Athena

Athena Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about London

Antique railway carriage, London Transport MuseumAntique railway carriage, London Transport Museum

Carnaby Street (1)Carnaby Street (1)

Exterior (2)Exterior (2)

The Grand ceilingThe Grand ceiling

Seeking London VTers

by al_mary

Greetings from the USA,

My wife and I will be visiting London again in September.
We will be staying in Norfolk Square near Paddington.

What is the weather like there in September? We will be
there for 5 days, September 16th - 21st.

If possible, we would like to meet local VTer's who live
in London while we are there. If you are a local and would
like to meet up while we are there, please send us an e-mail.

Maybe an active local VTer can set up a meet so others may
also attend .......

Happy Travels,

Al and Mary / USA

by Dabs

Look on the London meeting page, Jo104 has set up a meeting for the 17th-19th, she's doing a treasure hunt and it also happens to be Open House weekend.

by wise23girl

How good is that. Jo104 is so great.

by leics

As for weather, if we could predict UK weather so far in advance we would be very happy.

We have trouble predicting it from day to day! As a general rule, you may expect it to be mild-to-warm, quite possibly rainy (or not), more likely to be cloudy than sunny (as is the norm in the UK) and chillier when the sun sets.

It could pour with rain all the time you are here or it could be very warm and sunny indeed. We just do not know.

Climate averages here will give you a rough idea:

and then check the weather forecast for London a few days before you come (but don't expect it to be absolutely accurate!):

Bring rainproof outerwear and an umbrella anyway, and clothes you can layer (necessary all through the year in the UK). Central London has its own microclimate because of people/vehicles/heating etc.

And do join in the Treasure Hunt. It will be great fun! :-)

Here are the details on the Treasure Hunt VT meeting:

by smirnofforiginal

Re. weather - the last few years September has been one of the nicest months - very summery. I know this because it is vile all of the school summer holidays and then as soon as we go back out pops Mr. Sunshine!

Would go with Leics. idea of checking nearer to the time but if you have a couple of lightweight layers and a (waterproof) lightweight jacket am sure you will be absolutely fine)

by leics

>I know this because it is vile all of the school summer holidays and then as soon as we go back out pops Mr. Sunshine!<

So very true. However, that tends to be early September.but mid-September things are getting back to normal.

Exam time (early to mid-June also tends towards the warm and sunny. :-(

If you are used to warmer weather (?) you may well find our 'warm' to be somewhat chilly, so do take account of that.

by jo104

You are more then welcome to sign up for the treasure hunt it will give you the opportunity to explore an interesting area of London very off the tourist trail and also meet some fabulous vt'ers. You could also just join us for the meal in the evening on the 18th or indeed the Jack the Ripper walk on the friday night.

Last year we had 4 international guests which was great. It falls over london house open weekend so you will be able to see some grade listed buildings for free.

by planxty

I will be at the Treasure Hunt, therefore I will definitely be in town over that period. apart from the Treasure Hunt, I would be glad to meet up some other time and show you round a bit.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Travel Tips for London

Famous Red Telephone Booths

by ATXtraveler

I was amazed at how efficient these telephone booths were. Very state of the art for the time, however I have not been back since cell phones really have hit the rage.

Maybe someone could fill me in.... are these still frequented now that everyone is armed with a pocket phone booth?

What to wear...

by miclev21

As I was exploring the city on my own during the week, I wanted to 'fit' in as much as possible. I never wore sneakers, bad jeans, etc. I was always dressed up and looking like I had a purpose. I found my experience to be more enjoyable than when I had been there a year before as a new graduate. All of it?

Covent Garden

by pili

The Covent Garden market, used to be the main groucers market in London. Now it contains shops with specialitties and cafés and it is full of street performers.-
It´s a nice place to go to have lunch. Don´t miss it!

Este mercado fue uno de los más importantes mercados de verdura de Londres. Actualmente, existen allí muchos negocios y cafés y está lleno de artistas callejeros.
Es un buen lugar para almorzar. No se lo pierdan!

Outdoor artists

by Jenniflower

During my wanderings in London and Greater London, I have happened upon an artist a few times.

The photo shows an artist with his easel at Putney Bridge, when I was waiting for a bus. It is not a great photo as I didnt want to make it too obvious I was photographing him!

He was painting the River Thames and there were two barges on the shore too. It was an impressionistic-style painting which I thought was rather good!

Other places I have come across artists have been at The Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park, and once at St James Park, near Buckingham Palace.

Even amidst the harried life of a huge city like this, it is satisfying to know that others find piece within the hustle and bustle and take out their canvas and paintbrush and get creative!

I should take a leaf out of their book...

Musicals! I have actually...

by siri

Musicals! I have actually never been to a musical in London, but next time....
On Leicester Square you find The Half Price Ticket Booth where you can snap up last-minute bargain tickets for many of London's top shows.

Comments