Upper Slaughter, Cheltenham, The Slaughters, GL54 2JD, United Kingdom

Lords of the Manor Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

• Terribly passe and overpriced dinning room

Went on Sunday. The grounds are magnificent. The hotel tired and decorated in a terrible passe bad taste poor quality traditional manner. Would not ever go again.

The restaurant food was poor and extremely overprice. It does not warrant it's Michelin one star. The service was slow, laborious and indifferent.

The hotel most survive on japanese tourists who think this quality is normal

Unique Quality: None, generally we did not enjoy our visit

Directions: Nice surroundings

More about Lord of the Manor Hotel

nice

by TripAdvisor Member churachura

I stayed the hotel for one night. As it was off-season sale, I booked just for 70 pounds for two, including breakfast. The restaurant was closed, so the hotel gave us an upgraded room which was amazing. The hotel located in a lovely country side and we had nice walk. There are many lounges with open fire, library, bar etc. We had tea and shortbread. Shortbread was the best shortbread I have ever had! Hotel service was pretty bad. I asked an iron and waited over 30 mins, however never arrived. I could not understand as there were not so many people staying there. Over all, I recommend it!

Top quality Cotswold hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JohnWestcote

We stayed at the Lords of the Manor during the weekend prior to Valentine's on a special break booked over the hotel's website. Having seen some of the earlier reviews and particualrly the comments about the standard of service, we were approaching our stay with an element of trepidation. However, the quality of the hotel, food and service far exceeded our expectations.

From the moment we arrived on a very snowy Friday afternoon, every single member of staff was extrmeely courteous and efficient. We checked in (reception was very professional and identified us and our reservation within a few seconds) and were shown to our large and characterful "Rectory room" on the first floor with wonderful views over the fields. A small decanter of sherry was waiting for us together with a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolates (part of the Valentine's deal). Any requests to reception for ice buckets, ironing boards etc were dealt with very promptly.

However, the highlight of our stay was dining in the restaurant. On both nights, the food was superb (well deserving of its Michelin star status) and accompanied by discrete and professional service at all times.

All in all, a really excellent hotel. Our stay was not cheap but I would still consider it to be very good value for money. It won't be too long before we will be returning to Lords of the Manor.

the best

by TripAdvisor Member tetbury

Stayed here in January, February and April - regretably missed March
Wonderful location, gardens well cared, cream teas on the lawn overlooking the lake

The three different bedrooms in the main house were all very comfortable and clean, sherry, water all provided

All food excellent, service professional and not obtrusive

Staff friendly and very helpful

Looking forward to our next visit - we rate it superior to Lower Slaughter Manor -, where we have stayed twice before and also dropped
in for afternoon teas

good food shame about the service

by TripAdvisor Member NorthernWeekender

Like a previous reviewer, it is the first time we have felt necessary to post a review.
We are regular weekend hotel-goers, perhaps 15 visits to the AA/RAC top 200 hotels per year.
This hotel is by far the worst for unhelpful, unfriendly restaurant staff taking their lead from the restaurant/bar manager. They seemed bored and disinterested.
The room, although booked as a superior one, was faded,especially the poorly equipped bathroom.
There are much better value and more hospitable hotels in the area.

Very Overpriced And Badly Maintained

by TripAdvisor Member savvyttraveller

My husband booked this hotel as a suprise for my birthday. I wish he hadn't. If it had cost only half of what it did, we think it would have been overpriced. Yes, the location is lovely but that's where the compliments end.
There was no-one in reception for at least 5 minutes when we arrived. We never saw a porter at all. We were shown a very dark and dirty room (Barrington) with the loo overlooking the road through the village! (clear glass too). The net curtains were mouldy and there was no view at all. We asked to change rooms and were given a much lighter room with a large bathroom. It was better, but still not worth the money. The room was very worn and in desperate need of refurbishment with no sign of any maintenance being done - lights not working, curtain rail falling out, chipped paintwork, staines on chairs and carpet.
There was no tea & coffee making facilities, no clock,no radio, and no satellite tv - I could go on. Staff were okay but we felt they were overworked and underpaid and so service was not up to the standard we would expect from a hotel that is described as a small leading hotel of the world. We don't think so!
The restaurant was characterless and the food only very average. We should have been offered the 'market menu' as it was included in our room rate, but only when we asked for it on the second night did we get it.
The service charge added to the final bill is an absolute cheek, but we stupidly didn't take it off - wish we had now after reading other travellers comments. (As this was a suprise, I didn't get to see trip advisor before we went, god, do I wish I had now!).
Our feeling is that as large number of guests seem to be Japenese and American, they hike up the price but do not seem to offer any quality or attention to detail. Maybe the staff aren't motivated as they never see the money from the added service charge. Unless you want be feel ripped off, don't stay here.

