Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel

Cirencester Road, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Cotswolds, GL53 8EA, United Kingdom

Cheltenham Park Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• TimeoutQueen's Profile Photo

“Exteremly over rated and not 4*”

This was suppose to be a break for me from my partner who I have to say is always thoughtful in all he does. So can you imagin the catalogue of things that happened after we checked in.
    We managed to get in before the 2pm check-in time, which was great. We were allocated room 309. The bed was hard, there was no Wine as stated in the room, but there was chocolates. I checked the bathroom as I always do, and the layer of dust that lay on top of the light fitting above the mirror had been there for so long, it was gathering height.

On three occassions, the chamber maids tried to gain entrance to our room with knocking (How rude is that)

The food in the restuarant was exteremly poor. The Lamb shank had been cooked from the night before (Confirmed by hotel duty manager) The Steak was over cooked, when we asked for med-rare.

Goodness know how long we waited to be served in the first place, the staff spoke little english and had no idea what we were requesting.

The next day we decided we would have breakfast in our room, what a big mistake that was, between 9.30-10.00 we requested, it arrived late, and must have been sitting on the plate since 6am, it was cold, and dried up and not what we ordered.....

I have to say how this hotel ever got a 4 star rating I shall never know, They have no idea, what customer service is, or how to train the staff they have to give the service that we paid good money to enjoy because it`s just not good enough....

We have stayed in hotels all over the world, some not even 4 stars, but they gave a 5 star service..... And to top it all off for the three days we were there, non of the internal hotel room phones were working, due to a fire they had the week before....Need I say more..

Unique Quality: If it`s quality and good service freshly cooked food you require do not book this hotel.....

More about Barcelo Cheltenham Park Hotel

Abysmal

by TripAdvisor Member DessertStorm

The check-in process seemed especially convoluted. My room was small and L-shaped. The shower curtain had mould on it, there was no soap, and the lavatory was literally an inch from the heated towel rail.

The restaurant menu was so pretentious the only thing on it I could eat was cheesecake. I stuck my head round the door of the bar and it was so smoky I immediately gave up. Breakfast was adequate.

The good news: the room had a nice view. Since I arrived late and left early, this was of little consolation.

This hotel has seen better days. How they manage to pass themselves off as a four star venue I don’t know. I stayed one night on business – had I paid good money for a special occasion, I’d be furious.

Bad

Rude and surly General Manager. Seemed obssesed with the flower and decor arrangements rather than the staffing arrangements.
Had to wait a while for room at reception and then was given a dingy room on 2nd floor. After making a fuss was moved to a room facing the gardens. Bedrooms were very dusty,smelly and outdated no way 4 star. However staff were very attentive and pleasant when called upon.

Didnt meet expectations

by TripAdvisor Member robsinclair

We stayed here for 2 nights as a valentines treat and were very disappointed. The room we had was dark, smelly and quite old and worn, probably bordering on 2-3*. We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast basis and were fairly pleased with the food at dinner (though the menu is nothing special) - the dinner room is not all that spectacular though. Breakfast was a very average buffet. On the 2nd morning we requested breakfast in our room which when it eventually arrived was 45 mins late and our english breakfast was stone cold! Thankfully the staff were apologetic enough about this to not charge us for the room service that morning. All in all this hotel is way overpriced for what it is offfering and does not match other 4*s we have stayed in - i Wouldn't stay here again

Awful

by TripAdvisor Member themymblesdaughter

What a horrible hotel. Grimy, dilapidated in parts, smelly, depressing. How this gets four stars in some guides is incomprehensible. I would rather sleep in a tent than visit this awful place again. It's a disgrace that hotels like this still exist

Nice hotel - but.....

by TripAdvisor Member Cornwallian

We stayed here during August bank holiday 2005. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Cheltenham, a taxi ride or a bus ride (about 300 metres from the hotel) from the town centre. It’s a bit too far to walk. Our room was on a long corridor, which is attached to but is not part of the old house. It was on the hot side but there was a fan in the room (no air con). The room was a standard hotel bedroom with complimentary refreshment tray and facilities. We also had a minibar / fridge. The bed was comfortable. We overlooked the hotel garden, which is long and thin with a small stream running at the bottom. Our bedroom (and most of the bedrooms) are located at the opposite end of the hotel to the function rooms so the noise from the event was minimal. Breakfast was buffet style a good selection although some of the food had been standing there a while. The hotel is next door to a golf course. The hotel is nice and we enjoyed our stay but we have stayed in other cheaper hotels, which were just as nice.

