Astor Hyde Park

HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• supercarys's Profile Photo

Dodgy Accomodation

I stayed at the Astor Hyde Park for several days. The first was a large dorm room, second ws a four bed dorm, last time I was there I had a two bed female dorm.

Dorm Rooms
    The large 12 bed dorm was fine apart from the fact that someone got into the wrong bed and the real owner started shrieking at him at about 2am, telling him it was her bed and waking everyone else up.

The four bed dorm was ok apart from the fact that I didn't get a key because the person staying there a few days before me hadn't returned the key - I still think it was unacceptable for them to not give me a key. Luckily, the people in the room who did have a key were nice enough to let my use theirs if I needed to go to the loo at night.

The other problem was that the bed above me (bunk beds) had about 40cms clearance, making it EXTREMELY difficult to get into, and the bits of wire holding it together were all hanging down ready to poke my eye out if I sat up in a hurry.

The two bed dorm was on the very top level and it is a real slog to get up there with your luggage, let me tell you! There are 4 levels with high rooves so it was like a 6 storey climb!

Showers
    The showers are the usual hostel quality (not very nice) but at least you had temperature control and a lock on the door.

Breakfast
    The breakfast is free. You get corn flakes, tea, coffee, fresh bread rolls, toast and spreads. It's quite good.

Internet / Payphones
    Internet is quite expensive at a pound for half an hour, you can get it cheaper in cafes on Bayswater. There are payphones on several levels available for use.

Unique Quality: Some of the staff are really friendly and very helpful, others are surly and full of themselves (like the guy who wouldn't give me a key). When I was ill, one guy, Cameron, was really helpful and went out of his way to try and make me more comfortable, helping me find a doctor and calling me a taxi but giving me back his commision. On the other hand, I was kicked out of the lounge room when they were cleaning (I had to change dorm rooms and there was nowhere else for me to go) despite the fact that I was so ill I had to lie down and instead I went and sat in the toilet for half an hour while they cleaned - no sympathy there.

At roughly £20 a night, it's expensive for what you get, but that's the average price in London.

Directions: Get the tube to Queensway station, it's closer than Bayswater

• GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!

I stayed in a room by myself for a week. The first two days there was a power shortage, so the showers where stark cold and pitch dark. The third day I walked back to my room to find out it was occupied by other people, and I couldn't find my stuff anywhere. My things where in garbage bags at the lobby with my bags totally opened; Because of a confusion I apparently checked-out, so they booked my room without giving me any refunds since I payed through STA. My brand-new leather jacket got broken in the bag against a book. I stayed in a hotel for the remainder of the week. Astor got two leases for the same room.

Unique Quality: They treat you like trash.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Sleep is for the weak....

Our lads from our rowing club stayed here when they took part in the Head of the river race. They had the 18 beds room all for themselves.... Well, what shall I tell you? It was really crowded with all the bags, shirts and towels... but it was fun as well.... One bad thing was that there was no window, to get some fresh air...not so unimportant when you sleep in a room with 17 other people I think.
    I also had a look at one of the 12 beds room and they were much bigger, had a really high ceiling and so it wasn´t too bad that again there was no window to open.

Apart from that the hostel made a good impression to me....well, I would decide on a smaller room.

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hostel is that it´s really central and close to the Bayswater area with lots of restaurants and bars. It´s right in the city , so I think prices are ok. In the 18 beds room they payed 12 pound per night and person, in the 12 bed room they payed 18 pounds.

Directions: Bayswater Underground Station

• COCKROACHES

COCKROACHES, AND FUNGUSS ON THE CELING....TERRIBLE SERVICE...THEY STOLE YOUR STUFF FROM KITCHEN AND AGAIN THE WORST SERVICE...THE SUCURITY GURD TAKE US FROM THE BAR JUST BEACUSE, I GIRL GIVE HIM 10 PENCE (LESS THAN 25 CENT US DOLLS) BECAUSE WE WHERE NOT PART OF HER PARTY...HELLOOOO....ALL THE PLACE SUCK, SUCK, SUCK....WE JUST SPEND ONE NIGHT AND LOST OUR MONEY, WE RUN OUT EARLY MORNING TO A VERY NICE HOSTEL IN CENTER OF LONDON, CHEAP, CLEAN AN "EXCELENT" SERVICE

Unique Quality: IF YOU LIKE DIRTY CARPET, HORRIBLE ROOMS, AND LOUD AND OLD MUSIC...THAT THE PLACE YOU WILL, LOVE....

Directions: BAYSWATERS TUBE STATION, MAKE RIGHT, THEN MAKE A LEFT, THEN MAKE A RIGHT AND TOU WILL SEE COCKROACHES AND RATS RUNNING...A WHITE TRASH STAFF MEMBER...THERE IS THE PLACE...

• almisrat's Profile Photo

BEST HOSTEL!!!!!!

