilt in 1420 and is still going strong. The original building on the premises was founded in the 11th century.
The Mermaid Inn is a very character filled building with a huge fireplace in the pub area. I had to walk into the fireplace to get to my seat, that's how big it was.
There's a restaurant and a bar but the restaurant was a bit pricey.
Accommodation is also available though you'll be paying a pretty penny for the pleasure of staying in one of their four poster beds. We only stopped in for a few pints so I can't tell you whether the food's any good. But judging from the prices on the menu, I imagine the quality of the food is quite high.

Overpriced and poor rooms but restaurant good

by TripAdvisor Member WorldTraveller2000

A tale of two experiences this one. The restaurant is very nice, with excellent food particularly on Sundays. The bar is convivial at all times (though I would go in winter not summer).

The hotel guestrooms however is overpriced and not very nice. The rooms are badly furnished with old, out-dated bathrooms. No-one expects them to be large in such an old property, but old property doesn't mean they need to be badly decorated. And the prices are ludicrous - this kind of hotel in France would be about a third of the price. What is it about Britsh hoteliers that make them think they can get away with this sort of thing.

I can't recommend it.

An expensive historic Inn experience

by TripAdvisor Member MarJC

My husband, 2 children and I recently stayed at the Mermaid Inn.

Having read the other reviews, I would have to agree on several counts. It is very expensive for what it is. We stayed on the same trip at a castle that was less expensive, more luxurious and just as historically interesting.

We did like the old smugglers Inn qualities and accompanying low ceilings and uneven floors. It could definitely use some new carpets and they can get rid of the plastic flowers.

We ate in the restaurant and our meal was very good.

Overall, the town of Rye is the quintessential Medieval town which we loved. The Inn became part of our overall experience. At a steep price however.

Mostly pleased

by TripAdvisor Member V&J2003

We stayed for one night in one of the slightly cheaper rooms (although a hotel like this is obviously still a treat and my expectations were therefore higher). The customer service is second to none. The car park is tiny (which can't be helped, given the winding medieval streets of Rye), but the owner obviously spotted us struggling to reverse our car into a space and rushed out to do it for us - with the greatest of ease! The porter, desk staff and bar staff were likewise very nice, and the restaurant staff were fantastic - notably superior to the indifferent waiter service you often get when you're paying through the nose in the UK.

Our meal was good, but I can't call it excellent. Although the wine was properly chilled, the butter spreadable and my duck perfectly cooked, there was a small hair in my starter. This was dealt with very professionally - the head waitress came and spoke to me promptly and assured me that the matter would be investigated. I was also offered a replacement. We had £15 knocked off our bill, so I was happy and believe it was just an unfortunate one off. The breakfast was mostly good - good quality sausages but toast was a mixture of underdone and burnt.

Our room was lovely and snuggly warm. The bar area and sitting rooms are delightful on a November's evening. An added bonus - because there was a big firework party in the town that night, the bar was available to residents only! I wan't conscious of the place being tatty as other reviewers have been - there was a little grit or sand in our bath but it was otherwise clean and cosy.

Didn't see any ghosts...

by TripAdvisor Member minilizzie

This was our honeymoon short break. The hotel was fabulous. We arrived after a steady trip down from Bristol to a very warm welcome to a hotel that was very quiet (beginning of November - no wonder!). Booked in and were shown to our room. The stairs weren't level, the floor wasn't level in the bedroom or bathroom, there was no wall mounted shower (it was built in 1422) but this place oozes character. I can understand why our USA friends love this place. It is most definitely quintissentially English. There were no tea or coffee making facilities but you did get a paper and tea or coffee brought to your room in the morning, and the staff were always on hand to get you a coffee if you wanted one.
We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights (AA Rosette awarded - and quite right too) and it was superb (part of the winter offer they had in place). So much so my new husband had the same thing both nights (Pave of Beef - which just melted!).
I couldn't recommend this hotel enough - as long as you don't want Travel Inn type accommodation! Try and get into Dr Syns Bedchamber - according to the guest book there have been sightings....

Good in parts

by TripAdvisor Member Ian Phillips

Plenty of mixed reviews on this hotel. We stayed with friends over the new year period. First the rooms. Reasonably well furnished. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and modern but not particularly well designed. Nowhere to put anything. The mixer taps on the shower were useless. Scalding hot or freezing cold. We ended up having baths.
It's the little things that seperate an average hotel from a good one.
Sad to report they still have vases of plastic flowers in the rooms.
Please get rid of them! Also plastic hangers in the wardrobe.
Complimentary bottled water or a decanter of sherry in the rooms would make all the difference and at the prices this hotel is charging it would hardly dent their bottom line profits.
We ate both nights in the restaurant. The food was fine, competant rather than acomplished. The staff were excellent, eager to please. Special mention to Becky our waitress, a very cheerful soul.
All in all a nice break. Over priced I guess but it was New Years Eve.

Worth Every Penny!!

by TripAdvisor Member Munkster

My husband and I have stayed at the Mermaid twice, and have on both occasions been more than happy with the whole experience. The hotel is a credit to its staff - the historic rooms are wonderful (we love the Kingsmill), the service is second to none, and the restaurant is a culinary treat.
Our advice would be to go in the winter, when there are not so many tourists in Rye, and you get the chance to sit by the fantastic fireplace in the bar! We have booked to go over Christmas this year, and we can't wait to return.

A Splendid Christmas!

by TripAdvisor Member Barclays/Mottingham

My husband and I always go away at Christmas and this year decided to stay at the Mermaid Inn. The restaurant was of the highest standard and definitely deserved more than one AA Rosette. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely room looking over Mermaid Street decorated with period furniture and couldn't have asked for more. We will be back!

Wonderfully Romantic Anniversary!

by TripAdvisor Member JanetJoyce

My husband booked a room at the Mermaid Inn to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a beautiful four-poster room full of character. Prior to going into the restaurant we went into the bar for a drink and sat by the largest roaring log fire we had ever seen. Dinner was served in the lovely candlelit restaurant - our table looked out onto a small patio with a clever mermaid water feature. The food was exquisit and the service not too intrusive.

The whole experience is a must, from the ambience of the hotel, to the delightful restaurant and the most accommodating staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble.

A must for the true romantics!

I saw a ghost

by TripAdvisor Member sputwesthampstead

The Mermaid is a great hotel. I stayed there at the end of March and there was 16 of us celebrating a mates mums 60th birthday.
The staff are very friendly and food was fantastic! If you are in a big group there is a seperate dining room which you can have to yourself which I would highly recommend, it did the rest of the guests a favour us being away from them. Smile. Our hotel room overlooked the courtyard in the middle of the hotel and the fountain was going all night which was a pain in the neck and the room was pretty basic with a horrible champagne bathroom suite, fake flowers and NO SHOWER! With this hotel you pay a very high price for the experience however the ambience is great.
I would certainly recommend a couple of nights but no more.
When booking I would recommend you ask them to reserve you a parking space as parking is horrendous.

Mermaid Inn, RyeMermaid Inn, Rye