Ambassadors Hotel

DAO's Profile Photo

LAMINATE PALACE

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 13, 2014

I found myself at the Ambassadors after my original hotel had a pipe burst. I was greeted warmly and my request for a quiet room was granted with a windowless room in the basement. This is fine with me as I just want a good night’s sleep. My room was small, but workable and everything was modern. The bed was good and I did get a reasonable sleep. I had a good TV, climate control, coffee/tea and the room and bathroom were of a high quality.

Like many full renovated hotels in London, rooms have probably been cut in half, thin walls erected and laminate flooring is everywhere. The Ambassador is no exception. This means that if you get the wrong neighbours beside and above you – you have problems. I have had plenty of drunken Flamingo Dance Troupes and middle aged German men who seem to have large Teutonic Church Organs for a nose and mouth. Between the walls shaking from their sneezing or the constant clearing of the throat – you start to realise homicide should be on the 24 hour room service menu. The hotel would make a killing. Pun intended.

I was lucky. The 2 old German guys (ok, maybe they were Austrian) who had nasal issues spared me until I woke up. My point is that if you are a sound sleeper, it’s a great hotel. If not, it’s a good hotel and you need to stand your ground with the neighbours. My rule is that I knock and speak to them once. The second time I ring reception to deal with. The 3rd time is me in reception with my luggage looking for another room or hotel.

So it’s an ok hotel and there are some good (and bad) restaurants nearby.

Unique Quality:

ROOMS:
• En-suite facilities
• Hair dryer, colour TV, telephone
• WIFI Internet Access
• Tea/coffee making facilities.

FOOD & DRINK
• The Gallery Breakfast Room - continental and full buffet breakfast
• The Peel Bar - Light meals & snacks 11 AM to 3 PM and 5 PM to 9 PM daily

Directions:
TUBE:
Earl’s Court and Gloucester Road ( Piccadilly Line and District Line)
HEATHROW AIRPORT:
Piccadilly to Earls Court

suvanki's Profile Photo

Cheapish central hotels in London

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 28, 2009

This was a reply to a Forum question re. cheap accommodation in London.

Have you looked at www.venere.com, booking.com. hostelbookers etc? I tend to look at these on line sites first, when I'm planning a European break for work or leisure.

I've stayed at The Royal National Hotel (Bedford Way),Telephone.44 207 637 2488 which is a huge hotel with budget rooms, very near Russell Street underground station. I paid £66 for a single room, which is very good for this area of London.

I also stayed at the Ambassadors Hotel (16, Collingham Road) (Kensington area)
You can book by phone - Central Reservations +44 (0) 20 7259 2888 or fax +44 (0) 20 7259 2999 www.crystalhotels.co.uk

These were good bases.

suvanki's Profile Photo

Recently refurbished Kensington bargain

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 3, 2006

I booked this online through www.venere.com

My Visit was November 2006

The Crystal group advertises itself as 8 Central London hotels "No Frills"- all inclusive rate with no added extras. (Check whether your price includes breakfast- as we would have had to pay extra - £5 for continental, £7 for cooked I think- we ate 'on the hoof' while rushing to Olympia)

4 of us were attending a conference at Olympia, and as this hotel was within walking distance and reasonably priced, I went ahead and booked 4 single rooms (with private bathroom) for £48 each! (Thursday night (November)

As there were 4 of us, we got a taxi from St Pancras Station. (ask for Ambassadors, Collingham Rd - There is another Ambassadors Hotel in Bloomsbury- not related)

Check in took a while - but was done politely- (foreign student undergoing training)
Pleasant reception area with comfy seating, papers, tourist info stuff) Juice bar and restaurant area.

There are 140 en-suite bedrooms, with satellite tv, telephone,hairdryer, tea/coffee making equipment.
Lift to all 5 floors
24 hour internet access in reception lounge.
No Smoking rooms.

For a nights stay, the hotel was fine - it is nicely decorated and furnished (recently refurbished).

My room was 'compact' but with satisfactory storeage space for an overnight/weekend stay.

The bathroom was also 'cosy' Bath with shower above, wash basin and toilet - The bathroom door was getting a groove, where it scraped against the toilet seat!!!

My only gripe was that the large swing windows in my room only opened about an inch, and were then quite difficult to close- I thought I'd not shut mine properly, as the traffic noise, and people passing below (I was on the 4th floor) kept me awake most of the night . (The hotel flyer states that it is in a relatively quiet location) So request back rooms, or bring ear plugs if You're a light sleeper!

Unique Quality: Good location for visiting the sights - 0.3 miles from Gloucester Rd tube station. 14 miles from Heathrow.

A few minutes walk from Earls Court Road, with plenty of restaurants, pubs, take aways etc.

A Good bargain, if you're using your room just for the night, or as a base for travelling around.
As expected for a 'bargain' hotel, the rooms are small - but clean and pleasantly decorated etc.
I thought that it was good value for the price we paid

Nearby Ambassadors Hotel

Amenities at Ambassadors Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Shuttle Service

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Department stores
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Architectural
Money Matters
Parks and Gardens
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Eating, Drinking and socialising
Gojo, Notting Hill
Chiquito, Leicester Square
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly