Abbey House Hotel

11 Vicarage Gate, Kensington, W8, London W8, Londo

More about Abbey House Hotel

Fine hotel, great location

by NedHopkins about Hilton London Green Park Hotel

For the U K -- indeed for Europe -- our room in the Hilton Green Park was large and comfortable. It included a (real) double bed with nightstands and a sitting area with easy chair, sofa, tables (3), a chest-of-drawers with room safe and mini-bar built in and TV set on top. The bathroom was small, but included a tub-shower combination and many amenities.

The location is prime: a ten-minute walk to Piccadilly Circus, even closer to an Underground station, and within walking distance of Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square. It is also close to some fine restaurants and good shopping. The Green Park Underground station is a major hub, allowing single-fare trips to the British Museum, the Tower of London, and other attractions.

The hotel is not cheap: we paid £220,50 (about US$420) a night. And its buffet breakfast costs an exorbitant £19. The hotel was created out of several townhouses built in the 1730s. The various levels inside reveal its heritage.

The Green Park's 'business centre' includes only one (1) computer. The charge for an hour on the internet is a whopping £8.

One unpleasant feature was the air conditioner. It was a mobile thing with a large hose that went out a partially opened window. (No other room on the ground floor, where we were, opened onto the area from and into which our a/c derived and exhausted its air.)

Cosy hotel in great location !

by TripAdvisor Member LudoSwitzerland

We stayed at Hilton London Green Park for two nights in August 2005. We had booked two deluxe rooms through Hilton internet page and got a great offer (£ 129.50 per room per night, VAT and breakfast buffet included). The room was large and very nicely decorated (white beds, light brown carpets and chairs) and the bathroom was huge. Dinner on the first night was included and was very good, breakfast buffet was excellent, with plenty of choice to choose from. And location was great, only 50 meters from Piccadilly and 7 minutes from Piccadilly Circus, in a side street with little traffic. We were very pleased with this hotel, which was the best from the three hotels we stayed at in London (the two others were Sheraton Park Lane and Holiday Inn Mayfair). The only down point was the fact that the restaurant did not have enough room for all guests, so that we had to wait for ten minutes to have dinner on the first night and to have breakfast the second morning.

Excellent Experieince

by TripAdvisor Member JimandMarilyn

Having read several reviews before leaving for our trip and now all of them on return I find that a number of people had to be staying at a different Hilton Green Park. This was about our 8th trip to London in the past ten years and we have always stayed at different hotels in different locations. We would stay at the Green Park again in a moment! The location cannot be beat for what is offered in the immediate vicinity, and for the tube stop that is minutes away and has access to multiple lines, and especially for the street access to Picadilly Street and the theatre district a relatively short walk.
The hotel was like many others in the London area, a series of buildings now linked together. We found the facilities, lobby, restaurant, and common areas very clean and almost new.
I have to admit we used points to pay for the room and we did receive an upgrade to a large room in the front of the hotel. I will say that the noise from the street took a little getting used to, but the bed was so comfortable we had no trouble sleeping. The room was very nice, not overly done and the bathroom was very large. We found the staff to be extremely friendly, they were constantly checking to be sure we were happy. The front desk was friendly, we had to wait for a room as we arrived at 9:00AM (we knew this would happen) but they had one for us in the early afernoon. All in all we would not hesitate, and in fact will return to this hotel.

Would not stay again

by TripAdvisor Member gktraveler

I stayed one night on business and was not favorably impressed. The room was small with a twin bed and was very cold (stayed 3/9/05). When I called the front desk to ask for several blankets, the person who delivered them asked if I had another person in the room with me! The bathroom was very clean and looked newly renovated. I found the staff to be indifferent, at best, and even on check-out was not asked how my stay was. I would not stay again.

Not great.

by TripAdvisor Member Leatherman

I really cannot believe all the four and five star postings. But before I rant I must divulge that we stayed there using Hilton points...so it didn't cost us anything. The only reason I could think of for the high ratings is price.

This was a nice hotel forty years ago. It is essentially four or five buildings stuck together to form a hotel. Yes, the location is good. But the shabby lobby, dark and narrow halls, tiny rooms, no air conditioning, etc., do not make up for location.

There is a very good Italian restaurant around the corner; Pappagallo. Expensive, like everything in London. Just grit your teeth and pay.

Excellent Choice

by TripAdvisor Member LINDYLOOScunthorpe

Myself and my husband have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years on our weekends to London. We would recommend it to anyone. The location is perfect.
They usually do special weekend deals that are very good value. The staff are very polite and professional. The rooms, although small(ish), are very
comfortable. The breakfast (which is buffet style) is the best we have ever had in any hotel.
One small negative point, is the excessive bar prices,
but this seems to be the way with most hotels.
Will definately stay there again.

My glass is always half full, is yours half empty....

Good room at the back of the hotel.
Bar prices are bar prices in hotels, you have to accept that...if not drink somewhere else!
Breakfast was the standard Hilton breakfast and as such was a good standard. Front of house staff were very polite and helpful as you would expect. Would stay again as good location. Just ask for a room at the back as I think that will impact on the noise levels.

Very satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member heatheruth

We stayed here for a 3-day break between Christmas and New Year and were very pleased. We were on a bargain break deal and expected we might get an inferior room, but although it was pretty small, it was quite adequate and well appointed, with a good bathroom. We liked the decor in the public areas and the whole place had a very cosy, English feel to it. The buffet breakfast was really excellent, as was dinner in the restaurant. Drink prices are too high but only to be expected in central London. Also, the Concierge service was first rate, with really friendly, knowledgeable advice. Finally, what a location! Would definately go back.

Garner's hut - Soho GardensGarner's hut - Soho Gardens

Air Guitar competition, East London, UK.Air Guitar competition, East London, UK.

Ramesses II StatueRamesses II Statue

Jeans or shorts.....Jeans or shorts.....

Roadside attractions between London and Scotland

by Neb2489

In May I will be going to London for a week, and then I will be continuing on to Scotland for another week. We have no set destination in Scotland, other than that we eventually want to get to the Isle of Skye. Does anyone have any recommendations on a route to take to Scotland, any places we should stop at on the way, or any specific places that we should go to once we get to Scotland?
Thanks!

by christine.j

If you plan to cross through Scotland, I can recommend visiting York and Durham, then up to Edinburgh, before going west to the Isle of Skye. All three are well worth spending some time there, but I think with only one week this will be too much.

If you want to go to the Isle of Skye sooner, what about staying in Chester? It's also a very interesting old town. From Chester you could also do a sidetrip into Wales, the Snowdonia area is great!

I usually take the train when travelling in the UK, but the few times we've rented a car it always took us far longer than we had planned because of the traffic.

by christine.j

I just saw that you're from the US. If you're not used to driving on the left side, add some more time to your travel schedule. At least in the beginning you'll be slower than usual.
If you want to rent an automatic car, book early. I usually drive shift, but for driving on the left side I find an automatic very helpful.

by royalstewart

Hi, If you purchase the book, Great Britain 2009 by Rick Steves, it has all the information that you will be looking for. www.ricksteves.com , transportation restaurants and accommodation, from London to Skye. If you manage to go to The Trossachs Scotland, Loch Lomond on the west bank of the Loch, there is a beautiful little town called Luss, the outside of the houses are usually covered in climbing roses, very picturesque looking. In the book it gives you the top places to visit museums castles etc, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Skye.

I'm just after buying the book myself for my trip in September. He also has a map in the book, with the driving distances and the time it will take you to drive. Scotland is very deceiving when looking at a map. In the north of Scotland to drive 90 miles it takes about 2.75 hours. Have a wonderful trip

Comments