Americana Hotel

DAO's Profile Photo

CAN'T COMPLAIN

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 18, 2013

I stayed one night at the Americana and it was very reasonable for a budget hotel in London. I had asked for a quiet room on a high floor not facing the main road. The hotel actually is on a road which is relatively quiet at night, but all the rooms face onto it. My room was definitely an ‘attic’ room with a sloping ceiling. Having said that, it did the trick. The room was fairly quiet and my bed was reasonable. I did get a good night’s sleep. My room was small, but had all the needed amenities. My bathroom was well set-up and my shower nice and hot. They offer liquid soap and shampoo in dispensers that it a very high quality. The only concerns were that there was no air-conditioning and the walls were not that thick. Lower rooms may have road and neighbour noise and I would imagine warm rooms in summer.

Breakfast was fairly good as well and served in their nice lounge. They even have free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

The staff are friendly and helpful. They will also help organise travel and sightseeing. The hotel is located a healthy walk from the mega transport hub if Baker Street and restaurants. If you are able, this is a well located hotel in terms of London. It is not recommended for folks with mobility issues (stairs, small elevators etc.).

All in all a reasonable hotel in the lower price range for London if you search several websites.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 29 rooms on 6 floors and there is an elevator
• Buffet Breakfast is included
• Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate anytime in the lounge
• Free Wi-Fi
• No Car Parking – not recommended to drive here
• Quiet location

ROOMS:
• En Suite Bathroom with Shower (only) and excellent toiletries
• Free Wi-Fi Across the hotel
• Television, in-room safe, hair dryer
• Small fan (no air-conditioning)

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
• PC with free internet in the Lounge
• USB Memory Sticks available to borrow
• Photocopying & Printing (black and white)
• Fax

Directions:
TUBE and BUS:
Baker Street Station (400 meters)
Jubilee, Bakerloo, Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan Lines

Avoid at all costs

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 4, 2011

The walk from tube is too far and very intimidating at night. The hotel itself is the worse I have ever stayed on and beleive me I have stayed in some dives. We asked for a twin room and was given a double bedded room instead and told that there was going to be a twin available for the last night of our stay and basically to like it or lump it. The room was so small that we has to put our luggage on the bed in order to open the window and the shower room so small that I had to squeeze past the hand basin to get into the shower so if you are fat you have no chance. The room looked dirty, and the carpet in the room and throughout the "hotel" was filthy. As there is no airconditioning and this was a very hot weekend I tried to open the window which then let in the noise which did not let up at all. So I and my daughter spent 2 nights in a very hot very noisy room to then go down to a very basic but ok breakfast - we knew it was going to be continental.

When we were given our key to the new room for our last night I did not hold out much hope but imagine my surprise at finding the twin room was a little bigger and the shower room much bigger. having said this it still had a filthy carpet and was also oven like. I decided once again to open the window and it tilted forward and came out of the frame onto the bed leaving a very dangerous low silled gap, so not child frirndly to say the least. I managed to replace this and slide it up but ended up closing this as there was the danger of falling out.

the towels are tiny there is a fan in the room which we left on all day when we were out but did not make a difference to the heat.

Now the plus side the staff with the exeption of one person on our first night are friendly. the wi-fi is free and the beds are clean. Would I pay £144 to stay in a dirty, noisy oven - no. would I recommend the Americana Hotel to you - no you would be better sleeping in the street. Would I recommend this to guests with children definately not it is too dangerous. (I will upload the pictures soon)

Unique Quality: The staff are nice and it is only 2 stops on the tube to the westend.

Directions: Madam Tussauds is nearby

Nearby Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel

• Americana Hotel London

Address: 172 Gloucester Place, London, NW1 6DS, United Kingdom

5 Photos of Americana Hotel

View Professional Photos

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Grange Fitzrovia Hotel
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Garden View Hotel London
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
The Bentley Hotel London (The Waldorf Astoria Collection)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Hyde Park
Camden Town, Lock and Market
Buckingham Palace
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Train / Bus Stations
Souvenirs
Driving in London
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Department stores
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Trains
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Pigeons
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane