Colesbourne, Cheltenham, Cotswolds, GL53 9NP, United Kingdom

Countryside around CheltenhamCountryside around Cheltenham

Travel Tips for Cheltenham

Center for Touring

by grandmaR

Cheltenham is convenient as a center for touring especially if you have a family place to stay. My daughter, SIL and grandson had previously made trips to Gloucester to the canal museum, to Stonehenge and Avebury and to Bourton on the Water and other places in the Cotswalds and Lake District. They had also taken visiting family to Warwick Castle.

I had several places that I particularly wanted to see. I really wanted to see Stonehenge because I had never seen it and I thought it was important. So when our daughter picked us up on Monday, we visited there, and also Avebury, which she and our grandson liked better.

Because I remembered the paintings of Turner and Constable (and I showed Bob some of them when we were in London), I also wanted to visit Salisbury, and our daughter thought it could be combined with the trip to Stonehenge. When my second daughter was in 8th grade, she and my mom went to Bath c 1977 and I was intrigued by the photos they brought back. So I wanted to see that. So on July 23rd our daughter lent us the Rover and we took our grandson and went to Bath. He had been to Bath on a school trip, but not to THE Baths, and my daughter and SIL had only been to the cathedral.

I also particularly wanted to see the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Wales. So on July 24th our daughter took off work and drove us to Llangollen and the aqueduct at Trevor finishing up with a short stop at Iron Bridge for supper.

The next day (July 25th), we borrowed the Rover again and took our grandson to Gloucester to visit the canal museum.

Our SIL had agreed to help us out with another thing I wanted to do which was to hire a narrowboat so on Friday July 26th we went to Dunhampstead (a place so small that it is not even on VT) for a trip down to Worcester and back.

On the way home on Monday July 29th we stopped off at Bourton on the Water

On July 30th, we just went in to Cheltenham on the bus and walked around. a bit, and on July 31st we stayed home (it was one of the few rainy days we had) and packed and organized for our flight home on August 1st.

Racetrack and Spa

by DEBBBEDB

This page is a mixture.

DEB lived and worked here in Cheltenham for three years on a job exchange from September 2000 and returning in July 2003. She rented a listed house. Her husband and youngest son were here with her. Her son was enrolled in a local school. Her older two children visited occasionally.

Her mother-in-law came once, her grandmother came once, and her mother and father also came once.

In addition Barb came to visit twice with her whole family, and Beth came with her family just before Deb was transferred back to the US.

Deb went back to England for a short visit in 2006