Thistle London Heathrow

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• leics's Profile Photo

Very convenient for T5.

The Thistle is a reasonably-priced place (for a UK airport hotel) offering parking deals.

I stayed one night, left the car on site and then collected it on my return.

The hotel is in the 'village' of Longford, which has a couple of pubs (it was too cold and dark for me to explore very much). It's on the Hoppa bus routes but the ordinary buses stop nearby too. Bus to T5 takes about 7 minutes.

Heathrow is weird, because ordinary buses are free within its area.....so you can, for example, catch the 423 from outside T5 and get to the hotel for nothing. Or you can pay 4GBP and catch the Hoppa buses (to all terminals) from directly outside reception.

The hotel itself is fine. Long corridors on two floors, clean basic rooms with en-suite, ironing board, hairdryer, safe, TV, tea & coffee-making facilities (I did not find these but was later told they were hidden away in a drawer). The rooms are well-glazed, so aircraft noise is minimal...but the heating/air conditioning unit in my room was pretty noisy. Ear plugs are always such a boon!

But for one night, it was clean, comfortable and perfectly adequate. The English breakfast is over-priced at 15+GBP...much better to get the bus to the airport and have breakfast there. Bar food was also rather expensive (as one might expect) but adequate.

Staff were pleasant and helpful, and all facilities were clean.

So.....a hotel one chooses for its convenience factor rather than any other reason. But convenient it is, and it suited me.

Apologies for the lack of photos..too dark, too cold, too tired. :-)

Directions: Get directions from the hotel website.

More about Thistle London Heathrow

First, try and find it...

by TripAdvisor Member CazFrance

Impossible to find, impossible to park, they don't answer the phone (when you are doing your third tour of Bath Road, assuming wrongly that they would have a sign up), long queues in Reception. A young man on the desk who says "I don't do checkins" but maybe he should learn. Freezing cold rooms, you are expected to switch on the very noisy fan heater yourself. Breakfast is served upstairs and miles from anywhere. Shall I go on? This place is only good value if you pay under £50 a night, know where it is and have thermal pyjamas. Never again.

by TripAdvisor Member GuruOfAudio

Probably the worst hotel I've staid outside of Eastern Europe before the Wall came down. Located on "old" Bath Road behind a gas station the reception is dingy, staff overwhelmed, dark dank corridors lead to rooms heated by an inadequate blower fan, well worn mattress with thin bed sheets, bathroom has seen better days. Breakfast is almost as difficult to find as the hotel. A Hoppa bus runs to the hotel and is probably the only way to get to and from the place, parking is close to impossible. There are other hotels locally that are the same price and offer much warmer accommodation. Not recommended at any price.

Don't stay here

by TripAdvisor Member dotcom

Ok so you can get a good rate with parking included (if you can find a space).

Check in is slow and you will have to queue for several minutes whilst behind the counter are 8 people, half not doing anything! Checkout is equally poor - at 7am there were 9 people behind the desk, but only 2 actually checking people out?! When asked why I was told the others either couldn't do it - so why are they there? Or they had not started their shift yet - great customer experience Thistle!

The rooms stink of damp and are filthy, beds old and uncomfortable, heating from ancient blow heaters which are noisy.

The restaurant is expensive with terrible service and the bar is hidden away across the darkened breakfast room with a blaring TV and serves warm beer - nice!

Do not be fooled by the cheap price and offers all over the internet for this property, pay a little extra for a far better nights sleep!

Rude staff - not a good experience!

by TripAdvisor Member silvergirlracer

We stayed here for one hight before departing for our honeymoon. Check in was horribly slow. The girl who checked us in was exceptionally rude. We booked a double room well in advance but she tried to palm us off with a twin. I tried to explain it was effectively our honeymoon but she was unmoved and totally dismissive. Eventually got a double room after much protesting but her manners were just shocking. It put a complete dampner on what had been a lovely wedding weekend.
Room was okay. Parking at the hotel is bad. No spaces left so we had to park on double yellow lines in a darkened corner of the hotel. Restaurant very expensive and the only saviour was a Mcdonalds a short walk up the road. My advice, do not stay longer than one night.

filthy, dirty and freezing cold - worst stay ever!!!!