Let down big time...

by TripAdvisor Member DebraHerts

I took my partner to the Lords of the Manor for his birthday last weekend. Luckily, he had chosen it so I could not be held responsible! (Unfortunately, he had based his choice on a review in the Style section of the Sunday Times - where A.A. Gill had, quote my partner, given the restaurant a virtually unprecedented 5 stars. When I later read the article myself, it turned out to have been written by Alex James of Blur - as A.A.Gill was away!)
The hotel seemed to be staffed entirely by young people - not a managerial person in evidence all weekend. We were initially given a "junior suite" - a dark room in the roof of the barn. Two tiny dorma windows made the room very dingy; my partner loves nothing more than a beautiful view, so I organised for us to be moved. We were then given the best room in the house - and whilst I must admit the view out of the enormous bay window was gorgeous, the room itself was very tired and somewhat shabby looking. The bathroom was cheap and plasticky, and the towels grey and threadbare.

Our meal was such a disappointment and a catalogue of disasters. We had elected not to come down to the bar for the recommended pre dinner aperitifs 30 mins before dinner. This seemed to throw the staff completely ; we were shown to our table (moved, because we had been seated with strangers at what was virtually a table for four) and then left alone for 30 mins. All around, diners were given breadsticks, olives etc - we received nothing.
When the menus finally came,I didn't fancy much on it. The only thing which vaguely appealed was the sole - but I didn't care for the "slices of apple" which came with it.
I asked our rather young, condescending French waiter if I could possibly have potatoes with the fish instead. He said this was impossible; they could not do this. I was just stunned - how could a supposedly top restaurant not potatoes for me? I called over a young lady who seemed to be in charge in a vague way, and reiterated my request. She proceeded to tell me this would not be necessary as the sole already came on a bed of mashed potatoes! I can only surmise that something got lost in translation from "pommes de terre" to the English wording "slices of apple" on the menu!!
In the event, the food was nouvelle cuisine at its most pretentious and portions were so tiny as to be a joke. The waiters wre all young kids and it was shambolic - no other word for it. Yet again, we couldn't see a single grown up person of management in evidence.

When it came to checking out, the whole miserable experience came to £ 395 - extortionate to say the least. To add insult to injury, they had added in a "discretionary" 10% - both to the room and the meal, which my partner and I objected to, and it was immediately removed.
All in all, a great disappointment and we certainly would not recommend it to friends.
If I had done my research better - just down the road in Lower Slaughter, is Lower Slaughter Manor(same group as Cliveden and Royal Crescent, Bath). It looks stunningly beautiful, the costs are identical, and if I had my time over, we would most definitely have gone there.....

Pleasant getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Michael C999

The hotel was very quiet when we stayed there. It is in a lovely location, but it seems not to be trying to be quite so upmarket as it used to. Booked on an offer it seemed very reasonable (£99 per night), and dinner remains of a high standard, even if the dining room lacked atmosphere because it was quiet. I'd rather stay here than in a chain hotel charging almost as much. Obviously expect to pay smart hotel prices for e.g. afternoon tea. Overall it has a slight air of decayed gentility but that gives it a somewhat different charm.

Nice hotel let down by poor service

by TripAdvisor Member Brum74

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor I was a little concerned how our 2-night stay at LOTM would be. First of all, I think some reviewers have been very harsh about the decor. Yes it is a little tired but really it is not so bad. I think some rooms may be worse than others but our room (Wrigley) was great. Bathroom was in need of a makeover and the shower sprayed all over the floor but nothing too bad.

