2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 36% more and rated 24% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

LAMINATE PALACE

I found myself at the Ambassadors after my original hotel had a pipe burst. I was greeted warmly and my request for a quiet room was granted with a windowless room in the basement. This is fine with me as I just want a good night’s sleep. My room was small, but workable and everything was modern. The bed was good and I did get a reasonable sleep. I had a good TV, climate control, coffee/tea and the room and bathroom were of a high quality.

Like many full renovated hotels in London, rooms have probably been cut in half, thin walls erected and laminate flooring is everywhere. The Ambassador is no exception. This means that if you get the wrong neighbours beside and above you – you have problems. I have had plenty of drunken Flamingo Dance Troupes and middle aged German men who seem to have large Teutonic Church Organs for a nose and mouth. Between the walls shaking from their sneezing or the constant clearing of the throat – you start to realise homicide should be on the 24 hour room service menu. The hotel would make a killing. Pun intended.

I was lucky. The 2 old German guys (ok, maybe they were Austrian) who had nasal issues spared me until I woke up. My point is that if you are a sound sleeper, it’s a great hotel. If not, it’s a good hotel and you need to stand your ground with the neighbours. My rule is that I knock and speak to them once. The second time I ring reception to deal with. The 3rd time is me in reception with my luggage looking for another room or hotel.

So it’s an ok hotel and there are some good (and bad) restaurants nearby.

Unique Quality:

ROOMS:
    • En-suite facilities
    • Hair dryer, colour TV, telephone
    • WIFI Internet Access
    • Tea/coffee making facilities.

FOOD & DRINK
    • The Gallery Breakfast Room - continental and full buffet breakfast
    • The Peel Bar - Light meals & snacks 11 AM to 3 PM and 5 PM to 9 PM daily

Directions:
    TUBE:
    Earl’s Court and Gloucester Road ( Piccadilly Line and District Line)
    HEATHROW AIRPORT:
    Piccadilly to Earls Court

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Cheapish central hotels in London

This was a reply to a Forum question re. cheap accommodation in London.

Have you looked at www.venere.com, booking.com. hostelbookers etc? I tend to look at these on line sites first, when I'm planning a European break for work or leisure.

I've stayed at The Royal National Hotel (Bedford Way),Telephone.44 207 637 2488 which is a huge hotel with budget rooms, very near Russell Street underground station. I paid £66 for a single room, which is very good for this area of London.

I also stayed at the Ambassadors Hotel (16, Collingham Road) (Kensington area)
    You can book by phone - Central Reservations +44 (0) 20 7259 2888 or fax +44 (0) 20 7259 2999 www.crystalhotels.co.uk

These were good bases.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Recently refurbished Kensington bargain

I booked this online through www.venere.com

My Visit was November 2006

The Crystal group advertises itself as 8 Central London hotels "No Frills"- all inclusive rate with no added extras. (Check whether your price includes breakfast- as we would have had to pay extra - £5 for continental, £7 for cooked I think- we ate 'on the hoof' while rushing to Olympia)

4 of us were attending a conference at Olympia, and as this hotel was within walking distance and reasonably priced, I went ahead and booked 4 single rooms (with private bathroom) for £48 each! (Thursday night (November)

As there were 4 of us, we got a taxi from St Pancras Station. (ask for Ambassadors, Collingham Rd - There is another Ambassadors Hotel in Bloomsbury- not related)

Check in took a while - but was done politely- (foreign student undergoing training)
    Pleasant reception area with comfy seating, papers, tourist info stuff) Juice bar and restaurant area.

There are 140 en-suite bedrooms, with satellite tv, telephone,hairdryer, tea/coffee making equipment.
    Lift to all 5 floors
    24 hour internet access in reception lounge.
    No Smoking rooms.

For a nights stay, the hotel was fine - it is nicely decorated and furnished (recently refurbished).

My room was 'compact' but with satisfactory storeage space for an overnight/weekend stay.

