Bay Tree House Bed & Breakfast

59 Brookdale , New Southgate, London, N11 1BS, United Kingdom

More about Bay Tree House Bed & Breakfast

We agree! The reviews are true! It is wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member florida45

My wife, 14 year old daughter and I stayed at Bay Tree House for three nights late in July, 2006. As reported in other reviews it is a superb B&B in a great area. We arrived at Heathrow and, as suggested by James and Janice, took the Tube. The Arnos Grove station very near Bay Tree House is an easy and inexpensive trip -- no train changes. Also, the nearby Tube is a major plus for easy access to all of the incredible sightseeing that London has to offer.

The B&B itself is beautiful and comfortable. Breakfast was perfect and cooked to order. James and Janice are wonderful people and friendly helpful hosts that made our stay very, very enjoyable.

We can't imagine a better place to stay in London!!

The Only Place to Stay in London

by TripAdvisor Member Frogvillequeen

My 18-year old daughter and I stayed with James and Janice the first week of July. From the moment we entered their house we were made to feel welcome. It was a hot day, and they whisked us out to their porch for a cool drink, snacks, and wonder ful conversation with them and a friend of theirs. James then carried our bags upstairs, and we followed to quickly freshen up before hitting the streets of London. We were so enthralled with the beautiful room with its large full-sized shower (with excellent pressure and temperature--not always easy to find in London) that it was hard to tear ourselves away. James provided us with discount coupons, Oyster Cards (saved the time and money we would have spent buying them ourselves, and we just reloaded them before returning them to him at the end of our stay), and lots of advice about things to see and the fastest way to get there.
Breakfasts were great. Janice really knocks herself out daily to provide lots of choices in cereals, breads, fruit, jams, and juices. The fried breakfast is made to order and delicious. Before we left for the day, she encouraged us to take our choice of fruit and granola bars for mid-day snacks, and gave us each a cold bottle of water to take with us. Eating out in London is very expensive, so this was much appreciated.
Bay Tree House is very convenient to the tube station, and we felt safe walking through the neighborhood at any time of the day or night. We slept with the windows open, and found the street to be quiet enough to sleep undisturbed. There is an internet cafe with very reasonable prices at the top of the street which was a convenient stop on our daily trips in and out of the city. One stop north on the tube we found grocery stores, a post office, banks, restaurants (ask Janice and James about special deals on certain nights) and lots of shops.
The day we left James arranged a taxi to take us to Stansted, which again saved time, money, and aggravation. We left our luggage with our hosts and enjoyed another day in London instead of having to lug bags up and down the steps at tube stations and across town to the train station.
We can't say enough about the wonderful experience we had at Bay Tree House, and encourage anyone visiting London to make it their home away from home. We know we will never stay anywhere else on our future visits to the city.

Warm, Welcoming, and Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member kio4

My husband and I stayed at the Bay Tree House B&B in September. I have to say we were very pleased with this bed and breakfast. Our room and ensuite was very lovely and was well maintained throughout our stay. The owners, Janice and James, went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and well fed. They also helped us improve our itinerary and made sure we knew the correct route to travel for our daily excursions. As an added bonus they gave us savings coupons for some of the popular tourist attractions! I would recommend this location to anyone. The food is excellent and in abundance. You should try the Kippers!!

Look no further for the perfect accomodation!

by TripAdvisor Member EJClem

Reviews that sound too good to be true usually are, but there aren't enough superlatives in the English language to describe the Bay Tree House B&B. James and Janice are two of the warmest people my husband and I have ever met. Their hospitality made our recent five-day sightseeing trip to London all the more memorable - at a fraction of the cost of an impersonal hotel.
We arrived from Heathrow airport late at night (via the tube, which was quite convenient) and felt totally safe during the quick walk to the B&B. James welcomed us with a drink and snack and then he and my husband proceeded to solve the political problems of the world as if they had known each other for years! The next morning we met Janice who offered us a delicious array of muffins, fresh breads, bagels, homemade jams, fruits and juices - followed by a cooked to order hot breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and even quiche. Where else can you enjoy such a wonderful meal while engaging in stimulating conversation with other couples from South Africa and Pakistan??? We were encouraged to take some healthy snacks with us on our day's travels and offered bottles of water, both of which came in handy.
Our room was quiet, comfortable and cozy, looking out on the back yard. The private bathroom was quite large and had an excellent shower. Every night when we returned, it felt like we were coming home - we didn't even lock our room while we were gone all day!
James and Janice were a wealth of information about the London area and had stacks of brochures in the dining room for reference. They checked our itinerary each day to see if they had any discount coupons and were always interested in tourist tips (restaurants, etc.) that they could share with future guests. The internet cafe at the corner was cheap and convenient for checking email, making reservations and purchasing attraction tickets. At first I was concerned about the 20-minute tube ride to get into central London, but it was a great opportunity to check the maps and guide books and plan our day.
I can't wait until our next European trip so we can spend a few days in London at the Bay Tree House again. It's a place you leave reluctantly...only after taking pictures, exchanging hugs, and feeling like you've made new friends.

Face Facts People You'd Be Crazy to go anywhere Else!

by TripAdvisor Member WoodyNumba1

James and Janice know how to make people comfortable in their presence. It is a unique ability to be able to make one feel at home when they are thousands of miles away; but they have the knack to do this. All you read is true. My girlfriend and I (now fiance!) stayed here a total of x4 nights in September in disjoined x2 night legs. We experienced x2 rooms due to this, and can say that accomodation wise you will likely not get better in a 4 star plus hotel. The beds are comfy. The place is quiet. The views from the top room are picturesque. The park just behind is relaxing and serene. It has it all- and more given the low rate paid. Quite simply you will not get better value. Anywhere. Period. Trust me. I was a sceptic too. However within moments of arriving you know that you have chosen well (which I might add is a credit to this great site.) You will read stories of how James and Janice helped their guests by providing a great brekkie, bottles of water, etc. We had the forturne of being driven by them to our car rental pick up spot (which equated incidentally to a 16 pound cab fee) with no expectation of a monetary payment. Now how many hotels would do that for you I ask? By all means give this place a go. But not too many people I hope, coz one day I want to come back- without having to wait a year on a list- which I'm sure will happen. Thanks Janice and James for a great stay and your wonderful company and assistance during our trip. PS: No hard feelings James when the Aussies win back the Ashes this summer!

