77 - 79 Gower Street, Central London, England, London, WC1E 6HJ, United Kingdom

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

On the Street Where you Live

I read a review of this hotel that said a guest expected Rex Harrison (of My Fair Lady) to appear singing on the street. I think that is one reason I really liked the neighborhood. Not only is it safe, clean and central, but there's a bit of personality to the place as well.

Unique Quality: My first stay was in a bed in the hostel room (July 08). I chose it because the hotel had received such great reviews and had only one hostel room. I'm not a fan of hostels, but was at the end of a backpacking trip and needed something inexpensive. The breakfast was great and our bedding was changed daily. The bunk bed - surprisingly - was incredibly comfortable. My only concern was that there were no available lockers for any valuables (the room was not booked full when I arrived). I put my things in the hotel safe instead, but would rather have locked them away.

In January of 2009, I stayed in a single room with shared bath. It was easy to choose the Arran House again as I made my travel plans because I knew the location and that I would be getting a good deal in the central part of London. The single was small but very comfortable and the staff was incredibly kind. When the wireless internet (free, by the way) wasn't working for a few hours, they quickly logged me in to a lobby computer without charge.

As a woman traveling alone to London, I was pleased with the safe feeling of the neighborhood as well as the location close to a Tube station.

Directions: From the Goodge Street Station, take a left at the exit and cross the street. Take the next right (Torrington) and Gower will be the third right.

• Great Home Away From Home

When I first arrived in London to study, I stayed here for a few weeks - it was a very nice - EXTREMELY CLEAN - hostel. And the comforters were unreal ;). We even had a tv + DVD player in the room - which made it very nice when my friends and I would rent DVDs from our school =D. The staff was really great - and it's in an amazing part of London. Sometimes the line for the bathroom was a little long though - but the amazing English breakfast made up for it. The back rose garden was a great place to just sit, write, and enjoy a glass of wine :).

Unique Quality: Tv in every room. Great English breakfast.

More about Arran House Hotel

Charming family owned hotel in the Bloomsbury area

by Socialbutterfly about The Arran House

The Arran House is a charming hotel located near the University of London and within walking distance of the British Museum.

The rooms are clean and are decent sized, based on European standards. If your room isnt ensuite, dont worry, the shared bathrooms are kept very clean, and are much bigger than then ensuite version.

The staff are extremely friendly and kind, other guests are also friendly and helpful.

They have a nice little garden out back, and if the weather is right, its a good place to relax.

A full English Breakfast is available and is a great way to start off the day. The thing that sticks out most in my mind is the friendliness of the staff both before our arrival and while we were their guests. We really felt at home and when we left we hugged them as if to say good bye to our own family.

The atmosphere is warm and cozy and very laid back. It really was home away from home for us.

We'd love to go back to Arran House

by TripAdvisor Member stokebailey

Anyway, it was just right for us.

We are family with 2 teenage girls and a light sleeping father, trying to keep costs down in pricey London. Chose the Arran House because it offers fridge space, use of kitchen, and use of washer/dryer in house. Not to mention the full English breakfast.

Our quad room #26 was ground floor, facing the back. We had to go through the kitchen to get to the room, and bathroom down the hall is shared with a dorm room next door. On the plus side, we were near the fridge and the breakfast room, and the room was very quiet. Everything was clean and bright, with white puffy duvets on the beds, tea and coffee maker in room. The TV lounge was comfortable, and there are 2 computers with internet access, coin operated.

The garden out back is a great place to relax on a nice day. We had our picnic lunches there a few times. Gower Street is one-way going south, with 4 different bus lines, and is fairly busy. I walked home alone after the opera at Covent Garden and it felt quite safe. Quietest rooms will be those facing garden.

The atmosphere is homey, friendly and hospitable. Would be good for single traveller. Our girls and my husband especially liked the breakfasts.

Excellent Hotel!

We stayed for 1 week, and we were really pleased with everything.
The service was excellent, the room was clean and they provided clean sheets and towels every morning. Breakfast was surprisingly good, and they helped us order in dinner (take-away) when we didn't bother to eat out. (London is incredibly expensive!!) The location was superb, walking distance to everything our hearts desired and more. The staff helped us with travelroutes, and saved us a lot of money we otherwise would have spent on expensive guided tours! :D
We had a double room, without any bathroom facilities, and were impressed with the good standard, both our room, and the shared hallway bathrooms were clean and fresh. No problems whatsoever! The low price had us a bit conserned, but that was quickly whisked away when we arrived!

We are definately going to use Arran House Hotel the next time we visit London!

Comfortable, friendly and well-located

by TripAdvisor Member chellebelle

When planning our trip to London, we asked all our friends and acquaintances who'd visited London for hotel recommendations, and none of them liked their hotels enough to recommend them, so we were left with travel books, hotel web sites, and TripAdvisor. I'm happy to report that I can go back to all those who didn't like their hotel and tell them where they should stay on their next trip to London!

We opted for an en suite room, because we didn't want the inconvenience of a trip down the hall to use the toilet, or even to take a shower. We did this even though we were warned by other reviews that the bathrooms in the en suites were small. If a small bathroom truly disturbs you (or your size makes a small bathroom impossible to negotiate), I would suggest choosing one of the shared-bath rooms. Our bathroom was indeed tiny -- it was actually as small as the lavatory on the plane we had just gotten off. At first I didn't think I could deal with it, and I considered changing rooms. But after a day or so, I got used to it, and the room itself more than made up for it. And the water pressure and temperature of the showere were great.

The room was positively huge by European standards. It contained the bathroom (about 4'x4'), an oversized double bed (not quite queen size, but bigger than a double) with nightstands, an armoire, desk, vanity and a twin bed; and there was still room for two people to move around comfortably. The linens were crisp, clean and white, and very comfortable. Towels were replaced every day (no washcloths, of course, but I had brought my own). The room also had its own hair dryer, which I was relieved to see, because I thought I was going to have to borrow one from the desk.

Our room was #3, on the first-and-a-half floor, and getting to it required a few stairs, but not too many. It overlooked the hotel's garden, which was just lovely, although it was a little too cold and damp to spend any time out there. The room was on the back side of the hotel, so there was not very much street noise, but there was a little, so if you're highly sensitive to noise, it might bother you. We could actually see the BT tower from our window, which was kind of fun, as it changed colors continously. Our room had a little tv, with about five channels, just enough to watch the BBC breakfast show while getting ready in the morning. The extra bed was perfect for suitcases, but would be great if three people were traveling together.

The whole hotel is non-smoking, except the common lounge in the front room. But the coin-operated internet in the lounge made up for the cigarette smoke. Having internet in the hotel was very convenient.

All the staff, both in the office and serving breakfast, were very, very friendly. It seems I had a different question every time we walked passed the office, and they were always very happy to provide whatever information they could.

Breakfast itself was, well, hearty: eggs, bacon, sausage, roasted tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, baked beans, plus three kinds of cereal, croissants, pain au chocolat and rolls. It would have been nice to have cheese or yogurt as an alternate protein, but we certainly never went hungry. Of course, there was also coffee, tea and juice, and packets for making hot chocolate.

In addition, guests also have access to both kitchen and laundry facilities. Now, that may not seem very important while you're at home planning your trip, but once you're there, these are really attractive perks. Having fridge and cooking privileges means you can save money on a few meals and keep closer to any dietary needs you might have. It's also nice, occasionally, to not have to think about where your next meal is, or how to navigate another menu in a foreign country. If I'd thought of it sooner, I could have had that cheese and yogurt for breakfast! Next time I will! And doing laundry doesn't sound like fun to do on vacation, but it can mean packing half the amount of clothes, specifically underwear, which can save space and weight in your suitcase. The hotel charges 5 GBP per load, but I can justify that if it means less luggage.

The location was also great. It's just around the corner from Goodge tube station, and within walking distance of plenty (gift shopping at Heal's, grocery/drug store shopping at Sainsbury's and Boots, pubs, restaurants, coffee -- even Starbucks, if you must). And many major tourist sites are a quick Tube ride away -- you can walk to the British Museum.

In all, I will definitely stay at Arran House again, and can't wait to refer my friends!

Clean, convenient and good value

We (2 adults 1 teenager) stayed for 3 nights in Feb 2006. The hotel is clean and well located, with nice rooms and a lovely sitting room (if a little too smokey as that's where guests sit to smoke). The bathrooms are very basic - our deluxe room had a bathroom that was a moulded fibreglass shower and toilet. I'd suggest you get the basic room and use the shared facilities that are more than adequate and not so cramped. Breakfast was hot and plentiful, served in the basement dining room. There are laundry facilities and if you want to, you can cook your own meals in the kitchen. The staff are very friendly and helpful, ready to give advice about good restuarants, etc. London is incredibly expensive. This was a good find for the price.

Excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member val18229

I booked this hotel through Lastminute for £35 for a single room, I arrived at 8am and not very hopefully inquired if it was possible to check in, I was able to get into my room promptly. When I did get into my room I found that it was a double instead of a single - brill.

The room was very clean, with a shower and wc just outside the door.

Thanks for an excellent stay

great location and accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member FJMA

The location, staff, and accomodations were excellent. We had a room with 4 single beds which was large and pleasant for accomodations in Europe. The staff was very helpful. We are picky travelers from the U.S. therefore, take this recommendation to heart. If you read the reviews on tripadvisor, these are accurate. If staying in London and wanting a reasonable priced hotel with nice rooms and easy access to various locations in London, book this one!

My Whirlwind trip to London

by Socialbutterfly

"Day One - Flights and Arriving"

This was my first real "international" experience and I have to say it was all I imagined it would be. I was lucky enough to fly from Chicago's Ohare Airport to London's Heathrow on American Airlines, in first class.

~ if you ever have the chance to fly first class, or business class even, it is well worth the frequent flyer miles ~

A five course meal and seven hours later we arrived in Heathrow. A definate advantage of being a First or Business Class passenger is being able to go through the express line at customs.

It was the forty minute walk from the gate to the underground train (The Tube) station that caught me off guard, but we managed.

Using the Tube was incredibly easy, the only problem we had was that we arrived right during the morning rush hour commute and our luggage was in the way as the cars fill up to capacity. No one complained or ever gave an unconscious dirty look, but I felt a little guilty and definately gave myself away as a tourist!

We had quite a walk from Russell Square Station to our hotel, The Arran House, and we were thankful to have wheels on our luggage, and that we only had one bag per person, otherwise a cab ride would have definately been in order.

When we arrived at The Arran House hotel it was about 08:30 and our rooms were not yet ready. They did offer that we go down and enjoy a full English breakfast and relax in the lounge while we waited, which was very nice of them, but it was the waiting for the room that did us in. The jet-lag kicked in and when we did make it into our room, I laid out across the bed and was dead to the world until about dinner time.

~ We were expecting to get in at least half a days sightseeing, but it didn't work that way.~

We walked from the hotel, which is right in the area of the College and the British Museum, down to Googe Street where we found several resteraunts. We chose to go into Finnegans Pub, actually the sudden downpour dictated that for us, but we were glad we did. The funny thing is that as Americans we are used to sitting down and having someone come take your order. Well, we sat there for a good long while before my friend actually got up and went to the bar to order our drinks and a meal.

We had a nice tasty meal and a drink, and when the sun began to set and the rain died down, we headed back to the hotel for a good solid nights rest so we could make the most of the next day.

Arran House Hotel frontArran House Hotel front

Where to stay for three and two nights in London?

by DAVmoonie

Does anyone have a preference among these hotels: Arran House Hotel, Cherry Court Hotel, Lime Tree Hotel, Luna & Simone Hotel and Vandon House Hotel. I have narrowed down the list to these based on reviews, cost and location. Any other suggestions?

My wife, 13yr old daughter and I are flying into Gatwick on Oct. 31. We will be in London for three nights, then we fly out of Gatwick to Murcia Spain until Nov 12. We have until Nov. 14 before we fly out of Gatwick. So we have three nights and then two nights to spend in London.

Would you recommend staying at the same hotel both times or try two out?

RE: Where to stay for three and two nights in London?

by BluBluBlu

Why not stay central on your first trip...and somewhere like Greenwich or Brighton on your second trip. That way you get to see a different part of London, or a nice seaside resort? Both are easily situated for travel connections...

Blu

by robine

I don't know any of them, but check out www.tripadvisor.com.

by DAVmoonie

Thanks for the idea of staying by the seaside. I know we can't see everything we want in London in just two or three days. So doing the three days in London and then two days by the seaside might just be the answer.

RE: Where to stay for three and two nights in London?

by shutterlust

bad, bad experience with arran house....no idea about the others!

g'luck though!!

by DAVmoonie

Thanks, Arran House is now off the list.

Comments