Andaz London

Andaz Liverpool Street
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• travelgeezer's Profile Photo

One hotel to rule them all...

This excellent hotel specialising in 'casual luxury’ hosts a very wide selection of restaurants doing pub food, seafood, sushi as well as having a champagne bar. The hotel is big with over 250 rooms and has a lot of history. It was called back in 1884 the Great Eastern and it is handily located for any eastern UK business traveller or if you’re flying to Stansted it’s right next to Liverpool Street Station.

The Andaz building was originally created by Charles Barry, who designed the Houses of Parliament. I guess he’d not have thought that 100 years later, it would be transformed to a hotel vision of the future but with his original surround?

What I personally love is the cyberpunk feel. You walk in, people come up to you in casual formal dress with a touchpad PDA, you can then go to a bar and they’ll order your food on the pad, check you in and ask you what you’d like to do! It’s like a real-life avatar. I loved the experience. The cool thing is, if you travel around like I do, you know that there’s 1 or 2 porters - STOP for the hotel. Here each employee is everything, porter, local guide, room service so there’s no hanging around!

If you love art or comedy it is ideally located next to trendy London scenes such as Shoreditch and Hoxton. The hotel guests artists throughout the interior and has a great monthly comedy night that is only 5 quid to get into. I repeat just 5 quid. There’s other comedy clubs nearby, but none that beats a classy venue nor that price! The night is called Sabotage and attracts on occasions some very BIG names!

Inside the rooms, each room is different and the bathrooms, like the helpers or andaz friend’s are state-of-the-art. The beds were very comfortable. Having lived outside London for years it was actually a pleasure going back. I loved the casual luxury phillosophy…. Before I forget, you can also rent out ipods and they have selected playlists from local people. Great idea!

I’d recommend the weekends and quite often they have special rates as well!

Unique Quality: ipod rental, excellent location [to stansted, shoreditch art galleries, the Globe].

Directions: Next to Liverpool Street Station

• Duncan95's Profile Photo

High style modern hotel in beautiful building

The Great Eastern is a funky, modern hotel attached to the Liverpool Street train station in downtown London. The property is very convenient to the financial center of the city and is easy to get into and away from with access to both trains and the underground.

Unique Quality: When arriving the building itself is a giant, almost daunting, grey stone. When you hit the lobby, the warm wood and neon lights let you know that you're in an upscale property. The front desk staff is second to none with great attention to detail down to the matching Great Eastern cuff links.

The rooms are well appointed with multitone wood, nice amenities and cool features like pocket doors for the bath. The elevator lobbies on upper floors allow you to view down to a first floor lounge area.

• Ripped off

The hotel looks great, the rooms are great, but the treatment of customers is dire.

I walked in off the street and was quoted a rate of GBP315. There was no mention of any further taxes (VAT) to pay, apart from in the small print of the form I was then asked to sign at check in (which was not bought to my attention in any way).

On checking out, I found I had been charged 17.5% VAT on the room rate I had been quoted, making the bill GBP370, hardly a steal for one night's accomodation!

The staff were completely uninterested in my view that I had been mislead as to the total price of the room, and did nothing to sort the matter out. In fact, a letter to the management met with the same response - I should have read the form! There was no admission that failing to make it clear to the guest that VAT would be payable on top of the room rate was perhaps not very customer friendly. Clearly repeat business is not something the GEH need or require.

GO somewhere else where you will be treated with more respect.

• ChrsStrl's Profile Photo

Once the only hotel in the City!

A grand hotel that was originally built in Victorian times. It was totally re-vamped about six years and has 267 rooms that kept the best of the old and added the convenience we want from the new. Beautiful just to look at from the point of view of both Victorian and modern architecture, it has four good restaurants as well! Even the flower arrangements are works of art.

Unique Quality: Expensive, but it was the only hotel in the Square Mile unitl very recently and has a great past and a great location. Really nice people there.

I'm going to post some more photos of the place in What to See!

Directions: Right outside the station but you don't hear the noise!

More about Andaz London

Funky Lush Hotel Next Door to Liverpool Street Station!

by TripAdvisor Member SELBYLOU

My oh my what a lovely funky hotel this is! A lovely stay on New Years Eve 2008! (The hotel extended check out time and breakfast serving time with it being NYE)

Leave Liverpool St Station and turn right (applies regardless of which exit you leave) and within a matter of moments you will hit the Andaz hotel! So, location wise it couldn’t be any closer to the station which obviously gives you access to the National Rail network and also the underground!

Having read reviews on this hotel I kind of knew what to expect and I wasn’t disappointed! When we arrived there were quite a few folks checking in, we simply took a seat and waited a short time for someone to check us in! The service for checking in was efficient and fast and we were even upgraded to a king room free of charge - BONUS!! You are offered a drink at time of checking in, although don’t expect Coke, my boyfriend asked for one and was told they only do organic!!! So no fizzy pop here!! If you want snacks or anything fizzy then there is a Tesco just over the road so fret not!!

The reception area is very modern as is the rest of the hotel, it truly was nice and my boyfriend was pleased as he is rather fussy with regards to hotels!! Men!!!

We were in room 270 on the 2nd floor which is accessed by the lifts! We walked over a little glass bridge and our room was just down the corridor. The room was lush and the bed quite possibly the best I have ever slept in!! As you walked into the room on dark wooden floor the bathroom was to your right and wardrobes (with lights in!) and fridge filled with juice and water on your left! The bed and desk area were in front of you! Overall the room was lovely! The view was what was to be expected but it wasn’t an issue! The hotel provides you with Andaz robes and slippers, nice touch!! Plenty of lovely fluffy towels were provided in the bathroom, the bath ones were huge!!!

My only faults with the room / hotel were that there was a rather odd sound in the bathroom every time the hot water was used - monster in the pipes perhaps! It only lasted a few seconds so didn’t matter just thought it was a little random! Also, the temperature control on the shower was a bit hit and miss, it was either red hot or freezing cold, perhaps it was just me not knowing how to work it properly!! The other thing was the temperature of the room, after getting in at almost 2am after New Years Eve the room was freezing, I tried to alter the temp with the electronic control to no avail so it took a while to warm up so that was a bit of a downer when all you want is to get cosy in bed!!! Also, for those of you who want a kettle in your room, tough!! You don’t get one! There is also NO HAIRDRYER which was a bit of a bum as I didn’t take mine, but never mind!!

Breakfast was included in the price, and my oh my am I glad it was! You had to sign a ticket with your room number on and for 2 breakfasts, some fruit, toast and 2 teas and a juice it came to over £50, as if!! It was nice, but not worth £50 so it’s a bonus you don’t have to pay for this! You can pick to have breakfast in your room but we were advised that it was an hours wait so we opted to get up and go to the restaurant which was just outside the hotel a few doors down! I’m glad we did as there was more choice on the menu than what was on the room service menu (which may I add is very expensive - £18 for a sarnie, I don’t think so!!).

Overall I loved my stay at this hotel and will consider it in the future and also recommend to others, as it is so close to the station everywhere you want to go in London is easy to get to!!! The hotel is very modern and funky and bright and just very swish it was ace!!

I was here for New Years Eve 2008 and if I was to do London again for NYE I think I would find a hotel as close to the fireworks as possible as it is near on impossible to get across London after the celebrations, it was a wicked NY but soooooooooo many people it was crazy! We ended up walking across half on London and finally got on a bus!!