The bathroom was also 'cosy' Bath with shower above, wash basin and toilet - The bathroom door was getting a groove, where it scraped against the toilet seat!!!

My only gripe was that the large swing windows in my room only opened about an inch, and were then quite difficult to close- I thought I'd not shut mine properly, as the traffic noise, and people passing below (I was on the 4th floor) kept me awake most of the night . (The hotel flyer states that it is in a relatively quiet location) So request back rooms, or bring ear plugs if You're a light sleeper!

Unique Quality: Good location for visiting the sights - 0.3 miles from Gloucester Rd tube station. 14 miles from Heathrow.

A few minutes walk from Earls Court Road, with plenty of restaurants, pubs, take aways etc.

A Good bargain, if you're using your room just for the night, or as a base for travelling around.
    As expected for a 'bargain' hotel, the rooms are small - but clean and pleasantly decorated etc.
    I thought that it was good value for the price we paid

More about Ambassadors Hotel

Hotels near Gatwick and Sights of London!

by suvanki about Various

This is a reply to a Forum Question re someone arriving at Gatwick, and wanting a hotel near to the sights of London.

Hi! 3 hotels I've stayed in the past few years - nearest to Gatwick - Arora National at Crawley. I paid £48 for a single room plus £10 taxi from Gatwick to the hotel, by phoning the hotel to arrange this was cheaper than just getting a taxi from the airport. I was very impressed by my room, and the service I got. This is a hotel that has won awards for its outstanding customer service!

Royal National Hotel in W1, so pretty central for sightseeing,There is a ticket office in the hotel lobby for tours of London. Very reasonable prices - I paid £66 for a single room, with full English breakfast. Supermarket opposite is open til late at night. A pub is open in the hotel on the ground floor til late, so best to book a room anthe higher floors away from the noise.

Ambassadors Hotel in Kensington, again I only stopped 1 night (as with the above hotels). I paid £48 for a single room with bathroom - Breakfast is extra £5 continental, £7 for cooked English breakfast.

I'd also suggest Venere.com , Bookings.com or Hostalbookers.com etc for more ideas on hotels/hostels, B&B's etc.

Please visit my London and Crawley Hotels and Accommodations tips for more info, or feel free to contact me for more info.
Have A Great Trip!
Best Wishes,
Sue X

If only I knew before - DO NOT STAY HERE

Fortunately, I had found this website before our stay at Ambassadors for June 26 thru July 1, 2005. Unfortunately, it was after I booked/prepaid (penalty to cancel). So my 17 year old and I took all the comments in stride and decided to go ahead and give it a try. How bad could it be, I thought. Well, I wasn't disappointed as the room met the low expectation I had set based upon the comments from this website. However, I thought the bed bug comments from some guests were blown out of proportion. Little did I know ...

The last day I was there, I found 4 bugs on my pillow when I awoke. These were the same bugs I had previously discovered on the wall behind the bedpost. Not realizing what they were, I "removed" them and went on with life (so what's a little bug I thought). I am now undergoing steriod treatment in an attempt to rid my reaction to the bed bug bites on my arms, legs, hands, feet and back (10 days later, the reaction to these bites still persists... every morning I have new bumps to brag about). We just finished bagging of all of our belongings to kill anything that may have hitched a ride from their London breeding grounds - the Ambassadors Hotel. If only I had listened to my gut instinct after reading the reviews. Please don't make the same mistake I did - stay elsewhere and check this site before you book anything.

Best Dog Kennel We've Ever Stayed In !

