Wyck Hill House Hotel

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Wyck Hill House Hotel

Wonderful Wyck Hill House

by TripAdvisor Member kelbelz

Having read the reviews on here I decided to make a reservation. We were offered the Sunday night special of £50 for the room which I thought for the Cotswolds was very reasonable.
It was truly worth every penny! We were at first given a room in the main building and although lovely with views over the Cotswold hills and a wonderful plasma I actually mentioned to my partner that I did like the look of the more traditional rooms on their website.
My boyfriend ever attentive and aiming to please called down to reception and explained our predicament!
It would have been easy for the receptionist to say these rooms were full but this is Wyck Hill nad their motto is never say no and they really do deliver . Within 15 mins the manager knocked at our door and led us to the old stables. The room was everything I had hoped for in the Cotswolds! We sacrificed our plasma TV but I didn't care as I got the most wonderful room with a massive bathroom bigger than my bedroom at home!!
The breakfast was lovely and the staff very accommodating.

All in all we had a brilliant time and I am hoping to go back again.

Dilapidated Grandeur - A Wonderful Romantic Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member DiscerningTravellers

My husband and I have been visiting Wyck Hill for romantic breaks for several years now. And we have never been disappointed.

In our time we've spent winter weekends in the stables, but now prefer to book the amazing suites in the main house. In June we took my parents in law away for the weekend. They had a lovely suite with two plasma screens (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) together with lovely brown leather lounge suites, an enormous bed and loads of lovely toiletries (shaving cream and razor, tooth brushes, cleansing wipes, etc). We took a junior suite which although not nearly as large, was still enormous and also had a plasma. As a female I loved the contemporary classic look of the room, while as a male my husband really didn't get past the plasma screen and DVD player (England was playing). I'm also in love with the sheets. Heavy Egyptian cotton that feels like heaven. And for summer, the rooms are air-conditioned, which in lovely old stately homes is always a luxury.

That said, I know the house isn't in perfect condition but - she's definitely very clean (I've seen the ladies on their hands and knees cleaning out the wooden cladding - that is not a job that I would envy!!). Yes she's like a great Grande dame who has seen better days and is slowly retreating into retirement. Nevertheless, the house is beautiful, the rooms are always very clean and the food amazing. Personally I love that she's not pristine, instead she's been shaped by the hands of time and her visitors.

In the games room there is a portrait of what I can only assume was once a child of the house. She looks like a possessed little person with the pallor of a corpse. She really creeps me out. Still, I love sitting in there to have a G&T and chatting with my husband and other guests.

There is a grand piano in the big hall which you're welcome to play and loads of books to take into a quiet corner of the garden for a read.

We have never had a bad meal - and believe me my husband is very picky. Similarly the wine list is great and the men at the bar have never made any mistakes with us, so I'm not sure what happened for other people who reviewed the hotel.

I think with hotels like Wyck Hill, your stay is as good as you want to make it. If you're friendly the staff can be especially lovely, but they are equally encouraged to leave you to your privacy, so don't expect them to open up conversation past the initial pleasantries unless you do.

I think breakfast in the Orangery is one of the highlights as are the rooms in the main house facing onto the veranda with their enormous French windows.

We've stayed at Wyck Hill twice this year and have every intention of returning at Christmas so we can enjoy their hospitality again. I think that with TLC Wyck Hill could be classified as a five star hotel. But if she was a five star hotel, we wouldn’t be able to afford to stay there very often – so I’m happy with things just as they are.

Not good value for money, haphazard

by TripAdvisor Member NovemberElla

This hotel sells itself on great service, high comfort and luxury. We found there were too many problems with it to warrant this. The service is amateurish though friendly, and there is meanness in a number of areas, which was very disappointing given how expensive the rooms are.

We paid around £190 a night for a 3 night stay. When we arrived, no one asked us if we would like our bags carried up to our room, we noticed (there is no lift). As we were arriving late in the evening, we asked upon booking if we could eat at 9.15pm. No problem, they said. We in fact managed to arrive earlier, at 8.30pm and asked if we could eat as soon as possible. No problem, we were told by the woman on reception, go to the restaurant at 9pm. We were then phoned in our room to say that there was in fact no table available until 9.30pm. We were a bit annoyed about this but seemingly nothing could be done. At 9.25 the reception rang again to ask if we were on our way down, when we'd already said we would come down at 9.30pm! We then arrived in the restaurant at 9.30 prompt to be told that the table was not free yet. The restaurant staff also mentioned that there was no record in the restaurant of our original 9.15 booking! We showed our annoyance at the whole situation and they offered us free drinks in the bar until our table was ready (one order of which they got wrong - see below). We eventually sat down at 9.50, hungry and irritated. The food was good in the restaurant, though - well accomplished french-style, presented well.

Lots of small things were irritating during our stay - things that if we were paying 100 a night we would dismiss. First the slightly dippy service. When we ordered a G&T we got water, when we ordered tap water with our meal, we got bottled. We had to pay for a newspaper in the morning (this is ok, but perhaps a little mean) but the biggest irritation was to find out that we were expected to pay for internet access (there is no good reason for this and most hotels nowadays offer this as part of the whole package).

Breakfasts were mean - and one felt that portion control was very much in the mind of the chefs. Half a field mushroom!, a tablespoon (I mean this quite literally) of baked beans. The amount of mushroom did not change even when one of us asked for a veggie breakfast, which meant even less on the plate. Quality of the bacon and sausage wasn't great - felt rather processed. We arrived on all three days down to breakfast about half an hour before it ended, often to find that prunes/fruit salad bowls weren't replenished. It felt penny-pinching.

Our main gripe about the room was that though we expected and booked for what was advertised as a double bed, it was a very cheap over-soggy mattress that turned out to be two singles zipped together. This is outrageous when paying almost £200 for a room. We couldn't cuddle up together because the ridge between the mattresses was too uncomfortable. Room size was good - vast in fact, with nice bathroom and a sitting room, as well as an enormous flat screen tv (but we gather not all rooms have a dvd player so you'd need to check first).

All in all, then, we really felt this place was not good value - we had too many gripes and in key areas - breakfast, bed quality, services provided as part of the deal - it was lacking. A shame because it's a lovely house in a lovely location. We would not go back again.

Make sure they do confirm your booking??????

by TripAdvisor Member Clare39

Booked a room a week ago and had a long conversation with the receptionist who was very helpful and gave me a good deal. She took my credit card details and said she would send confirmation in the post. A week later no confirmation so phoned up only to be told there was no booking in my name. Receptionist I spoke to was not apologetic at all. This is a real shame as I was really looking forward to going with my husband as a surprise birthday present. So make sure you have something in writing and don't give out your credit card details!

Comments