83 Gower Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1E 6HJ, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

More about Arosfa

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member CymraesAbertawe

We decided to stay at Arosfa hotel as it was recommended in a travel guide that we'd read prior to our visit to London. What a wonderful place with welcoming staff and a real home from home atmosphere. The quad room we stayed in was truly spotless with ample room for 3 adults. The en-suite was small but adequate and the cleanliness first rate. The location of Arosfa hotel is excellent, very near to Goodge St underground station and Euston St. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Really Happy With Choice

by TripAdvisor Member JR72

I chose Arosfa Hotel based on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor. Looking at Arosfa's website I was nervous about my choice but remembering all the positive reviews I stuck with it and I'm very glad I did.

I stayed in a single room that overlooked the garden, it's not a pretty garden but given the hotel is on a busy street requesting a room on that side should ensure a quite nights sleep. The room was small but very comfortable. As you can imagine the bathroom was incredibly tiny, but I wasn't bothered by it. When you shower you have to close the door otherwise the steam will set off the alarm but again that's not a real inconvenience.

The room has a colour tv, telephone and heater but it's not air conditioned. I did spot a very small desk fan sitting on top of the cupboard available for use! Everyday the room was cleaned, bed was made and fresh towels were provided. In the sitting room there is a tea and coffee facility, free Internet and lots of brochures for things to do and see whilst visiting London. The hotel doesn't make any bookings for you to go see a show or do a tour, it's all up to you to organise for yourself.

Breakfast is a bit of an event, just sit down and be served. It's the same menu everyday but there's lots of it and your looked after quite well. The staff are very prompt at clearing your table and will continue to offer you endless servings of food until you say no more.

The hotel is situated in a great area, being a woman traveling on my own I felt quite safe wandering back late at night. It's just a two minute walk from Goodge St Station, about five minutes to the British Museum, 20 minutes to Convent Garden and some great West End Productions. Buses also run down Gower St, I never caught one but they're easily available. There are lots of restaurants, ATM's, chemists, supermarkets and if you ask the staff they'll point you to the nearest laundromat about 10 minutes away.

All staff were very friendly, the owners were quite welcoming. I didn't feel like I was staying in a hotel, I felt like I was a guest in someone's home, this is definantly a place I will use again. The strict no smoking policy is also an incentive, nothing worse than a stinky room and pillow reeking of smoke.

I paid 50 pound a night, very reasonable for a very expensive city.

Hope my notes have helped. Enjoy your holiday :)

Great location, very clean

by TripAdvisor Member drjeff1968

The Arosfa is in a great location across the street from University College London and a 5 minute walk to both the Goodge street and Euston tube stops and the British Museum. The room was average size for London. One bonus was that we had an extra twin bed in our room that we were able to store our luggage on. Breakfast was typical English breakfast and was quite good. The only negative was that the bathroom was truly miniscule. However, like everything else, it was completely spotless and a small inconvenience given all the other pluses. I would stay at the Arosfa again and highly recommend it.

Highly recommended !

by TripAdvisor Member jum0

I stayed at the Arosfa with my nine year old daughter, for three nights. The hotel is excellent value for money and every area is cleaned to a high standard. The owners and staff are friendly and made us feel welcome.
Our room was compact and comfortable, overlooking the walled garden at the rear of the property. The garden was a real bonus, somewhere to sit and enjoy the complimentary coffee. Breakfast is served in the basement dining room. All the food served had been carefully selected for quality and the cooked breakfast was perfect.
I've recommended the Arosfa to friends who will be visiting London and will certainly stay there again.

Don't really want to stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member VirgoWoman

We stayed three nights in Arosfa in May/June 2007 (room 6 on first floor). The temperature outside was very pleasant: around 20 degrees. The room, however, was a furnace. I can't imagine how the poor people who visit London in a heat wave manage to survive in Arosfa. I think I would have had a heart attack if I had stayed in that room in really hot weather. Opening the window wasn't an option either, because of the loud traffic noise outside on Gower Street.

The room and the en suite bathroom were very clean, though seriously tiny. The double bed was against the wall --- not the most comfortable of arrangements. I think the proprietors have just put a double bed in a room which was meant to be a single.

The bathroom was so small that when I bent down at the tiny sink to wash my face, my bottom would be right against the door.

Another problem was the high step leading to the bathroom. There was one step where there should have been two. When you were coming out of the bathroom into the room, you had to remind yourself that the bathroom floor was quite a bit higher than the room floor, so that you wouldn't stumble headlong into the room.

There was no hairdryer, but you could borrow one and return it when you left.

