Fosse Manor Classic Hotel

Fosse Way, Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswolds, GL54 1JX, United Kingdom
Fosse Manor Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Stow on the Wold

Yew trees protecting the church.Yew trees protecting the church.

GargoyleGargoyle

Leaning house in Stow on the Wold, Cotswolds, UKLeaning house in Stow on the Wold, Cotswolds, UK

Stow On The Wold, EnglandStow On The Wold, England

New to the area

by new_hope30

Hi All!

I am coming to England in April to hopefully stay for about a year. I have traveled to the UK about 6 times in the last two years but it has been mostly for business. I absolutely fell in love with the Cotswalds and West Midlands (and London as well, but definitely can't afford it). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can go about finding a job in these areas, being a foreigner, sufficient enough to pay for room and board? I want to get out of the rat race and do something where I get to interact with people more and have enough free time to explore. I'm pretty much up for anything. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. As info., I am 32 years old and have 11 years of international business experience ... but am willing to be a waitress if I can experience England for awhile. Thank you for your help!

Cheers!
Camille

P.S. If you know of any VT groups that get together in this area, please let me know. I am looking forward to making new friends when I arrive!

Re: New to the area

by SusanitaL

HI Camille,

I am pretty much doing the same as you want to do. I am waitressing at the moment in London. Jobs are easy to find and with your experience I dont think you should have a problem. The only thing you have to keep in mind is having your documents sorted. Try getting a student visa as it enables you to work 20 hours a week. Catering is hard work and long hours but a way of interacting with lots of ppl everyday. London can be expensive but its all relevant. Write back to me and maybe we can meet up too.

Good Luck,

Susana

Re: Re: New to the area

by DUNK67

you could try kanes foods in middle littleton near evesham which isn`t too far from the cotswolds their workforce is mainly foreigners.

Kanes Foods Ltd

(01386) 830471

Cleeve Rd
Middle Littleton
WR11 5JS

Re: Re: New to the area

by Sjalen

I would write or mail to the main City Councils and ask them what the job situation is like. Very often they will send you a list of their main employers to help you along the way. Try a web search for for instance Cheltenham, Gloucester, Evesham...

Travel Tips for Stow on the Wold

Stow on the Wold

by Andrew_W_K

"Tourist mecca"

Stow on the Wold is pretty little Cotswold town with a slight drawback. The drawback is that the town centre can accommodate coaches and so they come and park up two abreast disgorging their daytrippers in vast numbers across the town.
Its a shame but at the same time understandable as the town is postcard perfect with its Cotswold stone buildings and tea rooms.
It was heaving with coaches on a Tuesday in early May so I can only guess at the hell it must be in July and August.

Sezincote House

by Spincat

This is a page about Sezincote House - an extraordinary estate near to Stow on the Wold and Morton in Marsh.

The house was built in 1810 and shows a mixture of Hindu and Muslim design influences - it is reminiscent of the Brighton Dome, although lovelier, and is an indication the growing British interest in "the exotic" of that time.

The estate was bought by a Colonel John Cokerell on his return from India and work on the house was completed by his brother and another family member after he died. The Indian influence extends to the garden which has an amazing tennis pavilion and bridge (sadly, the Nandi bulls that decorate it are frequently stolen!).

It was a wet day when we visited and rain is on my lens in this picture of the famous Sezincote Orangery.

The house is only open Thursday, Fridays and Bank Holiday Mondays. It costs £6 per person to visit the house and gardens (price as of 2006). This wesbite has opening times and a map.

Comments