Our Best B&B Experience Ever

by TripAdvisor Member LKY

My husband and I have made it a practice to stay at B&Bs whenever we travel. We've had some wonderful experiences and enjoyed almost all of them, but this was far and away our best experience because of our charming and warm host and hostess, James and Janice. In terms of physical accommodations, our room was comfortable and given the once over daily and the bathroom was comfortably large. The common rooms were also homey. But what made this our vote for best B&B was the personal attention and graciousness of Janice and James. You can do no better if you want to experience London by staying with people who have no other motive but to ensure that you enjoy yourselves and feel at home away from home.

Like Staying at Mom's

by TripAdvisor Member igettheheat

Everything everyone has written is all so true. The rooms are comfy, bright and clean. They've anticipated everything -- like hair dryers, alarm clocks, adaptors for U.S. travelers, shampoo, conditioner and TOOTHPASTE (which we can no longer carry with us). The shower was brand new, roomy, sparkling clean, large, and endless hot water. The neighborhood is very quiet. We hit the bed (comfy feather bed cover) and were out instanteously - until the alarm clock sounded in the morning.

The breakfast was unbelievable. First, there was a breathtaking table full of pastries, muffins, scones, crumpets, bagels, and other fancy breads, cereals, juices, teas, coffees, and fruits, including some exotic ones. That's the appetizer. Janice cooks up a meat and eggs breakfast that would easily cost you 25 pounds elsewhere. You won't need lunch.

You can't leave the place for your day without Janice packing you up with water and snacks to get you through.

You come home at night and they've cleaned up your room and they're waiting to hear about your day.

Janice and James are also very helpful about transportation and itinerary if you're uncertain. They secured our tube cards for us, which was very helpful.

Everything about the place is wonderful, and you won't believe the price. You'll think it's a mistake when you hear it.

The one thing you do need to know is that it's a good 30 minute tube ride to Victoria. It's an easy ride with one very easy transfer, but the location being that far out makes it a little tough to stop "home" in the afternnoon, for example, to freshen up or change clothes for the evening.

That said, you will be very happy with your stay.

The Best Birthday Present Ever

by TripAdvisor Member Sauleszakis

My boyfriend and me have visited London for a first time. Of course, very important argument where to stay was location and price.

We have found out this amazing B&B guesthouse in Internet, so we weren’t sure about the quality. But the result was wonderful - it was very close to the very centre of London (about 20 - 25 minutes by tube), B&B owners so nice, hospitable and sympathetic people, very beautiful and comfortable old English-style Rose room and bathroom, delicious and rich breakfast (after that we eat lunch/dinner after 5.p.m.) and sometime hot tea after all day long walkabout London...

Even if you are in the most beautiful place of the world, in the place of you dreams, bad quality place to stay can spoil the conception of the country. That is why it is very important to start and to end the day in the quiet place of harmony.

This is a place, where we recommend here to our friends and relatives if they plan to visit London. We both would like to come again. Hopefully, next spring to research London more.. We don't have disagreements where to stay...

too good to be true but really it is

by TripAdvisor Member LittleGrand

If you enjoy going to sleep in a clean comfortable, spacious, quiet bed where the sheets get ironed before the bed is made up, coming down for a hot/cold wonderful breakfast cooked to order, having someone help out with insider information about where you plan to go for the day and being provided with bottled water and snacks before you head out, and enjoy casual conversations with fellow travelers or the quiet of your own room with it's own television this place might be for you if you're lucky enough to get a room - take it.
My husband and I just spent a week exploring London and stayed with Janice & James in their lovely B&B. While it's true that it isn't central it is convenient enough to get to on the Picadilly line then just 1/2 block. Once there you will be so well cared for and your entire experience will be enhanced. We were greeted at the front door by James who took our bags up to our room (clean, quiet,spacious, our own spacious bathroom with large glassed in shower) and told us when we were ready to come down for a cup of hot tea. Every morning an impressive breakfast with many choices ranging from full English to pastries and fresh fruits or cereals and yoghurt, not to mention delicious quiche. Meeting other guests and discussing the days plans added to the homey feeling.

Returning one of the days from an exhausting walk around London I staggered down the street to the B & B and managed to plant my shoe in the only pile of dog @@# I'd seen on our travels. After gagging while trying to scrape it off my husband advised me to just leave them outside and he'd clean them up later. Well, James took one look at me and decided I needed a glass of pear cider which I sat down to enjoy and started to revive. Meanwhile Janice found my shoes outside and retrieved them and I had to explain why they were left outside. James disappeared and when he returned he had my cleaned shoes. That is definitely above and beyond.

Miriam& Jack

You won't be disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Sunshade3

This is the second time we have visited (once in August and last weekend) It just felt like home from home. We were made very welcome, on arrival we had a beer with James and then set off for the sights of London. The tube is 5 mins walk away and it takes 20 mins to get to Covent Garden. We had a lovely room and lovely breakfasts each day. Janice provided us with water and chocolate biscuits for the day. You just cannot fault this place...I cannot see how anyone would not enjoy their stay there..
Its excellent value and we would like to visit a lot more often.

Comments