Look elsewhere. Appalling staff attitude. Esp Manager

by TripAdvisor Member raspberryberet

Arrived after lengthy travel to have to wait an hour to check in. Eventually sent to single rooms when doubles had been booked. (This was after being given inactivated room cards and having to go up and down stairs with luggage as there was no lift). Insisted on getting what was booked but only received one double room. The singles were so small that the bed had to be moved to get into the bathroom. We were told at check in to come back at 9am the following morning to see the reservation supervisor. We did - she wasn't there. To add insult to injury the reception staff member who had dealt with us at check in denied any memory of the previous evening's events. The attitude of the duty manager was appalling. Not even an acknowledgement or eye contact during an enquiry. Lots of other people complaining too. Certainly wouldn't return. Rooms so hot it was intolerable. No a/c.

Excellent stay, good food, attentive staff, great room.

by TripAdvisor Member Trail

I booked the Cheltenham Park as Paramount Hotels were good enough to offer some complimentary accommodation following a problem at another Paramount Hotel a few months ago when I was away on business.

Naturally I was a little concerned with my choice once I had read some of the reviews on trip advisor. I shouldn't have been concerned.

I stayed with my wife for 2 nights (midweek) at the Cheltenham Park and would highly recommend it.

The room we stayed in was a Premier room and was beautifully presented, clean and fitted to a high standard. The housekeeping staff were attentive (offering to turn down the bed in the evening) and providing additional bottled water on request.

Check in was very quick and there were ample staff manning reception to deal with check in, taxi bookings, queries etc.

The breakfast service was also much better than expected. There was a good selection of cereals, fruit, baguels etc. and there was also a hot breakfast menu to choose from which was provided by waiter service, not buffet style. The cooked breakfast is highly recommended.

The leisure facilities were particularly good, decent sized indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. I was very impressed with the gym, lot's of helpful staff, good modern equipment, and again, a decent size for a hotel gym.

I can't comment on the evening menu as we didn't sample it preferring to eat out in Cheltenham (Franco's Italian Restaurant was excellent if you want a genuine Italian experience).

Overall we had a very pleasent stay.

Nice base for Cotswolds trips

by TripAdvisor Member Caroline0808

We booked into this hotel for one night to join my family from Holland who booked a 3 night package deal here. We were a bit worried, what with the other reviews on this site.
I can happily report the hotel is fine in our experience. Some staff at reception were clueless, but most were friendly and helpful. Nice bar staff too. The terrace was quite lovely, we were lucky with the weather. They brewed me a very nice Pimm's.
The room was clean and not cramped - it is not spanking new and not air-conditioned, which in our case would have been a major improvement.
When you arrive it looks like a small hotel, but in fact he stairs and corridors are quite endless when you get in. However, once you get to know the place you can drive around the back and avoid some stairs and foot mileage.
In the morning I used the leisure space. This is a health club under separate management with a receptionist to give you your towel and all. It means that you would have to get very lucky to have it to yourself, but on the bright side there is a huge selection of excellent equipment. The pool is a nice size and not cold. The sauna and steam room were lovely.
We paid 110 pounds for one Saturday night (luxury room with a gift box including toiletries, wine and chocolate). If I would have had a choice I would have selected a different hotel. The hotel is fine, but not good value for money.

Customer Service !

by TripAdvisor Member AlfiePC

The Customer Service skills of the receptionist on duty was appalling. We checked in and ten minutes later we checked out! Nice hotel and excellent leisure facilities available but we were made to feel extremely unwelcome.

Dreadful!! Never again

by TripAdvisor Member R-clar

The Most dreadful place I have ever stayed. Staff hardly spoke any English and when we complained about the food and the service in the restaurant, young girl in charge did not understand what we were saying, and when I asked to see the manager, she said she was the one!
Go and do an English course first! running a 100 cover restaurant and not knowing what's going on!!
We waited for 20 minutes for our drinks, then when they arrived they were not the ones we ordered, so we had to wait another 10 minutes to finally get our drinks with our desserts.
Food was very basic,and the plates were very cold, when I complained about the steak which was very well done, or burnt instead of rare, the girl said it was hard to cook the steaks as they were very thinly sliced!! You could get a better steak next door in the 'Clock Tower' pub for £5.00 and we paid £18 for it.
All in all very disappointing, next day when I asked to see the duty manager I was told he was with another customer and he would be with me in a minute. We waited for about 20 minutes, we never saw him.

Luxury Four Poster Bed Cheltenham HotelLuxury Four Poster Bed Cheltenham Hotel