196 Bishopgate

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about London

Marble ArchMarble Arch

The best guide: AdamThe best guide: Adam

There are so many flowers in Hyde Park.There are so many flowers in Hyde Park.

Our photo in front of Big BenOur photo in front of Big Ben

Training in Threadneedle Street? Where to Stay?

by Khurram73

Guys

I am finally coming to London in early November. It was my old dream to visit this great historical city. I do have a training in IBM UK office which is located at Threadneedle street...

I do know that threadneedle street being main business center of London is very expensive place to stay.. as i am planning to bring my family with me so i am looking for some bidget hotel in safer area where i can leave my family...

Now question is which area to select? My idea is that to find some hotel in nearby area from where i can take train and come to training every day... But which area would be Ok for me ? What about " Business Design Center " area where i am able to find some budget hotels but dont know how much is the distance and travelling time to threadneedle street?

I need advices from my London residents on this subject.

Thanks in advance!!

by goodfish

Congratulations on your upcoming adventure!

A little more info may help? How large is your family, what are their ages, and how long are you staying? It could very well be that renting an apartment vs a hotel room might be more economical. It would provide more space plus a kitchen for making breakfast and lunch - which would stretch your budget. It may also provide laundry facilities, which can be useful when traveling with children.

by cubsur

You are correct that Threadneedle Street is in the very centre of London. Therefore you can choose to travel by train from almost anywhere within, shall we say 1 hour journey. That will include the whole of Greater London and places up to 30 - 40 miles distant. I hope IBM will be paying your train fares, as railway travel in UK can be VERY expensive on commuter lines such as those serving London. Also for hotel, as London is one of the most expensive cities on earth.

The Business Design Center you mention is in the district of Islington. This is only 2.5 miles/4 kilometers from Threadneedle Street and is quite possible one of the most expensive areas of London.

I worked in London for 35 years and know many areas. Let us have some more information about your situation and we can try to help.

by cubsur

Sorry I should have added that you can calculate travel times on the website of www.tfl.gov.uk the transport website for London.

That journey from Islington to Threadneedle Street is about 30 minutes by bus.

by leics

You can indeed travel to Threadneedle from anywhere within Greater Ldondon, so no problems there.

I suggest you have a look at the Travelodge hotel chain. They have several hotels in London, have family rooms and are perfectly clean and acceptable (although a bit soul-less). They also do very good advance deals on occasion:

Their Aldgate East, Covent Garden or Euston hotels would be ok for you to travel by Tube/bus and also good bases for your family to explore whilst you are at work.

by Khurram73

Hi Guys,

I am finally able to find a budget hotel in area of llford.It is around 200m distance from Grants Hill Station? Is that area safe to stay? As i would be attending training in day time ( for atleast first 4-5 days ) and family will be alone at hotel, is it a safer area where family and kids can move around in my abasence as well?

Please advice?

Thanks

Travel Tips for London

Passes May be a Worthwhile Investment....

by jne7299318

British Heritage Passes are available in the United States. The pass provides free entrance into more than 600 historic houses, castles, and gardens throughout England and Scotland. The are several types available. Depending on how many historical sights and castles you plan to see, as well as how long you are planning to visit, you might want to look into them. London Tower reduces admission to 1/2 price, other properties admit for free.

( This link takes you to New York store)

www.visitbritain.com
(Main website)

London Tip

by angelodonni

The greatest memory of London is how diverse the cultures are. As it has so many races of people living here and visiting the place, the experience is like no other European capital that I've ever been to.

British humour :)

by Jenniflower

I really enjoy the dry wit than many English people possess. A play on words is also well received.

What I do NOT appreciate is the blaspheming and need to swear that I find in London (this comes from people from all nationalities, not only Londoners please note, and MANY Londoners I know do not swear at all).

I find the blaspheming insulting. Swearing is also not liked but I try and ignore it as much as I can. To each their own.

Anyway, that's my own outlook on language in London! :) The wit is generally great though!!!

Charlie Chaplin Monument

by Mariajoy

A statue to the king of the silent movie Charlie Chaplin stands quietly in the middle of Leicester Square. Charlie Chaplin was born in London in 1889 and was orphaned at the age of 5. At 17 he moved to America - and the rest is history! He died in 1977 and the statue by John Doubleday was unveiled in 1981.

Charlie Chaplin History

Phones in London

by deecat

When I was in London, they were just beginning to replace the old, lovely red phoneboxes with the new, modern ones. It saddened me.

The Phoneboxes (In America, we call them Phonebooths), are abundant in London. They are usually on most street corners. As I said, there are two kinds: the old red ones and the new silver ones.

Most of the phoneboxes take coins and cards, but read carefully to make sure.

You are able to purchase the phonecard (British Telecom Phonecard) at newsstands and post offices.

Emergency: dial 999 or 112

For help, call the operator at 100.

Oh, yes, you usually are able to use your credit card to charge phone calls also.

Comments