Colchester Rd Tolleshung Knigh Maldon Essex CM9 8H

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Five Lakes Hotel, Golf, Country Club and Spa

Scamelot!

by TripAdvisor Member learnthelingo

A very weird place with bad heating, bad food and like, bad vibes, man....

It was freezing cold. I had a one-hour aromatherapy massage and it was so cold in the treatment room that by the end of it I think I'd slipped into a hypothermic coma – not the kind of chilled-out experience I had in mind.

In the evening we went down for dinner and even though I had woolly tights and a long-sleeved top and shirt on, I had to go back to the room for my and my husband's hoodies - you could almost see your breath. When i mentioned it to the receptionists they looked at me like i was insane.

Our meal at the 'two-AA-rosette' Camelot restaurant was absolutely disgusting and really expensive too. My main course was vile, and I'll eat pretty much anything but it was actually inedible. Very disappoining.

The best thing about this 'spa hotel' were the bedroom's paintings of King Arthur-style knights with Five Lakes hotel in the distance, plus brilliantly bad paintings of Joanna Lumley, Robocop, Cilla Black and John Cleese to name but a few, swathed in medieval robes holding swords etc in the Bistro, where we had our English breakfast the next day which was actually really nice. And the barman called Zoltan was really nice.

(We also both had awful nightmares and hardly got a wink of sleep there and left feeling really out of sorts the next day.)

Our third visit, so can't be all bad

by TripAdvisor Member LiztheWhizz

This was our third visit to the Five Lakes (we have relatives in Essex) and each has had its moments, good and bad.

On the plus side is its location - very pleasant, rural setting in the centre of its own golf course. They are also very accommodating of our 5 year old son, who loves the indoor pool.

We have always stayed in the executive rooms in the main hotel which are comfortable but pretty standard and not huge - a real missed opportunity if ever there was one. But if you pre-book on the internet, you can get a really good deal on them.

Berjerano's restaurant is buffet style so great for kids, and usually the food is OK, but we have had a couple of meals which were sub-standard. The good thing is that, being a buffet, you can just move on to the next course, or have cheese and biscuits as well as dessert. And kids under 6 eat free, another bonus.

Our problem with the place is that it is very conference focused, so you need to check when you book. The first time we stayed was in August 2006 and the noise from the delegate events was awful. We complained, and asked to move room, but they were full so we just had to turn up the air cooling system to use as white noise and hope it would stop. It did about 2am. The staff were pretty hard nosed about it, you can tell that you are not exactly the centre of their business universe, I don't think they care if you don't come back.

But overall, if you can go when it's quieter, as it was in October and between Christmas and New Year, it's not a bad place to stay and our son really likes it. We certainly haven't been able to track down anywhere better in the area.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member moaning_geezer

Told by reception that our room was not ready as promised & to leave our suitcases in friends room & collect them later. We were also told our rooms were in the annexe. After walking around the complex with our suitcases (unable to find any porter to assist or direct us we then realised the annexe was labelled "village).
We must have walked for 15 minutes without any staff coming to our aid. When I wrote to the management to complain about the lack of service etc. they replied that "only by receiving constructive comments such as yours can we strive to improve our services".
They then had the audacity to hope they may have the opportunity of welcoming us back some time in the future. No chance!! Not worth the price paid or the 4 star rating

Excellent room but receptionist was not helpful

by TripAdvisor Member vw

We stayed in the Village. Excellent room, clean and roomy overlooking the golf course. Receptionist was not friendly, nor helpful. Not much choice in the evening buffet. Will stay here again but will not use the restaurant. Equipment for badminton need renewing.

OK but not Great

by TripAdvisor Member poppyc

Stayed at this hotel for a one night spa break with friends. The rooms were good, with enormous beds and large bathrooms. There were, however, a few issues:-

1. The whole hotel was COLD especially in the spa area and considering we walk around with only a robe on, I feel it is essential that we are comfortable. I had a back massage and the massager's hands were absolutely freezing, which I did point out to her and she simply laughed and carried on. Didn't particularly make for a relaxing experience.

2. Somebody in the next room left their room service trays outside their door, with leftover and congealed food on it. This was still there over 12 hours later! I did point it out to a member of staff who subsequently moved it to the end of the corridor, where it stayed up until the time we left.

3. I would not class this hotel as a spa hotel, it has no extra facilities to any other hotel I've stayed in, i.e. a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. I do believe this is slightly misleading and was expecting spa pools and relaxtion rooms.

4. The reception staff were fairly unhelpful and when our bill was presented to us incorrect for the 2nd time, she simply stared at me without even a simply apology.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel for a spa break. However, the rooms were nice and the restaurant adequate, but if you are looking for a special treat with the girls, then I would not stay here.

Comments