Wyck Hill House Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Wyck Hill House Hotel

Great value, loved it

by TripAdvisor Member Kathrynp

On reading some earlier reviews I wasn't too sure what to expect, but have to say I was absolutely delighted. My partner and I only stayed for one night and arrived fairly late. The house is indeed very old, and the decor in the main house is old and quaint and could do with a lick of paint, but it's certainly not lacking character.
Our room, in total contrast, was stunning. Very modern with huge double windows that overlooked wonderful Cotswold views. Our room and bed were enormous and supremely comfortable, and the bathroom was very modern, clean and spacious.
Breakfast in the morning was taken in the conservatory overlooking the hills, and the food and staff were both excellent.
I would definitely stay there again, although having read other opinions I would ask to stay in the main house and not the Orangery.

Beautiful House, Needs updating & different staff!

by TripAdvisor Member awilli43

Booked hotel to celebrate my fiance's birthday. Was quite expensive at £290 for one evening for a junior suite (room 19) including dinner and breakfast.

The house is fantastic, the setting beautiful, but it really is falling from grace quickly. My room was a junior suite. Very large, all the conveniences you would expect but clearly not maintained for a very long time. The shower empties onto the floor, the kettle flex was not long enough to reach the table so had to sit on the floor, the paintwork was old and peeling & the floorboards in the corridor upstairs creaked and bashed.

The staff generally leave a lot to be desired. No clear leadership, poorly turned out, not enough of them & those that were there didn't really know what they were doing.

The food is the highlight. Dinner and breakfast were excellent & the staff in the restaurant attentive.

Strangely however, I had a really nice stay - must have been the company !

My advice is to wait several months for the refit to finish.

A Building Site!

by TripAdvisor Member NW6_Traveller

Avoid at all costs until the new wing has been completed and existing rooms have been renovated. A friend had stayed here 5 years ago on his anniversary and spoke very highly of it. Upon his recommendation, my wife and I decided to visit for a relaxing long weekend. I phoned and booked for 3 nights @ £290 per night on a Dinner and B&B basis. This was basis a "junior suite"

Upon arrival we found the place more like a building site than a hotel and the rooms we were offered were unkempt and tatty. The fact that we were not told this when booking implies that the place is being run by very cynical management.

Initially they tried to place us in a "Cottage" away from the hotel. A friendly and cheerful South African guy carried our luggage for us, which is just as well as it was a long walk not helped by the fact they had just re-numbered all of the rooms so he could not find our “Cottage” The room was dilapidated, had stains on the carpet and cigarette burns on the tatty, cheap furniture, the lamps were not working. The pathway and stairs consisted of a slippery metal “grid similar to those seen in US sitcom fire escapes. Initially, we were so shocked that we just dumped our luggage and sat down. Once the shock had worn off, we came to our senses and advised reception that the room was totally unacceptable.

I asked for something in the main house that approximated what we were paying for (remember this was costing us £290 a night). Reception agreed and we had to maneuver our car through the building site, persuading the guys working there to move from the road so we could complete our journey back to the main house. The alternative room was right at the top of the building, literally next to the new wing they are adding (i.e. next to a building site) had dirty windows, flies in it, tatty carpet etc. etc. There was also painting and sanding going on near to the room which meant there was a stink of paint right outside our room.

We decided to leave there and then, advising the receptionist that it was not going to be acceptable to us. She did offer to contact the manager for us, but we had already seen enough.

Comments