Selsdon Park & Golf Course

Addington Rd, Sanderstead - South Croydon, Croydon, Surrey, CR2 8YA, United Kingdom
Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club
Agoda.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Selsdon Park & Golf Course

Nice grounds but needs updating

by TripAdvisor Member Regular_site_user

I stayed here for 5 days in May for a residential training course. The building and grounds are lovely, though Croydon itself a bit unthrilling. Unfortunately it rained most of the time so we didn't get out much, though there's some nice walks nearby including a wildlife park and woods. Breakfast and dinner were generally good though the buffet lunch less so. Bedrooms were comfortable, but my colleagues who used the gym found old machines, two out of three treadmills out of order. I had a swim in the indoor pool which is of good size for a hotel pool, but strange design so you end up swimming circles round a central area. The bar area was quite scruffy and reeks of cigarettes.

Like most places there is room based internet access for £15 a day.

A DREADFUL EXPERIENCE

by TripAdvisor Member UKTravellers89

Beautiful surroundings, lovely golf course, interesting building and super outdoor swimming pool. Thats the good news, now the bad.i) 1 1/2 hours just to order a meal! even then when asked to take an order for drinks, waitor brough 2 jugs of water and said thats all he could mange because they were off their feet! ii) When order taken, sirlion of beef ordered £5 supplement!!! - asked "can I have it rare?! reply - NO !!! we only serve it well done.. When it came you could see why. 2 miserable slices of pre cooked beef reheated which tasted about the same as the sole of my shoe. iii)Next day, no paper - they had problems with their delivery!! There was a Sainsburys at the bottom of the drive, but nobody had the the enterprise to go and buy some papers. iv) breakfast cold - eggs cold bacon cold, - asked for a fresh pot of tea waitress nsaid "Haven't you had enough?" - hopeless. Beautiful day so went to swimming pool, but told it didnt open till 11 am! Too late for us as we were going to a wedding. Arrived back in hotel at 3am. ordered a wake up call for 6.30 as returning to Chester for grandsons christening. Receptionist was showing new member of staff how to log a wake up call on system -- surprise surprise, they forgot!!. Then said that as it wasnt on the systeml, we hadnt booket, even though the lasy who took out instruction was sat next door to her v) Got to breakfast thinking that at least we would have a hot meal. No such luck!! Eggs stone cold bacon stone cold. When complained, waitor sticks fingers in yolks of 3 or 4 eggs and said " You will have to wait ten minutes for the copper salamanders to heat up!!!!! Unbelievably, the trays of fried eggs were pre cooked and placed cold with other cold foods into these heated vessels. Clearly cluelless re health risks of re heated food. vii) Lots more but you get the message. AN ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS MANAGEMENT TEAM who were conspicuous by their absence. If you are thinking of staying here you must be very brave or desperate. Huge supplements for lousy food. cheap foreign staff with no apparent training or interest. Ill have to stop or I'll lose the will to live

It was fun but a bit of a wedding/prom factory

I spent the evenings of June 1 and 2 at this hotel as I was attending a wedding nearby. Nice sized very large room was assigned to me as I had paid for the Executive Room - well worth it. No air conditioning and it was very hot. Hotel staff were just fine. Nothing special. I would go to the bar/pub and get a glass of wine and take it to the nicer terrace where service was non-existent and enjoy it there. My 3 a.m. wake up call came without a glitch but I have to admit I was concerned. Taxi service used by the hotel was outstanding, if not very expensive. I did use the poorly publicized free hotel transportation to the train station on my first morning and appreciated that.

What I disliked was the atmosphere of lots of events - a wedding and a prom. Event attendees seemed to have open access to the guest hallways and I often heard shouting and screaming at 2 a.m. and throughout the night by partygoers having fun. Noise from the music could easily be heard in my room but I was tired and tuned it out and did not lose sleep over it.

If the need takes me to this suburb of London again, this hotel would be just fine again. Nothing to look forward to but also nothing to dread. Price is fairly reasonable and it serves its purpose.

very dated and impossible to get any sleep in the summer, nice drive and views

by TripAdvisor Member SteffiLondon

I was pleasantly surprised when coming up the drive towards the hotel which looked beautiful from the distance on a sunny day.
When we checked in we were a bit disappointed that there was no minibar and no air con, but all in all the room was decent.
We attended a wedding nearby and when we came back to the hotel at around midnight another wedding party was having drinks in the bar. Soon more and more guests returned to the hotel from the other wedding and helped themselves to snacks from the buffet right next to the bar entrance not realising that it belonged to the other wedding. This could have been organised better by the hotel by marking a reserved area or so.

