Ambassadors Hotel In Bloomsbury

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Ambassadors Hotel In Bloomsbury

At Bit Austere but not Bad especially for London

by TripAdvisor Member Déesse

This hotel was fine after I asked to have my room changed: Why is it, please do tell me, that automatically, when assigning a room, the reception staff give me a room facing a wall? This has been the case without exception. I stayed in 3 different hotels during this most recent visit to London, and without exception, the room I was given faced a wall, there is no other way to put it. In this particular case, I asked immmediately for a change, and I was given one, without question, which makes me wonder: is this the policy of these hotels -- see if the poor sucker accepts the worst room, and if not, no problem, change it.

Anyway, the second room was absolutely fine, a bit austere in decor, the bed and a plastic seat serving as furniture, but clean, comfortable and with a flat screen tv, not that there is anything to watch on British TV: if this is cable,there must be absolutely nothing with no cable.

Everything very modern, not a bad size room, but remember, I paid for a double, I know better now than to get a single unless a broom closet is what I want.

I have yet to find a hotel in London that gives value for money. This hotel was fine, I believe the best of the 3 I stayed in, but for 87 pounds excluding the taxes and charges, that is way over 200$ Cnd, no, sorry, it couldve been better.

great hotel

after staying in the worst hotel ever (the lonsdale just down the road)we relocated to the ambassador and the staff were delightfull the rooms spotless, the food to die for, in all a really nice hotel !!

Should have been better

The room was clean but that was really all it had going for it. Bed sheets were stained, surely they could have been bleached?!?!? Room was tiny, glad we only stayed for 1 night as not big enough for 2 adults to live for any longer period of time. Woken up by drilling and other noise from builders on site at 9am on Sunday morning. Won't be staying there agin.

Noisy, unclean hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member RAManc

This hotel looked great and very stylish from the website. However, on arrival, my work colleague and I witnessed a very different picture. There was a huge board covering the front of the hotel as it was undergoing building work. We told the receptionist our concerns about the drilling and general building noise, and they assured us we would not be able to hear the noise from our rooms. However, our rooms were right above the building work, and thus the noise was horrendous. We complained but were told there were no more rooms available. We both booked double rooms, yet my work colleague was presented with a single bed in his room. To top it off, when i arrived back to my room that evening at 1am looking forward to going to bed, i pulled back the covers to find a number of hairs in the bed! The sheets were obviously dirty. And at 9am the next morning, i was woken up by drilling and banging. I would definitly not stay at this hotel again. Avoid!

One of the worst hotels I have stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member quixotic_spider

I would definately not recommend this hotel at all. It is certainly not a 4 star hotel that it advertises itself to be.

Although pleasantly decorated, the rooms are extremely small. I had a number of problems whilst staying for 4 nights at this hotel for business:

1. When I returned back to the hotel on the second day, my room had not been made up and this was at 4pm. I asked the reception why this was, and their response was that the staff had been extremely busy. This is not acceptable at all -I cannot belive that the staff were so busy that the rooms could not be made up by late afternoon

2. The room was extremely noisy and there was a constant barrage of noise from the worksite. Constant drilling and banging till late in the day was extremely annoying. I complained to reception again who denied that they heard any noise -either extremely ignorant or just plain deaf as it was loud and clear!!

3. I ordered room service but had to wait over 1hr15min for the food. The food was overpriced anyway, not to mention that the breakfast price in the menu was incorrectly listed

4. The guest comment card in the room had been completed by the previus guest and obviously not been collected by the hotel staff. I did not request a comments card as I did not want to leave my details in the room for the next guest to find!!

5. The TV volume was restricted to a certain volume. This was extremely low and all very well if the noise from the work site below wasn't so annoying!!

6. The air conditioning in the room only went to a certain temparature. I was staying at the hotel during the hottest week of the year, and found the temperature unbearable. I didn't bother to complain as the hotel clearly had no clue about standards!!

7. The bathroom sink was so small it was unusable. I have no idea who's brilliant idea it was to place a shelf over a tiny sink, but this just it made it unusable!! Not designed very ergonomically at all.

I would not recommend this hotel at all...even if you are desparate for a hotel, avoid this one at all costs!!

Successful refurbishment

by TripAdvisor Member The_Sherriff

I suspect that the refurbshment programme has had a negative impact on this hotel, to judge from the previous reviews. I stayed there last week and was quite favourably impressed. Some of the public areas were still be worked on and the outside clearly has some way to go. However, I found my room to be clean and to make effective use of very limited space - a triumph of design for compactness. The rooms will feel small for North American travellers but they are comparable with others at this level in the London market and the attention to design makes them feel more spacious than they are. The handbasin in the shower room is indeed small - but I noticed that the toilets had a dual flush and I suspect that water conservation was very much in mind. This is likely to be a growing problem for all London hotels and the Ambassadors are simply ahead of the game. I did not find cleanliness a problem anywhere and the front desk were conspicuously pleasant and helpful. I would certainly use this hotel again, although the previous reviews are obviously a reason for some caution.

Under renovation...

by TripAdvisor Member Jose_L

As someone who stays in hotels for around 120 days a year, The reviews of this one are a little unfair - The refurbishment is looking stunning, though still underway, so I do feel the rooms are too pricey considering the residents are having to put up with it. The food is excellent and despite the above I keep returning rather than using the Radisson Edwardian. It's clean, rooms totally modern with DTV, and the staff very efficient. Exactly what business travellers need. I've stayed almost 30 times over the past few months and it's been nothing but superb.

noisy noisy hotel

by TripAdvisor Member name1234

On the positive side I found all of the staff very helpful; the room was newly decorated and wet room newly fitted with a good shower. It was also immaculately clean.