The website we saw (still on-line to early June 2005 but now changed) said the hotel had been recently refurbished - well the foyer had been! Also the picture of the front of the hotel on that website was not of the building at Collingham Road.
On arrival we found they had lost our booking (which had been made about four or five months previously).
Our room was not a double as ordered but a twin room, and that given pretty grudgingly, staff a bit grumpy.
Dirty carpet, beds not properly made up in the morning - just the top sheet pulled up, and the bottom sheet left wrinkled and the pillow was left on the floor. Blankets were thin and obviously very old. Bedspread didn't appear to be very clean.
Cheap cardboard type furniture.
Inadequate lighting for applying make-up or for seeing anything.
Bathroom fittings were very dirty. However, the shower was good and hot.
No room to swing a mouse let alone a cat!
No storage space - might be fine for locals with an overnight bag but overseas travellers who may be away from home for weeks need space to store luggage.
Of the items advertised on the website we did have private facilities and there was a hair dryer. There were none of the other advertised features, e.g., refrigerator, mini-bar, safety deposit boxes, laundry facilities, iron, etc. and no book in the room advising of any facilities or nearby attractions.
The breakfast wasn't bad but the cutlery didn't appear to be very clean.
Definitely would not recommend to anyone. Budget accommodation should be budget in price - not budget in quality.

sauna room

was moved here from another hotel due to a problem looked very nice in lobby staff friendly got to our room bathroom clean beds seemed clean but the room was very very warm couldnt sleep in the bed sweat poured from us window was opened slighty but nailed shut at bottom. would not stay again there so beware if you get room 520 .cant fault breakfast excellent

Ambassador Hotel - average

We booked a room at the Ambassador Hotel and then happened to read the Trip Advisor reviews. After reading the comments made by some of the reviewers, we were a little concerned. However, our stay at the hotel was quite pleasant. The staff at the front desk were quite helpful.
The rooms are very small, especially when compared to hotel rooms in the US. My husband and I being overseas travellers, travelling for two weeks in Europe, we had two fairly large suitcases. We had to leave the suitcases lying on the floor - there was no closet big enough to hold the two of them. And with the suitcases on the floor, there was barely enough room for us to walk. The bathroom was also quite small; however the shower was good. Hot water and a good showerhead. The blinds also did not function well - we had to take them down just to open the window. On our very first day, the blinds had not been attached properly and landed on our heads as we tried to detach them.
The breakfast was quite good, though the price was a bit on the higher side. It was a continental breakfast buffet and the wait staff did an excellent job of treating customers politely and keeping the trays well-stocked.
The hotel is a 5 - 7 minute walk from the Earls Court tube station - very convenient. Gloucester station may have been closer - but we did not explore. There is also an internet place near the tube which was very convenient for us.
Overall, a pleasant experience. I would however stay at a different hotel the next time only because of the size of the room.

Worst Ever

by TripAdvisor Member Onwards

Public areas looked good - breakfast was passable - room was grubby and cold - for 3 nights the radiator did not heat at all despite complaints to reception - this was during a period when the forecast was minus 6 degrees centigrade - would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Do Not Stay Here

by TripAdvisor Member Mr. Oya

No Heat and no hot water, asked for a double bed got a single bed pushed together. The breakfast was not good either, if you need to stay in a cheap hotel, this is the place to go. I would pay the extra money to stay away from here.

Number 10 hotel Ambassedors hotel

by eiskje

Hi fellow VT-ers,

Did anyone ever stay in the Ambassedor Hotel (near Euston) or Number 10 hotel (near Baker street) And what is your verdict?
I am lookingfor a hotel suitable for a family trip, but not overpriced, friendliness is more appreciated than luxury, allthough en suite baqthroom is a must.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Number 10 hotel Ambassedors hotel

by leffe3

I haven't stayed there myself but friends have - the Ambassadors Hotel. Its pretty gross, I'm afraid to say. Euston area is not necessarily the best place to stay, especially with a family.

Re: Number 10 hotel Ambassedors hotel

by zuriga

If you're a family, think of renting a flat instead of staying in a hotel. It's usually cheaper and one can cook breakfast or other meals to save a few pounds. If you need the name of a nice place, let me know. I've stayed there a few times.

Re: Number 10 hotel or Ambassedors hotel

by eiskje

I mean the Ambassador hotel in Bloomsbury, and the Number 10 hotel in Bakerstreet.

We're traveling with my mother in Law, youngest on this trip is 21, so a different kinf of family,

Still not a good plan? It looks pretty nice on the pictures?

Comments