The Stoke By Nayland Club Hotel

Colchester Tourist OfficeColchester Tourist Office

Don't get too close ! White RhinoDon't get too close ! White Rhino

Castle Park, ColchesterCastle Park, Colchester

Travel Tips for Colchester

So important to have friends.

by Paolo-Italy

Colchester is a 100.000 people town, so it's not so big and not too small... If you are a Colchesterian it happens often that you meet people you already know wherever you go. Colchester is even a very active town, and there are too many strangers coming here... Some others go (london is just a hour away), is a town in "Movement"... Depeche Mode, Jamiroquai, Prodigee, Sade they all come from Colchester...

I think that in this town is very important to have friends; more than in other tpwns... I mean, if you come here and you have friends you should really try to care about them, because my impression is that in Colchester you could risk to have the fault of a big town, where sometimes people is in isolation... Uhmmmm... Maybe my arguing is a bit complicated... Sorry.

Anyway, have friends, wherever you are... ;)

St Helen's Chapel

by alucas

St Helen's Chapel is probably Saxon, and indeed the Chapel foundations, visible outside the north-east corner, are even earlier, part of the 1st century Roman theatre on this site.

The chapel may have been built as early as the 8th century by Offa, King of Mercia, within the ruined walls of the theatre. Certainly Saxon, it was old when the Norman lord, Eudo Dapifer, came, for he had to ‘renew’ it in 1076.

In 1539, at the Reformation, the Chapel ceased to be used for worship, going into secular use as school, library, house, workshop etc. In the 18th century it was the Quaker ‘Little Meeting House’. Later it was a parish hall, but in recent times merely the Castle Museum storeroom.

St Helen's Chapel was restored to Christian worship in 2000 by the British Antiochian Orthodox Deanery - the Greek Orthodox Church. The above information was taken from the Church's own web-site.

The Chapel is open for Pilgrims and Visitors whenever possible, usually at least 10.30 am – 12.30 pm

My University!!!

by bearsister

"My most happiest and unforgettable years!"

I went to the University of Essex in October 1999. My first impression for this university was COOL! I love the environment, full of 'green stuffs' thats make me feel comfortable. Besides, the rabbits and squirrels are so cute!

I met a lot of friends in my first year. They come from different countries, Brazil, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Spain, Mexico, Africa, Singapore, France, and of course Hong Kong.

Philip and Queenie are my best friends since my first year, we still keep in touch until now.

Leonardo is my very special friend, we know each other in 2000, which is my second year. We are in the same department and he is a nice guy. We had a really good time until I left in August 2002.

My second year was brilliant!!!! All my flatmates are so nice. We went to parties occassionally. I still keep in touch with some of them.

The three years were my happiest time in my entire life. I enjoyed the time with my friends there and I am happy that I still keep in touch with them. It is very important to keep in touch with them because life is too short and we should enjoy our time everyday!!!

Colchester Zoo

by joanj

This landscaped small garden area is outside the Orang Utans enclosure and shows the tree roots etc., from the excavation of this enclosure

This is the newly constructed huge outdoor enclosure for the Orang Utan, showing plenty of space for him to wander, and his outdoor shelter centre of picture. The inside enclosure is to the left of the picture.

Comments