Unassuming Minimalist Chic

by TripAdvisor Member margok773

Recently taken over by Hyatt...but kept majority of design elements from The Great Eastern it was. Perfect location for City and close proximity to West end by tube or on foot for avid walkers. Very quiet on weekends, Sunday esp but as for a New Yorker that's ok. Loved that the inclusive breakfast could be had in the huge, comfortable bed.....many dining options and drinks. amazing welcome at check in...a drink on a leather lounge chair...ill take it! Fantastic bathrooms in the old fashion design. Free water and organic juices in fridge, very friendly staff.

very hip - if you like that sort of thing

by TripAdvisor Member rosemaryoz

We stayed one night in this hotel late August, and found it to be comfortable and user-friendly. But its atmosphere leans more to the hip and funky than warm and welcoming, in my opinion. Plenty of positives to report: we arrived early and the staff gave us immediate access to a room, which was spacious enough; breakfast was complimentary and plentiful; location was ideal for walking 15 mins in most directions to landmarks like St Pauls, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre & Tower of London. Also a few steps from Liverpool Street Tube station, which connects you to anywhere you want to go. But the hotel feels quite 'corporate' and a bit dark and shadowy for my liking. By contrast we stayed in the same week at Hotel Threadneedles around the corner, which had a much more traditional, comfy, club-like feeling (see my review on that if you like). In the end I think it boils down to personal taste & style - cool & funky versus warm and welcoming.

Contemporary, stylish, clean, different but ...

by TripAdvisor Member gbmav

Nice hotel, very handy for Liverpool tube station (and McDonalds)

Check in is a bit different, smart dressed staff with wireless laptops while you sit on a sofa. Nice.

Rooms, reasonable size, clean, smart, free movie channel, bathroom ultra clean and tidy, mind you sink drained slowly.

Fridge with a few free drinks in it - very good. But no mini bar of coffee facilities.

Safe in the room was good, lighting and furniture very contemporary- i Liked it.

Only downsides,
got back on Sat night at midnight after a show to find no bar was open, no coffee facilitiy in room so had to ask night porter to brew one up (which he did veyr helpfully). Lots of noise from a wedding (which was using best bit of the hotel). Went through an empty champagne bar, and main pub was shut. Looked really nice and was looking forward to ending with a drink so that was disappointing.

Breakfast was very nice, again hard to find dining room, staff at reception told us to go outside, walk down road and into next cafe which seemed odd but it worked. Excellent service, lots of staff, food was very good and quick, and all included.

Booked on lastminute.com but it wasn't any cheaper than going direct.

Coolest hotel in London

by TripAdvisor Member mgd3

I stayed at andaz in September after not having been there for two years. The lobby looks incredible and I found the reception team to be both friendly and informative. The atmosphere in the bar and restaurants was as fantastic as I remembered, if not better - is there anything better than having your server remember how you like your eggs and what your beverage of choice is? The rooms are still as crisp as they were when they opened. I was also really impressed by how much the area had changed, there are many great restaurants, bars and shopping choices available. Overall I loved my experience at andaz, the staff are wonderful and the hotel will always be my hotel of choice when travelling to London.

Love the extra touches

by TripAdvisor Member biztraveller58

Since Hyatt took over this hotel, there have been some very positive and welcome changes. Unlike many hotels, there are a lot of extras included now - free internet, great breakfast (either in room or in one of 2 restaurants), laundry included, juice/water in room, and a coffee and wine bar in the lobby with small snacks available. For the business traveller, these are really helpful - there is nothing worse than having stinky workout gear in your hotel room - here, its gets washed for you!
The gym is extremely well equipped although small - it doesnt take too many users to make it crowded. The trainers are excellent - very knowledgeable and helpful.
Room - big comfortable beds, TV sound is poor though.
Bathrooms - extremely functional, although the vacuum flushing is very noisy, and travels from other rooms.
Noise can be an issue here - try to get a room away from the event spaces. The doors slam hard in every room, and along with the vacuum flushing/drains, can make for a noisy start in the mornings. And as the hotel has a high proportion of business travellers, people are up early!
Service - i find the staff very helpful and efficient - service is understated and makes you feel "at home".
Location - cant be beat if you need to be in that part of the city.
Overall, despite the noise, this has become one of my favourite hotels.

Comments