Victoria Street, Bourton-on-the-Water, Cotswolds, GL54 2BX, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

More about Old Manse Hotel

The inns of Bourton

by iandsmith

I've included some shots of the hotels in Bourton-on-the-Water. Quite a few of them are in Victoria Street which sits astride the River Windrush.
The first hotel was built for the first baptist minister in 1748, hence its name, the "Old Manse Hotel". I wonder what the church would think of its use now!
The second one is the Old New Inn that originally came into being as an amalgamation of two cottages and a barn in 1714. This became a lodging place for travellers on their way via Burford to Oxford across Westcote Heath.
The Heath at that time was renowned for footpads and robbers who came from the Wychwood Forest, on the Oxfordshire side of the hill, and it was not safe to cross except in broad daylight. (So much for the good old days!)
Since then the Inn has built its reputation for hospitality and good cheer for totally different reasons. In fact, in 1860, it was given, as a present, by Mrs Florence Bloss, mother of John Alfred Bloss, in recognition of the love of a mother for her son (we know not what the Inland Revenue thought of that).
After the railway arrived, the Inn became a stop over for Commercial Travellers, who would hire horses and traps to visit the local villages with their samples. Today the inn's location at the front of the Model Village, one of the ex-owners bearing responsibility for that, makes it just as popular as it ever was.

Lunch in a Pub

by DEBBBEDB about Was it the DUKE OF WELLINGTON?

Thursday we ate lunch in a Pub. I don't remember which one it was, but it was right by the river, so it might have been the Duke of Wellington. This pub has a family room and the website says Small hotel with busy pub trade. Good pub atmosphere - rare for Bourton.

The lunch menu includes

Sandwiches

Served with Potato Crisps & Salad Garnish.
Add 40p to have any sandwich toasted

Steak, Onion & Cheese £5.50 But it could also have been the
OLD NEW INN
High Street, GL54 2AF
Tel. Cotswold (01451) 820467
Popular Hotel dating from 1709 adjacent to model village and model railway.

Or the
OLD MANSE HOTEL
Victoria Street, GL54 2BX
SP167206
On the river bank
Tel. Cotswold (01451) 820082
website:http://www.oldenglish.co.uk/
Hotel bar in Cotswold tourist trap. Prices reflect the picture book location. Adjacent to the river Windrush. Built in 1748, the hotel is former manse of Rev. Bedham. Enthusiastic landlord offering a wide range of guest beers. Lively and friendly atmosphere.

Village tearooms (chap outside is no relation)Village tearooms (chap outside is no relation)

St Lawrence churchSt Lawrence church

The Dial House, from the 1600sThe Dial House, from the 1600s

The river in the villageThe river in the village

Travel Tips for Bourton on the Water

Where have all the tourists gone?

by iandsmith

Burton by night. Now there's a page you won't see elsewhere! As is my wont I arose early and deliberately went to try and get some reflective shots. Photography however can be a difficult business and things don’t always go according to plan. For instance, the second picture is half out of focus. I have absolutely no idea why and, because it was dark when I took it I couldn’t see to correct it. By the time I took the third one I was a bit frustrated at looking for good subject matter. Despite all that, I still thought I’d share them all with you.

Now for something completely different

by iandsmith

And so it came to pass that when I returned and picked up Rosemarie for breakfast we were walking down the street towards the cafe when we chanced upon this scene. By the time I had contained myself after reading his T-shirt I just felt so strongly that this was an opportunity passing me by so I went back and asked if he wouldn't mind if I took his photo.
I still smile every time I see it. (Trust me, blow it up and see why)

Bourton on the Water

by Andrew_W_K

"Another Cotswold beauty"

Without doubt Bourton on the Water is pretty place. The town is a magnet for tourists and day trippers and its easy to see why. Take a picture of the high street with the shallow river Windrush flowing through and you could guarantee to make it a postcard.
Tourists are well catered for too with plenty of restaurants, pubs and cafes to suit all pockets.
The only downside is all us tourists and the fact it's all a bit "twee".
There are quite a few attractions in the town as well although I didn't visit them on my brief trip there. The motor museum, model village and model railway are all family favourites as well as Birdland (a zoo for birds).

Comments