This hostel is purely and simply the best hostel you can find!!! We met some funny people from all over the world (so crazy sometimes!) but so nice and friendly that we didn't go anywhere during our holidays in London! Staff is also very nice and helpful. Ok, the rooms aren't really clean but you finally forget it. All in this hostel make you feel good. If you want to have some fun and meet some crazy people, go at night in the ITA bar. The drinks are very cheap (2£ ??!!!) If you don't know what to do, go in the TV room ^^ !! Our best holidays and thanks to astor's Hyde Park hostel and people inside! WE'LL BE BACK!!!!
    Almisrat

why? coz it's very cheap, very funny and you can find people from all over the world. It's a very nice place to meet people from australia, canada, france, spain, sweden.... and a great place to have fun too!
    why not? no reasons!

Unique Quality: The best thing in this hostel must be the places where everybody meets like the ITA bar, the TV room and the place where you can eat in the hostel (mainly at night!!) It's places where you can speak with Australian, French, Spanish... and nevermind where you are from: just have fun with them! This hostel has also a great location: many tesco just in the opposite street, many shops too and especially the Hyde Park (with so many squirrels and ducks!!).
    The staff is very nice, helpful and friendly. You can go back in the hostel at any time and it's very safe too because you have someone in the entrance who supervise.
    I admit that the rooms aren't "pretty", but someone cleans the room everyday. The water in the showers may be sometimes not very warm, but it's ok. And the hostel is huge. You also have a billiards-table in the ITA bar and a games room.
    So, if you want to spend some crazy times in London and meet funny and crazy people: GO THERE!!!!

Directions: Bayswater is the nearest station. You also have Queensway but the station is close until May 2006.

• Only if you like low standards

I booked this hostel as a recommendation of Ryanair for my 4 day trip with my daughter. We were "not amused". OK, the staff was in a good mood. There was always music playing - if you like reggae, that's fine.

Unfortunately we had a room beside the shower. So we heard everybody using the shower - first trying to shut the door, which was only possible with brute force, then having the water flow, sometimes the singing under the shower. If I would have wanted, I would have been able to look into the shower simply by putting my head out of the window. Speaking of the shower: The water was not really getting hot, but in summer that doesn't hurt. The plumbing was ancient.

The sounds from the shower was not the only noise. The door to the stairs was slammed shut half the night. People were singing and shouting on the stairs.

Continental breakfast in the basement was simple - very simple, we could hardly chew the rolls, but maybe that is English standard.

The room was very small, there was only a bunk bed and a chair. It was nearly clean, only the window wasn't cleaned for ages.

If I happen to visit London next time I will definitely not stay in this hostel.

Directions: Notting Hill

• susiederkins's Profile Photo

Reasonably priced place to lay your head

I ended up at this hostel after walking into the Millennium Lodge and promptly cancelling my reservation. The Astor Hyde Park was a godsend after that.

The facilities are basic - the showers are warm and reliable and the beds comfortable enough. It's definitely not the cleanest place I've stayed, but London in general has dodgy hostels full-stop. The staff are helpful and friendly - just remember to ask for your bedding, as they didn't give me mine without my asking.

Breakfast is basic and not very nice, but it fills the gap before starting your day. Cereal, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, toast and jam. There's internet for £1/half hour and there's a bar downstairs that's suitable enough if you're young and looking to meet other backpackers. As I was with my Mother this time around, we weren't very interested in that feature. As our room was up on the third floor and the bar was in the basement, we never heard any disturbances.

Unique Quality: The location is the real seller for this hostel. Situated a few buildings up from Kensington Gardens, right near Queensway and all the shops, cafes and restaurants there, you shouldn't want for amenities. You can take the tube into the centre (a few short stops) - the tube station is on the District and Circle lines, so you're in the centre already, essentially. I caught the bus just a few dozen metres from the hostel, and it's only a few minutes' ride over to Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus. The buses run frequently, and it's easy to get home at the end of your day as well.

You're also just a short walk from Notting Hill Gate, if you choose to head in the opposite direction from the centre.

Directions: Just off Bayswater Street, it's one street over from Queensway Road.

• huwhit's Profile Photo

CHEAP BED : : TOP LOCATION

I have stayed here a couple of times now and it continues to amaze me how I can pay so little yet stay in such a top area of London. You really feel like a star out at the Kensington/Notting Hill area, there is a huge array of International resturants and cafes nearby, and the area is served by two Tube stations within very easu walking distance.

Unique Quality: The location and price of this Hostel really sells it. But there staff a young, cheerful, friendly and from an array of countries themselves.

Directions: Queesnway or Bayswater Tube (Central and City/District Lines respectively.)

• PolyAna's Profile Photo

Best Hostel In london!!

The Hostel is GREAT!! There are many rooms.. something like 200+ beds and an awesome bar in the basement... You should really stay here if you're looking to party it up and meet some crazy peole!!! Oh, did I mention that happy hour is from 7-10p and drinks are only 2 pounds each!!??

Unique Quality: Bar
    Huge TV room
    Across the street from Hyde Park!!!

Directions: NE corner of Hyde Park