Premier Inn Basildon South

High Road - Fobbing, Stanford le Hope - Essex, Basildon, SS17 9NR, United Kingdom
Premier Inn Basildon  South
Priceline.com eDreams Booking.com

More about Basildon

ukirsari (c) nicholas ingramukirsari (c) nicholas ingram

Only fools & horses...Only fools & horses...

Death of Wat TYlerDeath of Wat TYler

depeche mode fans coming to make a short film in your town !

by weetum

Hello - I am new here and doing all I can to research into the best way to spend my pre-concert time in and around London in May of next year.
My friend and I want to spend a day in Basildon - hotel booked for Friday night already - and I was wondering if any of you would have some Depeche Mode addresses for us to go and find ...
Anything relating to their time in Basildon would be welcome - schools, youth clubs, houses, chip shops ;-) record stores ;-) it would just be so fantastic to skim around and get a feel of where Dave Gahan and his pals grew up !
I have already found a great place to have a picnic lunch, Basildon House - looks lovely !
Thank you for any help you can provide - I know it's all a long way off, but I want to get as much of this planned out now while I have free time. Next year is going to be very busy for me at work, so I can see May creeping up sneakily on me, and I don't want to leave unprepared and waste time when I arrive.

Cheers, W xx

by leics

I know little of Depeche Mode, but I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. They 'began' in Basildon, Essex but Basildon House (which is indeed lovely) is in Basildon, near Pangbourne, Berkshire. There are two Basildons, you see. So no picnic in the grounds of a lovely house, I'm afraid.

The Basildon you want to visit is, as I said, in Essex. It is a 'New Town', started in 1948, and in consequence has little in the way of history ot historical buildings. I visited it (once) decades ago, but can't help with schools/chip shops etc.

Potentially useful sites:

http://www.basildon.gov.uk/ (you'll find schools listed here)

www.streetmap.co.uk will give you a clear streetmap of anywhere you particularly want to visit.

by taurean_traveller

I agree with the previous posting.Basildon does not have any particular nice buildings like you describe.I know,I live just a few minutes away.
I suggest you do all your research re DM and then you can probably find more from the library which is situated near the main square.
Basildon is also famous for Alison Moyet but the town itself is not a feature of what is a nice county.
I don't know what hotel you are staying at but there are a few dotted around but you will need to use public transport or taxis.
A day is about right for the culture of Basildon!!!
Any queries email me and I will help all I can

by leics

The confusion over the two Basildons has arisen on VT in the past. One is in Berkshire, a tiny hamlet with a rather lovely Regency house nearby (used in a recent Jane Austen film). The other is in Essex....erm........well, much as described. A day there is more than likely quite enough.

Travel Tips for Basildon

Modern stain glass windows

by sourbugger

John Nuffgens is one of the leading artists in the UK who work in the medium of stained glass.

In a place that is renowned for it's lack of culture and philistinism the modern church in the centre contains a series of these stunning works of art. They look even more stunning when the sun is shining at the right angle, giving the glass gleaming brilliance.

The church is in the centre of town, near the towngate theatre.

Comments