Thistle Cheltenham

Thistle Cheltenham Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Thistle Cheltenham

Good for a weekend break.

by TripAdvisor Member eFord

The Thistle Cheltenham is a good location to visit Cheltenham. A taxi ride to the centre is 6 quid and the staff are very accommodating with requests. We booked through Tesco vouchers and got a good rate for an executive room. Although I would expect an executive room to be more spacious, the bathroom and bedroom was clean and we also had a good night sleep.

We experienced breakfast and a meal at the hotel. We had a 2 course meal for 20 pounds which was very competitive. The food was also well prepared and I would recommend the Veal. The breakfast is what you expect from a Thistle hotel, simple and a good English is served.

The staff were very friendly and suggested a good restaurant to visit on the Saturday night.

The only negatives I would have are the gym facilities. They are very average/poor and the pool is also out of use on Saturdays(AM) as they have kids swimming lessons.

Where time is its own time

by TripAdvisor Member SonnyAndCher

Every time I've stayed here and asked for an alarm call It goes off 20 mins early. And every time I tell them this, and every time they do sod all about it.
Some of the staff are a bit vacant, but bless them, I guess they are trying.
In keeping with the tradition of some of Englands best hotels, barely any of the staff are English, however unilke many of Englands best hotels, this causes problems. I've had to send breakfast back 3 times before now as it wasn't what I asked for (tea instead of coffee, just eggs, not sausages and eggs, then just sausages...) and the bar is to be avoided at all costs.
On the plus side, wireless access is free in the reception area.

Average Average Average

by TripAdvisor Member ColinP57

We stayed at the Thistle for one night with some apprehaension afeter reading some of the previous reports. The car park was completely full when we arrived at 2pm on Friday. After a while, a few spaces did open up as people using the Health club left after the lunchtime period. Please note, there is a £5 charge per vehicle per night.

The hotel is looking tired and is not particularly attractive. The staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

We had booked a King-size double and when we arrived at our room, we had two singles pushed together. We asked to move rooms which we did with no trouble.

The room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was good.

Overall, not a bad experience but the htoel just lacked any wow factor as it was very functional.

Whats all that negative fuss about

by TripAdvisor Member stevesenk

What’s all this negativity about? I’ve just returned from a two night break at this hotel, and I’m having trouble finding fault with it. What do people expect? I paid £30.00 per person per night including a full and delicious English breakfast. The hotel has a pool, gym, hot tub, sauna, steam room, free tea/coffee/hot chocolate in room with biscuits. Trouser press, iron, hair dryer, towels changed every day. In response to others who found the hotel tired and dated, I must have been taken through another entrance to them as I found the reception and foyer just fine. The staff were all friendly and helpful, room service was fast and efficient, and the room was spacious and very clean. It also has a real TV, not a daft 12” portable. Yes the restaurant staff were foreign, however they spoke English and were very helpful. At the time of out stay the car park charges were not in force, so if you are concerned about this phone before booking. Here is my tip for a pleasant stay, avoid the lounge area in the weekday as there are many businessmen and women having meetings, this clutters up the area and fills it with tobacco smoke. However on the weekend, all the tea, coffee and biscuits are free, and the area is businessman/woman free. If you can book a room with an odd number, these do not face the A40, which can be noisy as you are only about 50yards from it. Avoid using the bar and restaurant as they do mark up their prices somewhat. We went into town and found some very reasonable pizza restaurants and pubs. We also took a bottle of wine back to the room which is not only cheap but also romantic. If you have any questions please email me on stevesenk@hotmail.com. Steve

Learn Czech, Polich or ALbanian

by TripAdvisor Member redcap68

Staff are sometimes difficult to understand because of language difficulties - theirs not mine. The room was reasonably priced, clean and very comfortable. Although the restaurant was, I felt somewhat pretentious and expensive, my wife claims that her meals were good, mine not so. The bar was very expensive and, if there during the week don't even think of trying to relax in a lounge as they are usually full of 'sales' types with mobile phones and laptops going mad. Overall, not a 'holiday' type hotel in weekdays. Overall it was reasonable value and conveniently situated.

Nice surroundings, poor service

by TripAdvisor Member Wenal

I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a large group on a charity walk.
The room was very good, nice clean bathroom, and all the extra you wouold expect of this class of hotel.

The dinner service on the first night was rather slow and the food not well presented or very good.

After the first days walking (14miles) I decided to chill out in the spa. The hot tub was empty and the showers cold. The pool itself was clean an only a little on the cool side for a spa pool.

Dinner was a nicer meal but again the service let it down. Drinks were VERY expensive at £15 for a bottle of house plonk!

I would however recommend this hotel if you can get the sort of discount we managed but at full price it is a bit pricey.

good hotel but beware theives

by TripAdvisor Member helenamat

The hotel was better than expected from the reviews. The room was clean and comfortable.
But beware theives! My partner had his ipod stolen from his wash bag by a staff member. When he enquired at the hotel the day after we had checked out he was told they'd never had any reports of that before and they had not recently taken on any new members of staff. Not really a very helpful response. But its reminded me always to use the safe that's provided!

Nothing spectacular but very pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member pob74

I stayed here for just one night before a meeting in Cheltenham and found the place to be fine. Not spectacular, but about what you would expect for the price and with some extremely friendly and helpful staff. Most importantly for me, the room was clean and quiet and had everything I needed.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent and although I didn't have much chance to enjoy the bar and leisure facilities, they all looked very nice.

There's nothing at this hotel to get too excited about, but for a short stay it does the job.

Ummmm

by TripAdvisor Member stepmumHampshire

I'm not really sure how to rate the Thistle. We were there for an event at the hotel that is held there every year and my partner had warned me it was pretty grotty. To be honest when walking into the room I was pleasantly suprised but when you look at the small details you realise its not that great. The shower was difficult to use, the bed sheets didn't reach the top of the bed and the mattress was stained brown, the sofa had stains on it. Couldn't stand the suicide proof windows (a cable stopped them opening more than a crack) and the walls were quite thin.
The event itself was reasonable however the bar prices are a rip off (£17.95 for 3 drinks) and the food was little more than mediocre when you order cream of tomato soup at a four * you expect more than what tastes like a cup-a-soup!!

Average oldish

by TripAdvisor Member nico_ch

I spent one night at the Thistle. When we arrived there was a huge group of drunken party people smoking in front of the hotel and inside, opposite the reception there was a wedding party with loud music.

Luckily enough the room was distant enough, but instead of hearing the loud music you can hear every single room door in the corridor bang when they close.

The room itself was quite nice and the bed good. But the bathroom is in bad shape and looks old (but was mostly clean). I felt like being in a Thistle in downtown London (see my other reviews).

The breakfast was very average, the food we had one evening (lamb rack) was quite good.

For GBP70 it's actually quite a good P/Q ratio, if only they renovated the bathrooms....

Comments