172 Gloucester Place, London, NW1 6DS, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

CAN'T COMPLAIN

I stayed one night at the Americana and it was very reasonable for a budget hotel in London. I had asked for a quiet room on a high floor not facing the main road. The hotel actually is on a road which is relatively quiet at night, but all the rooms face onto it. My room was definitely an ‘attic’ room with a sloping ceiling. Having said that, it did the trick. The room was fairly quiet and my bed was reasonable. I did get a good night’s sleep. My room was small, but had all the needed amenities. My bathroom was well set-up and my shower nice and hot. They offer liquid soap and shampoo in dispensers that it a very high quality. The only concerns were that there was no air-conditioning and the walls were not that thick. Lower rooms may have road and neighbour noise and I would imagine warm rooms in summer.

Breakfast was fairly good as well and served in their nice lounge. They even have free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

The staff are friendly and helpful. They will also help organise travel and sightseeing. The hotel is located a healthy walk from the mega transport hub if Baker Street and restaurants. If you are able, this is a well located hotel in terms of London. It is not recommended for folks with mobility issues (stairs, small elevators etc.).

All in all a reasonable hotel in the lower price range for London if you search several websites.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
    • 29 rooms on 6 floors and there is an elevator
    • Buffet Breakfast is included
    • Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate anytime in the lounge
    • Free Wi-Fi
    • No Car Parking – not recommended to drive here
    • Quiet location

ROOMS:
    • En Suite Bathroom with Shower (only) and excellent toiletries
    • Free Wi-Fi Across the hotel
    • Television, in-room safe, hair dryer
    • Small fan (no air-conditioning)

BUSINESS FACILITIES
    • Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
    • PC with free internet in the Lounge
    • USB Memory Sticks available to borrow
    • Photocopying & Printing (black and white)
    • Fax

Directions:
    TUBE and BUS:
    Baker Street Station (400 meters)
    Jubilee, Bakerloo, Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan Lines

• Avoid at all costs

The walk from tube is too far and very intimidating at night. The hotel itself is the worse I have ever stayed on and beleive me I have stayed in some dives. We asked for a twin room and was given a double bedded room instead and told that there was going to be a twin available for the last night of our stay and basically to like it or lump it. The room was so small that we has to put our luggage on the bed in order to open the window and the shower room so small that I had to squeeze past the hand basin to get into the shower so if you are fat you have no chance. The room looked dirty, and the carpet in the room and throughout the "hotel" was filthy. As there is no airconditioning and this was a very hot weekend I tried to open the window which then let in the noise which did not let up at all. So I and my daughter spent 2 nights in a very hot very noisy room to then go down to a very basic but ok breakfast - we knew it was going to be continental.

When we were given our key to the new room for our last night I did not hold out much hope but imagine my surprise at finding the twin room was a little bigger and the shower room much bigger. having said this it still had a filthy carpet and was also oven like. I decided once again to open the window and it tilted forward and came out of the frame onto the bed leaving a very dangerous low silled gap, so not child frirndly to say the least. I managed to replace this and slide it up but ended up closing this as there was the danger of falling out.

the towels are tiny there is a fan in the room which we left on all day when we were out but did not make a difference to the heat.

Now the plus side the staff with the exeption of one person on our first night are friendly. the wi-fi is free and the beds are clean. Would I pay £144 to stay in a dirty, noisy oven - no. would I recommend the Americana Hotel to you - no you would be better sleeping in the street. Would I recommend this to guests with children definately not it is too dangerous. (I will upload the pictures soon)

Unique Quality: The staff are nice and it is only 2 stops on the tube to the westend.

Directions: Madam Tussauds is nearby

More about London

Cafe LatteCafe Latte

CYCLE HIRE - LondonCYCLE HIRE - London

The Shakespeare fountain in the park.The Shakespeare fountain in the park.

Fountain with water nymphsFountain with water nymphs

Travel to Harrow efficiently?

by deniwebb

to reach to Cumberland Hotel on St JOhns Road in Harrow, from Notting Hill Gate.... what is the best public transportation route...? tube? bus?

Re: Travel to Harrow efficiently?

by Durfun

Hi, Take the Central line tube to Bond St, change onto the the Jubilee line to Baker St & then hop onto the Metro line for Harrow :-)

Re: Travel to Harrow efficiently?

by leics

You will find detailed point-to-point directions and travel options on

Put in the postcode for the hotel: HA1 2EF

or choose St Johns Road (HA1) from the drop-down menu.

Travel Tips for London

At last...

by BluBluBlu

This is a recent memorial sighted in Whitehall that finally recognises the role women played in the 2nd World War...I like the fact that its an impression of hats & coats...they've just popped out...

Covent Gardens, entertainment center of London!

by draguza

Covent Garden is a place where I always go when in London. The Piazza itself with the small boutiques and restaurant is very nice. Also there are a lot of shops on the nearby streets so this area is well worth a morning or afternoon spent there.
There are often music students performing at the Piazza (downstairs) so You´ll be able to here some good music.

Weather ~ your luck may be in for some blue sky!

by Jenniflower

A favourite topic of conversation, nary a day goes by without a discussion about it in the office.

But it is so unpredictable, that one sometimes doesn?t know how to even dress for work! In one day it could rain, plus be warm one hour, and cold the next, you just never know.

My answer? Layering! I always dress in layers, so that when I come out of the cold onto a hot tube I can take a couple of layers off if need be.

Favourite weather website? www.bbc.co.uk

Lambeth Bridge

by Mariajoy

Situated between Westminster Bridge and Vauxhaul Bridge, Lambeth Bridge leads into Lambeth Palace Road and if you follow the river East, you will come to the South Bank. It makes a nice walk on a sunny Summer's day!

A few facts and figures about the Bridge (borrowed from the Vauxhall Society website):
"The present five-span steel-arch bridge was built in 1929-32 to a design by Sir George Humphreys with Sir Reginald Blomfield acting as architectural consultant. It was fabricated by Dorman Long, Middlesbrough and is 776ft long and weighs 4,620 tons"

The website has more history!

Lambeth Bridge

Tiny cars...

by joits

Not really a custom, just didn't know where too put this. Due to the relatively tight quarters in the city of London, people are very fond of smalll cars.

One car in particular is the Smart Car. Its a two person car that's perfect for driving in central London as parking can be hard to find.

Coming from Southern California, where I'm surrounded by huge trucks and SUVs, I kinda think a car that small is hilarious and pretty cute and pretty cool.

Comments