I had the opportunity to stay here on a concession basis as im a travel agent by trade - I can quite catogorically say it was the worst room i have ever stayed in in my life and certaining not worth the alleged 4 star rating it is supposed to have - after probably doing enough circuits to warrant a grand prix race of the car park and finally tracking down that illusive space i checked in - here my nighmare began they dont take electron, they dont take travellers cheques - yes they do take cash - however the ATM is broken and they have no idea when it will be fixed. my room was dusty, dirty and downright filthy i asked for a family room and was put on the top floor of a block withoiut a lift and no porterage was offered - i am still waiting for the explanation on how that is practical with a very ratty 2 yr old and 5 pieces of luggage. we visted the bar we were served by a very unwilling unmotivted barman who informed us they dont sell snacks (ie NO crisps, nuts etc) oh, and if you like lemon in your G&T you will be sorely disapointed as they dont do lemons either!!!) we awoke the next moring to sub zero temperatures and the air froze our breathe as we spoke. manager could offer no explantion apart from helpfully advising is the heater was broken (really!!) i expected a 4star hotel with 4 star service - what i got was a lot of aggravation, rude staff and a chest infection - and yes you can all take solace in the fact i will not be recommending this to any of my clients and doing my upmost to get this seedy establishment downgraded to the 1star rating it deserves - PS they also wont tell you about the NIGHTCLUB which is on site - BE WARNED IF YOU STAY OVER A WEEKEND

Avoid like the plague

We stayed here prior to flying out to New York on March 14 - all the previous trip advisors have summed this place up - tiny rooms with paper thin walls - a degree in thermo dynamics MAY help you in getting the heating system to work. Extortinate prices for food and drink in a resteraunt that looks like it came straight out of Tesco's - melamine tables and hard chairs - £15 for fish and chips! OUCH! Forget it - go elsewhere. We had a 5am leave for our flight - so went to bed early - fire alarm - the LOUDEST I have ever heard - went off for 5 blasts - checked with the alarm details on the door - this meant there MAY be a problem. There wasnt - but took us another 2 hours to get back to sleep. Plus - a pint in the bar is in excess of £3. It's a dive - avoid it.

One Night at the Thistle

by TripAdvisor Member qxhsthdh

Three of us stayed in 2 rooms at the Thistle Hotel for the night of 8th April 2005. We arrived at 10pm, in a bit of a hurry to park and check in before last orders are taken in the restaurant at 10.30pm. Parking was very difficult, we finally had to dump the car in a restricted area but without blocking anyone in (the next morning I noticed that some cars were parked right in front of the reception building, in an area restricted for fire-engines in case of a fire!). Check-in was quite slow too, but I was finally attended by a pleasant young woman. I was offered the choice of a double or twin, smoking or non-smoking. I took a non-smoking twin and just had time to leave my luggage in the room before joining my friends for dinner at the restaurant. The room was fine, not in any way luxurious, but not at all like the rooms described by other reviewers. It seemed clean. The beds and bed linen were spotless, the TV worked well and the bathroom was bright and clean. We arrived at the restaurant, in an open area near reception, just in time to order. The staff were pleasant and attentive and the food was fine - neither better nor worse than you could expect in this type of place - although clearly overpriced. After dinner we went to the bar, which closes at 1.00am. It's quite difficult to find - you have to walk a long way, going through the freezing breakfast room to get to it. The bar itself is dreadful. It was dirty and noisy - a real dump. Drinks there are amazingly expensive - 5 pounds for a glass of wine and 3.5 pounds for a beer! At the bar there was a group of chain-smoking beer-swilling foul-mouthed men and women. Dreadful. If you fancy an after-dinner drink go to an off-licence and get some cans of beer and a bottle of wine, invest in a couple of plastic cups and a cork-screw and have it in your room!
I asked for a wake up call as I had to take an early flight the following morning (yesterday, so all this is fresh in my memory). I slept well although the room was a little cold. The wake up call came from the phone and via the TV. The shower worked very well. The water was abundant and hot. Back down the long corriors from my ground floor room to the reception area to check out with no problem at all. There was an argumentative man in front of me who was squabbling over nothing but the receptionist seemed a bit lost in how to deal with him. I'm not sure how far the Thistle chain goes when it comes to staff training. Anyway, there were free newspapers at the reception and I went outside to wait for the shuttle bus which runs every 15 minutes or so to Terminals 1, 2 and 3 (for Terminal 4 get off at Terminal 1 and take the free Heathrow Express train). The bus driver was very pleasant and helped people with their luggage - a good service.
Overall, would I stay at this hotel again? Probably not, as there are a lot of similar places to try nearby - many advertising prices of around 50 pounds per night for a double (I paid 53 pounds at the Thistle). The big let-down was the bar. Having said that the place is fine for a night's sleep if you are at Heathrow. Thistle will have to sort out the parking problem and spend some real cash soon to do the place up, though.

Somewhere to sleep!!

by TripAdvisor Member BigHouseBob

Stayed here for one night prior to flying to the USA for 3 weeks.

Booked an inclusive accommodation/parking package.

Finding it was our first problem. Check in was a nightmare, took over 40 minutes at 10:30 at night. They need to sort the queuing system out.

The non smoking family room was a smoking twin, although they did change - lucky I asked before I got the key. Room was OK - well insulated and very hot.

Finding a aprking spot was difficult. Our secure parking was off site in an official car park (BCP I think). The only problem was the hotel only covered 15 nights parking, we had to pick the remaining tab up on return. Unfortunately, although I had agreed a price with the car park they refused to honour it. So it cost me a packet.

Dirty, Cold, terrible breakfast, otherwise good

by TripAdvisor Member johnscott

If you want to feel the cold and damp of England in the Spring, with a sunken matteres stay at the Thistle, dinner wasn't too bad, but definately would not recommend, it will put you in a bad mood, especially if your jet lagged out

Hotel accommodation

by Britannia2

I need to stay one night in January at Heathrow - I will be booking in at T3 at 08.00 the next morning. I do not want to pay too much - Travel Lodge or similar would do. I am also taking the tube from Kings Cross to get there so basically somewhere convenient for the tube station and T3. Any suggestions?

by johngayton

Travelodge at Heathrow Central should have rooms at £19 in January. It's not convenient for the tube though but you can go into Heathrow and get the Hoppa shuttle to and from the hotel's front door - £4 each way with a travel time of about 15 minutes. The hotel has its own cafe bar and there are plenty of local shops, takeaways etc withing easy walking distance.

I got in late evening with an early-ish flight out and had no problems.

by johngayton

BTW the £19 rate requires 21 days advance booking.

by leics

You'll need to take the Hoppa bus to T3, I think, so you'll need a hotel on a Hoppa route (or be prepared to pay for a taxi).

I've booked at the Thistle just before Christmas, which is on the 'Hoppa' route for T3 etc. 69GBP for one night + 8 days parking (nothing very cheap near Heathrow, I'm afraid).

Useful comparative hotel info here:

by puerto_lover

Have a look at Days Inn, Hounslow. Room for under £40 with early reservation. Take the tube from Kings X (Piccadilly Line) all the way to Hounslow Central and walk to hotel. Journey time around one hour.
In morning take the tube the short distance into the Heathrow station for Terminal 3. Journey time around 15 minutes.

by Britannia2

Days Inn seems a good idea and the rooms are good value so I will book there. Thanks to all.

by dj2ball

There are lots of hotels that might be suitable for you - Have a look at [www]carparkingheathrow[net]/hotels and have a look, I booked there last week. Some useful reviews on there + a price comparison thingy!

Comments