Now the real problem: there was no hospitality tray in the room. I like drinking coffee first thing in the morning, before I shower and start the day. No chance of that: you either had to go down to the basement for breakfast or down to the ground floor guest lounge where there was an instant coffee machine and paper cups. We paid £75 per night for our tiny teeny double room. Surely that would entitle us to a few coffee or tea bags and a kettle?

On top of this, they locked the lounge at 10:30 pm. So when you came back late at night and wanted to relax in the lounge with a tea or coffee, instead of returning to your hot
cubby hole upstairs, you couldn't do that. Why on earth do they lock the guest lounge, especially when they don't provide hospitality trays in the rooms?

The best thing about Arosfa is that the couple running the place are polite and pleasant. When we arrived, they helped us carry our luggage upstairs, instead of handing us the keys and telling us where to go, as is the custom at this price range hotel in London.

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Catherine-Australia

Spent 5 nights at the Arosfa in May 2007. This small family run hotel is simple, clean and safe and offers real value for money at 50 pounds per night, including a hot breakfast. The rooms are tiny, and the ensuite bathrooms are also tiny. Ensuite bathrooms are like a caravan bathroom that have been dropped into the corner of the hotel room - there is a step of perhaps one foot up to enter the bathroom. Hotel does not have a lift. One odd thing about this little hotel is that it does not allow guests to have visitors in the rooms! If you want a base to sleep and breakfast at while you explore London then this is a good hotel. If you want your friends to call you will need to find somewhere else.

English Charm at a good price

by TripAdvisor Member gay_couple_Orlando

We stayed 5 nights at the Arosfa and enjoyed our stay. We thought it was a good value for the location, a short walk to Goodge St. Tube station, and a manageable walk to Soho and the Theatre District. The breakfast is hearty and gives a good start to your day. There is a very nice common area where you can help yourself to hot coffee or tea, use the computer to check e-mail or access the internet, browse their excellent collection of travel books, or just chat with other guests. We were lucky to have met some other nice travelers in this hotel during our stay. The rooms were small, but we expected this from the prior reviews that we read. The bathroom was also small, but efficient in design. The mattresses in our room were not the most comfortable I have slept on, but probably not the worst either...we were able to sleep and that was all that was important. I did think the owners could be more generous with soap, there was only the smallest of bars in the bathroom when we checked in, and I was glad that we had brought our own soap and shampoo! Our room was at the very top of a long flight of stairs (no lift), and rather exhausting to get up, especially with luggage, but we did have assistance from the owner when we checked in. You should also know that they have a policy of not allowing you to bring guests to your room, but to be honest, the rooms are too small for entertaining anyways.

Home Away From Home

by TripAdvisor Member kidmd117

What a great place to stay. We are a family of four who stayed here for a week. The owners, the Dortas, were kind and wonderful. They made us feel very welcome. It's also a great location - easy to get to everything by bus, train or foot. Would go again in a heartbeat.

A touch of home in busy London

by TripAdvisor Member squirrelgardens

This hotel is not for those who need the conceirge expreience when traveling. The Dortas do provide the comforts of home, safe environment and value.

My stay was for 5 nights and then a return for 4 nights. Had different rooms in the stays. Of course, you want to stay in the rear if you are a light sleeper due to traffic. The biggest blessing for me was no lifts. If you are unfortunate to get a room near the lifts make it horrible to sleep. Dito on no ice machine to make that nights sleep even worse.

Tea and coffee are available in a lovely lounge with free WIFI or use of a PC. The lounge is closed from 10:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. So no noise for those in lower level rooms.

The Dortas know each of the guests and greet them warmly over a lovely English breakfast in the morning.

Loved the hotel but agree that the ensuite bathrooms are tiny and will not suit everyone. Smallish beds and you will have to bring your own toiletries. Small details to stay in a lovely guest house with charming owners.

good experience, would recommend

by TripAdvisor Member LifeGoals

I chose Arofsa based solely on the good reviews from Trip Advisor. Thought I should return the favor by giving my honest assessment to fellow travelers.
Pros:
5 minute walk British Museum
5 minute walk from Goodge station
Walking distant to many pubs/shops – college scene
Clean (bathroom was spotless)
Good water pressure (Believe me, that is important!)
Fair/honest/friendly owners
High-speed internet in lounge
Free instant coffee/tea in lounge
Lots of travel books in lounge for reference
Negatives:
Definitely not a page from Elle Décor, but hey, it’s 75 pound per night.
En-suite bathroom size was same size as airplane bathroom, but it’s very clean
No elevators (owner Dorta was there to lend a hand with heavy luggage)
Mattress was smaller than North-American twin size
Bring your own shampoo (they only give soap)

Everything the other recent reviews said are true.
Have fun in London!!!