Sherry and bottled water in the room a nice touch. Public rooms and gardens are very nice.

As a building and for the interior I would have graded this 4.

Now the bad bits.

Cleanliness - could be better. There was toothpaste on the taps left by a previous guest.

Service - the staff who served us were all polite and friendly. There were just not enough of them. The receptionist had to help us to our room - leaving no one on reception.

The waiting staff work night and day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Again there were not enough people serving the restaurant.

Dinner was a comedy of errors. Both nights there were mistakes with our orders (wrong food brought to table, wrong wine, a forgotten pudding which we waited 30 minutes for then the waitress came over and asked what it was we were waiting for).

Dinner starts by arriving 30 minutes before dinner. Guests wait in a lovely lounge, have a drink and 'canapés' (these were not canapés as I know them - just breadsticks, cheese straws and olives). During this time you select dinner and wine from the menu.

Despite being in the lounge for 50 minutes on the first night and 45 minutes on the second night, our food still took a very long time to come to the table.

They set the table for each course - only when our starter plates and cutlery were taken away, they forgot to replace them. When our mains arrived, we had to ask for cutlery and our wine which they had failed to bring to the table.

The cheeseboard was fantastic - except the waitress who served it confess she did not know what all of them were. When we asked if there was anyone to assist her she said only chef - and he was busy in the kitchen (obviously)

Dinner is expensive at LOTM - and I must stress the food is fantastic - but the whole experience was spoiled by poor service. We listened to other diners who had cause for complaint and we heard the head waiter/restaurant manager apologise to 3 tables.

Trying to get a drink in the garden is impossible unless you go inside and ask. This is unforgivable as the bar overlooks the front garden and the barman could see us waiting at a garden table for 20 minutes. He made no attempt to send anyone out to offer us a drink. When I my partner went into ask for a drink the same barman acted like he had not noticed we were waiting. We then felt completely fleeced at paying about £10 for a gin and tonic – which we would not have felt had we been provided with good service as the setting is so fabulous.

The cooked breakfast is great but selection from the buffet is pretty poor.

Overall, this hotel is not worth the money. We paid £330 per night on a DBB basis. This may be what the market will stand but I would be in no hurry to return. If they got the service right – I would be back like a shot!

Unfortunately, I just found the service to be below the standard I would expect in a chain pub. There really is no excuse for such a catalogue of errors. .

Simply Superb

by TripAdvisor Member London71Traveller

We went back to the Lords of the Manor last weekend, having previously visited a few months ago. We were blown away the first time and the second time exceeded the first.

The décor is a little tired in certain areas but it’s certainly not shabby or dirty in any way. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed the food which we found to be outstanding as always (on all 3 nights!). I’m not sure the complaints about this hotel are justified as we are repeat guests and each time we were more than satisfied.

The enviornment, settings and grounds are hard to beat. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

The attention to detail and friendliness of services is extemporary without being obtrusive.

We will certainly be back.

Charming hotel in rural England

by TripAdvisor Member globetrotterfirst

Despite previous comments this is a first class hotel although somewhat pricey for what you get. Best aspects are location and views from some of the rooms, and, in our view a really good restaurant. Less compelling are the bathrooms-in our room at least-and the carpets which seem worn and stained in places. Whilst service could not be described as perfect, we found the staff extremely helpful.
The only major irritation I have was, and we were warned prior to arriving, the automatic addition of the 10% discretionary tip to the bill. I prefer to decide myself whether to tip and, with this hotel, I would have done so without being reminded in such a way.
Over the last 10 years or so I must have stayed in at least a couple of hundred hotels around the world. This is not the best but it certainly is up there amongst the best in the UK

Pittville Pump RoomPittville Pump Room

Marchants Coaches of Cheltenham SpaMarchants Coaches of Cheltenham Spa

Another one of the school buildingsAnother one of the school buildings

US Version of Fish and ChipsUS Version of Fish and Chips