The next morning we had breakfast in the restaurant with great views over the golf course. Most people looked quite shattered, maybe from having had too much to drink the night before, but mainly because of the lack of sleep. A friend slept in the bathtub because it was a bit cooler, the bedrooms were sizzling hot and it got very uncomfortable in the night.

We enquired about a late check out until 2pm, the hotel charges £10 per hour (check out time is 11am).

Afterwards we had a dip in the outdoor pool which was great. Pity about the outdoor changing facilities though.

The hotel must have been great a long time ago and it's a shame that not much is being done to maintain it. I would not come back.

Wedding Parties Avoid This Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member business444

How do they get away with it?
A useful location for airports, road and rail links around London, nice setting in grounds, golf course etc but all let down by possibly the poorest managed hotel it has ever been my bad luck to stay in.
Once through the perfectly acceptable reception various smells greet visitors to the bar or lounge areas all indicative of less than thorough cleaning.
We got to the hotel late so the first meal we had was breakfast, or rather it would have been our first meal if we were prepared to countenance a 20 minute wait (other guests told us 40 minutes was a more realistic estimated waiting time). We drove into Croydon for breakfast. Same experience the next day- unbelievably bad organisation as even from the lengthy queue you could see empty tables.
We left our room all day but when we got back that evening (about midnight) it had not been cleaned, no bed made or towels replaced etc.
A wedding party was going on during our stay so i guess the place was quite busy although that hardly forgives the failings of this hotel.
As we were leaving we witnessed the newlyweds and various guests complaining to the hotel reception about the poor service they had experienced.
Avoid!

Awful and overbooked

by TripAdvisor Member NogUk

Awful. Overbooked - as a result of which the hotel thought it would be ok to put adults attending the same business function together - sharing rooms. At least they paired up same sex room sharers! Some had to be ferried to neighbouring hotels and the taxi drivers said that this was a regular occurrence and good business for them. Altogether awful, badly handled and the sight of a cockroach on the wall in the bar meant that several people just could not eat the food.

Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lillibett

It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life,and to say they ruined our daughters 40th birthday celabrations is an understatement!!
We spend our leaving morning joining the cue with other guests to complain.Interestingly there were no hotel managers ever available,shame on them i say!
It is very badly run down- and the facilities we booked for were out of use,plus the golf course is in a very poor state and needs money spending on it!
Finally dont go in the restaurant if you can help it ,as it is cheaper to book a pantomime!!you could sit all day and would not be asked if you want tea coffee toast etc ,you will find yourself jumping up and down looking for staff,and all you hear are other cutomers complaining about the shambles!!
This hotel needs closing NOW and proper managagement with money to invest needs to take it in hand,i would advice people to go somewhere else and not waste their money;Shame on the Management of this hotel!!

Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member hotelqueenNpton

I stayed at this hotel on sat 11.08.07 and this is the worst experience of my life. The customer service was awful, i was spoken down to, and short changed on room service.
Dont go to this hotel!

Unbelievable

by TripAdvisor Member diablevert

Where do you start!
No towels in the room, complete with mouldy window frame.
Room service 50minutes and a piece of cake left to melt in the midday sun.
Food and service in restaurant not to ****star service.
Farmhouse cheeses akin to cheddar, stilton and brie: industrial size.
Not even any pepper in the mill.
A restaurant with 70+covers and goodness knows how many moaning.
Could not even supply Sunday paper without making a cock up of it.
Don't even expect to be asked if 'everything was OK with your stay' because likely you would be in the queue with most other guests complaining.
Feeling was, we have had your money now get out!

Shame and Horror

by TripAdvisor Member SaniLondon

How can this shambles which calls itself an hotel still be allowed to stay open? Shame, really, because the location is beautiful but the rest is just a mess. At the beginning of our stay the jacuzzi was closed because somebody cut their foot open as the tiles were all coming off. The sauna and steam room which we were really looking forward to were both not working and I understand have been closed for a few months. There was a smell of urine coming from the shower outside the sauna and steam rooms. The men's changing room was closed and the swimming pool was overflowing. Trying to find somebody to complain too was like looking for a needle in a haystack, actually talking to somebody who cared even more of an impossibility. Shouldn't some kind of inspector be visiting this "hotel"? What a horrible mess they have made of such a beautiful historical building! Whoever is responsible should be shot at dawn!

Comments