However the room was very small with very little room to walk around the bed. The bed may have been the lumpiest bed I have ever had the displeasure to sleep in.

The problems started when I tried to sleep. There is some kind of night light in the bathroom which couldn't be turned off, I tried everything including removing the power card. This would not be a problem if there was not a glass door between the bathroom and the bedroom which is directly opposite a mirror. Therefore the light reflected all around the room.

Then I had the loudest air conditioning/heating unit ever. And to top the above, everytime someone in the hotel used their bathroom it sounded like it was in the room as the water and sewage system was so noisy. This wasnt helped by the person in the room above me taking a shower at three in the morning.

I had breakfast in the restaurant. I didnt touch any of the hot food on the first morning as it didn't look appetising however this improved on the second day.

Will book again

by TripAdvisor Member uk1976

Summary: I'll be using the hotel again next time I go to London

My needs (so you know where I'm coming from): A one night stay in London and a mid range budget (£120 for one night) for business.

What I thought about it:
Location - great, 2 minutes walk from Euston (opposite Hilton). Busses outside went direct to most parts of London too
Building Presentation - Currently undergoing refurbishment, so mostly painted boards surrounding the construction area.
Reception - Very friendly, 2 staff on the desk both smiling and happy. Showed me to my room rather than just give directions (a nice touch I wasn't expecting). They were also smiling and happy when-ever I passed.
Room - Very Clean, modern style, recently refurbished, good lighting, good shower ('wet room'), plenty of towels, shampoo, dressing gown and slippers provided, hair dryer, shaver point, No trouser press, complimentary 1L bottle of water, Tea, Coffee, Chocolate Mints and Shortbread.
Free Wi-Fi connection throughout the hotel (numerous access points to ensure excellent coverage in the room)
Room Size - not big, but ample with two beds, very small wardrobe (perhaps 4 garments).
TV - I didn't have time to watch TV, but I'm not sure there were too many channels available other than the normal array of BBC, ITV, Radio etc.
Food - I didn't eat in the hotel (the option is available but I went to a restaurant for dinner and chose to get breakfast in the City).

Getitng better and better

by TripAdvisor Member charlieclown

I have now stayed at The Ambassadors 3 or 4 times in the space of about three months. When I first went I was pleasantly surprised by the place as the reviews on this site about the refurbishment indicated that it was a bit of a nightmare and that the rooms that had not yet been refurbished were very tired... but it wasn't as bad as I expected. But each time I have been the rooms have been better than the time before and as of my last visit the refurbishment seemed to be completed, there is now a tastefully furnished bar, the boxed-in entrance is now properly open, the list are working again.... it is excellent. But that doesn't really tell you much about the hotel itself, so here goes: the location is not great for shops, restaurants etc, but it is very close to Euston so its really easy to get about with this place as your base. The rooms are really nicely (and tastefully) decorated in a clean, trendy, modern style. Some of the larger rooms have bathrobes, slippers, etc. provided. Some of them are a little small (the rooms, not the bathrobes) but if you can get an upgrade then the amount of space is better than average.

The price varies from one week to the next so, as I am on a budget, I sometimes can't afford to book in here, but whenever the price drops below my magic £120 threshold, I book here without a moment's hesitation. The only downside is that the dining facilities are a bit underwhelming, I have only eaten breakfast here once and wasn't over impressed - it wasn't bad, it was just ordinary and not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel as it now stands. I like fresh, not tinned fruit, I like to have the tea and coffee made to order, not dumped out of machines etc.etc. But if you can cope with that then this place will do you fine. Forget any older reviews that had this place down as being in need of an upgrade - its happened now and the hotel is one of the best in its price bracket in London.

The Royal George pub - InteriorThe Royal George pub - Interior

Trafalgar SquareTrafalgar Square

Through the front gates..Through the front gates..

lots of nice boyz and girlzlots of nice boyz and girlz

Dilemma-need suggestions

by harrietholiday

Ok so I will arrive in Heathrow April 24, with a 2 day stop over onwards to Holland.
I am going to meet some family who live a bit outside London, but work "downtown"
Am all for spending some time in their area but would love to have a nigth out in London itself.
If I could suggest a plan, before arriving I think they may be up for it.
I have been to London before and did all the touristy things, loved every moment of it, but did not go out at night, this time around i would like to experience the nightlife. Our ages are in our 40's. Looking to go to fun pub interactive, can talk have a few laughs and maybe have a little dance somewhere, (not looking too much out of place age wise, we look younger than we are..not sure if that helps :) any food suggestions would be appreciated also... and time factor what time to go etc... any suggestions would be appreciated, what can I say am late bloomer, but have to have some motivation or suggestions to make it so....

by hawkhead

Whereabouts "outside" London do they live? It may be that a night out on the town may not be that feasible from where they are. I think you will probably have ore of an idea of how the typical local spends their time by having a night out in their local area - more locals, less, if any, tourists.

by SallyM

Yes, where you will be staying is relevant. If the last train back is around midnight (as it is where I live, 30 miles outside London) it might affect your options, unless you arrange to stay overnight in London.

By the way, we don't really use the word 'downtown' in the UK.

by harrietholiday

Ok you may be right ,they are close to Luton that is all I know, cause if I were to take the bus from Heathrow they would pick me up somewhere around Luton
Maybe it would be fun just to be at a local pub, in the grandscheme doesn't really matter where you are as long as the company is good.

Comments